Help with away 4-3-3 tactic

I'm currently in my second season as Arsenal. My principal tactic, which works reasonably well, is an all-out attack 4-2-3-1, which scores more goals than it concedes. This season, I'm trying to make a more defensively stable tactic for use in away games when blowing the opponent away won't work. I want to patiently control the game without exposing myself too much to counter attacks.

So far, I have:

______________CF(A)

________(Lewandowski/Giroud)

___AP(S)___________________ W(A)

_(Ozil/Cazorla)____________(Walcott/Ox)

________DLP(S)________BBM(S)

___(Ramsey/Arteta)___(Wilshere/Ox)

______________A(D)

____________(Bender)

FB(A)____CD(D)______CD(D)____ FB(S)

(Gibbs)__(Batra)_____(Mertes.)__(Sagna)

Balanced and control, with retain possesion, shorter passing, drill crosses, higher tempo, more expressive, hassle opponents, tighter marking, overlap.

No individual instructions except for the BBM(S) to push higher up and dribble more (Wilshere), and for the AP(S) (Cazorla/Ozil) to sit narrower.

So far, it seems reasonably defensively solid, but I'm having a problem with a lack of chances. So far I've only used this against other big sides, so that might be the cause, but I'd like to be able to get 3-4 clear chances a match away against bigger sides. Any suggestions? The wide AP(S) also seems to have trouble and low ratings lots of games. I've also tried making the defensive mid something a bit more ambitious than a simple anchorman, but that seems to lead to lots of goals conceded.

Does your AP lose the ball a lot as overlap instruction forces you wide players to hold up the ball to allow your full back time to get past them so opposing fullbacks /wingers or BWM may be stopping him from passing/crossing or even getting off a shot.

Your striker may be isolated, and I'm not sure how far forward the BBM is getting?

You have a few options. You could tweak the striker to a Support Duty, you could reconsider the AMR Role, and you could change the MC Roles to give you a more effective deep runner.

I play a counter attacking 41221, balanced.

Gk

Fb(s)cb©cb©fb(a) [hold position PI on all]

am(d)

DLP(s) bbm(s)

W(a) W(a)

P(a)

Sometimes (player dependent) I switch a winger to an inside forward but only ever one. For team instructions I have hassle opposition, more direct passing set as team instructions and game dependent I add to those to change the way we counter. I also sometimes change the DLP to alp and if my poacher is getting isolated I sometimes change it to a DLF(s) or tm depending on who I have available for selection.

I manage Norwich so not really an arsenal size or ability of squad but this tactic works brilliantly for me against bigger sides / away from home, particularly with some of the pace I have in attack.

Archived