3-man attack

What would be your setup? Would you give it a go or not?

I consider 3-man forward line to be very good solution when combined with direct play and solid, 2-man DM.

Currrently I'm testing two setups. More cautious:

DLF(s) - P - DLF(s)

and attacking one:

P - DLF(s) - P

DLF's are to pick direct ball from Regista/DC/CWB and pass it through to an advancing Poacher or lay it off for CWB's or CM(a)'s rapid runs.

Question: do you think two DLF's would get in each other's way? Shouldn't I use one of them rather in a Target Man role to make him more static?

If I were to play three STs, I would try to give them very dynamic roles to avoid having them crowd one another. First, you want attack duties at STL and STR to ensure they move into channels. Second, I would go for Advanced Forwards over Poachers so they roam as much as possible and stretch the defence for one another. If they all just crowd the centre, the opposition defence will stay compact and you'll just have them attacking a series of hopeful crosses. For the centre role, I would consider a false nine, so you make the most use of space behind the STs.

With three STs, it's also not really a question of being more cautious or more attacking since none of them will be contributing a whole lot in the defensive phase.

I play a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond which is effectively a 3-man attack, with my AMC as an SS, one striker as a F9 and the other as AF. It seems to work really well; the AF pushes the defence back and tries to get in behind, the F9 drops into midfield to find space and collect the ball, whilst the SS bursts from deep and runs at the defence, exploiting gaps created by the front two.

It's my take on Liverpool's system, with Sterling re-trained as an AMC to play the SS role.

I play an old fashioned 4-3-3. And Currently use 2DLF's S and an AF A. As my Strikers. The AF seems to be off sides a lot. I am thinking of replacing the AF with a poacher and the central DLF with a False 9 or Target man.

Current Set Up: AF=A__________DLF=S_______________DLF=S

I was playing in the Skrill Premier League and the Center DLF scored 31 goals in 46 games one season. The AF banged in 25 and would have doubled it if hadn't had a goal a gamed disallowed for offsides.

It also helps to have attacking midfielders to clean up rebounds behind the strikers.

Is Complete Forward (support) a holding player?

He can/does hold the ball up, but he is not a static player, his movement is excellent, and he can be a very mobile player too.

Archived