Steaton's 'Total Annihilation' 4231 - v14.3.1 - Finally Nailed It - Plug and Play

Still working well using the Deep Lying Playmaker set to defensive. Seven wins and one draw through eight games to start the season. Lost to Manchester City in the Capital One Cup, but I played a lot of youth to rest players.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i downloaded this tactic yesterday for my Bradford save (i wanted to build a team over time) and have had very mixed results. Im putting this down to the fact i have some god awful players especially in defence. After 4 hours of playing my results have been mostly positive, a couple of poor defeats against teams who have had 1 shot on goal and won but on the whole im impressed.

i have been using steatons invicible 4231 but this has helped me kick on. Im looking forward to seeing what it can do as the tactic becomes 100% fluid (3 are at accomplished) but hopefully i will get promoted with it.

Can anyone tell me why that when you download the tactic it doesnt match what steaton has uploaded. For example, mentality is set to attacking and MCR is set as AP not DP. is this a newer version?

Great work as always, Steaton, thanks

Still working well using the Deep Lying Playmaker set to defensive. Seven wins and one draw through eight games to start the season. Lost to Manchester City in the Capital One Cup, but I played a lot of youth to rest players.

doesn't work with me :(

Brilliant tactic!!! In my second season with Nottingham Forest in the championship: P 46 W 36 D 9 L 3 126-48 111 points.

But the defending has been sloppy at times, a lot of long balls over the top of the central defenders. I looked more in detail at the instructions and i see that it uses a offside trap for the defending, but the shape instructions says "drop deeper". Isn´t this a contradiction?

Offside trap and at the same time drop deeper? The other options are Push higher up and Much higher defensive line. I would think that those two options would work better with the offside trap...

But at the same time the tactic has brought me promotion in glorious fashion so i haven´t tried changing it.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes which is why I was surprised that it works so well - best of both worlds it seems, deeper plus offside combination really seemed to work better on average.

i downloaded this tactic yesterday for my Bradford save (i wanted to build a team over time) and have had very mixed results. Im putting this down to the fact i have some god awful players especially in defence. After 4 hours of playing my results have been mostly positive, a couple of poor defeats against teams who have had 1 shot on goal and won but on the whole im impressed.

i have been using steatons invicible 4231 but this has helped me kick on. Im looking forward to seeing what it can do as the tactic becomes 100% fluid (3 are at accomplished) but hopefully i will get promoted with it.

Can anyone tell me why that when you download the tactic it doesnt match what steaton has uploaded. For example, mentality is set to attacking and MCR is set as AP not DP. is this a newer version?

Great work as always, Steaton, thanks

As always tactics familiarity is less important than player familiarity and cohesion which you can see during match under assistant feedback and can see after match in last game team talk feedback. Player familiarity and cohesion takes far longer than tactic familiarity.

As always tactics familiarity is less important than player familiarity and cohesion which you can see during match under assistant feedback and can see after match in last game team talk feedback. Player familiarity and cohesion takes far longer than tactic familiarity.

Any new tweak or new version ?

Tried the V2 version of this tactic with Monaco, and after promising pre-season results, am afraid to report it has been wildly inconsistent in the league. Although we had significantly more shots than the opposition, it seemed like we were simply not scoring enough while conceding from silly mistakes. Just 4 wins in 10 matches has prompted me to try the modified 4-3-3 version instead...promising start, beat PSG 2-1. Hopefully this is the start of something good.

Any suggestions on how to improve player cohesion btw? Apparently my team has a worrying lack of cohesion atm!

Tried the V2 version of this tactic with Monaco, and after promising pre-season results, am afraid to report it has been wildly inconsistent in the league. Although we had significantly more shots than the opposition, it seemed like we were simply not scoring enough while conceding from silly mistakes. Just 4 wins in 10 matches has prompted me to try the modified 4-3-3 version instead...promising start, beat PSG 2-1. Hopefully this is the start of something good.

Any suggestions on how to improve player cohesion btw? Apparently my team has a worrying lack of cohesion atm!

Monaco have a tough start always due to massive changes made under new sugar daddy even before you make any signings yourself. Not a good example in first season. Very High team cohesion and high teamwork pre match to improve cohesion - in fact its the only way to get Monaco firing - more important than tactics or fitness though a little of these is needed. Focus on stability and cautious with team talks and when talking to players in general - passionate is a noo go area as is agressive. Stick to calm and cautious and take pressure off when opportunity arises.

Monaco have a tough start always due to massive changes made under new sugar daddy even before you make any signings yourself. Not a good example in first season. Very High team cohesion and high teamwork pre match to improve cohesion - in fact its the only way to get Monaco firing - more important than tactics or fitness though a little of these is needed. Focus on stability and cautious with team talks and when talking to players in general - passionate is a noo go area as is agressive. Stick to calm and cautious and take pressure off when opportunity arises.

That's 100% true.

I've just started a new save with Leeds United and I'm using this tactic (v2) and my team plays amazing! For away games against better teams sometimes I change to my another tactic (defensive and counter-attack) and it works great as well. After 11 games I'm first in Championship with 8 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses. I think I finally found a save that I can play for a long time:) Cheers man, you're a genius!

Okay, thanks for the advice :) I'd agree with your analysis based on my results so far, although the 4-3-3 version appears to suit the players slightly better. I'll try and take the pressure off, hopefully this will see results improve. Although we're only 4pts off the top - its just there seems to be immense pressure to produce instant results, unsurprisingly.

This is a great tactic, absolutely, but the defeding is quite horrible. I'm playing with Cambuur Leeuwarden, a small club in Holland, and I'm standing on a great fifth place. We score a lot of goals, but conceded just as much. After a horrible start my team react great and we having great result now. I don't dare to change anything, because I am afraid that it will influence the attacking football.

I can't show screenshots, but at the moment my team scores and conceded the most in the league. That feels really strange. Anybody who has tweaks/changes to improve the defending? I am using V2 btw.

This is a great tactic, absolutely, but the defeding is quite horrible. I'm playing with Cambuur Leeuwarden, a small club in Holland, and I'm standing on a great fifth place. We score a lot of goals, but conceded just as much. After a horrible start my team react great and we having great result now. I don't dare to change anything, because I am afraid that it will influence the attacking football.

I can't show screenshots, but at the moment my team scores and conceded the most in the league. That feels really strange. Anybody who has tweaks/changes to improve the defending? I am using V2 btw.

I'm having good luck using a Deep-Lying Playmaker set to defensive as stated earlier in the thread. In my opinion, you need someone in midfield to link with the back four. My offense has not been slowed down at all and my defense seems solid, including a few clean sheets. Maybe you can try this change?

I don't know why but it seems the tactic stopped working in my Leeds United. As I wrote earlier, after 11 games I was first in the Championship, but now my results aren't as good as they were. Actually they are really bad. In 5 last matches I won 1 game, draw 2 and lose 3. The defence is tragic - almost each opponent's action is dangerous and ends with a goal. When I be home I will try this idea with Deep-Lying playmaker that you write about - I hope it helps.

Hi, i've done lots of experimenting tweaking to this tactic etc.... but after all of that I am back to the original V2 and from all my tests etc the only tweak I do is : If you are favourite for the match then use the normal version 2 and if you are not favourite I have made a minor tweak to show the defensive line as push up this also includes evens favourite, so you have to be clear favourite to use the normal V2 that has a drop deep defensive line included or if evens favourite or not favourite then use version 2 with a push up defensive line.... works almost perfect without very low 'awkward' familiarity

Hi, i've done lots of experimenting tweaking to this tactic etc.... but after all of that I am back to the original V2 and from all my tests etc the only tweak I do is : If you are favourite for the match then use the normal version 2 and if you are not favourite I have made a minor tweak to show the defensive line as push up this also includes evens favourite, so you have to be clear favourite to use the normal V2 that has a drop deep defensive line included or if evens favourite or not favourite then use version 2 with a push up defensive line.... works almost perfect without very low 'awkward' familiarity

Could you tell me what exactly should I change? Do you mean in team instructions I should add something and remove? Sorry I'm not a native speaker of english:)

this tactic is so poor defensively. the amount of goals conceded from counter breaks is unreal. just played a home game, opp had 8 shots on goal 5 ccc and scored 3. I had 23 shots on goal with 6 ccc.

steaton, any way you can help me out?

This is the best offensive tactic for FM 14 but at the same time it's very poor defensively. It helped me to promote with Leeds United in the first season anyway (I used it in the first part of the season bucause later it stopped working), so thanks a lot Steaton.

I started using the v2 version earlier but it was poor for me and the defending was shocking. So I switched to the v1 version and results have improved and Im conceding less goals. I put the DLP on Defensive and that seems to work better. IMO the v1 is a lot better.

With Steatons previous tactic this is what I did, and I've done the same with this one, it offers the back four a simple out ball, to someone who can actually pass, thus allowing the defence to link well with the attack. I find it works well for me as well.

Ive used both tactics for a few more seasons and its got shockingly bad, concede atleast 2 goals every game and the tactic is so inconsistent. Im about to try aby's tweaked version to see if I have any luck with that.

Ive used both tactics for a few more seasons and its got shockingly bad, concede atleast 2 goals every game and the tactic is so inconsistent. Im about to try aby's tweaked version to see if I have any luck with that.

Aby's version is a bit better IMHO so you want the best go for that - still it has its off days - but best for plug and play if you dont tweak in game (good tweaking requires watching on > key - comprehensive for instance if game looks tough - but that is for anal peeps like me)

Aby's version is a bit better IMHO so you want the best go for that - still it has its off days - but best for plug and play if you dont tweak in game (good tweaking requires watching on > key - comprehensive for instance if game looks tough - but that is for anal peeps like me)

Where can I find the tweaked version ?

I've found this to be great against weaker teams but useless against teams of similar quality.. Getting destroyed by teams around the same level as my Chelsea team, lately by losing 5-2 to Spurs in the Premier League

Hi there!

First off, thanks for sharing the tactics!

I'm playing with Paris Saint-Germain into 2015-2016 with this tactic from 2014-2015 (1st season used your earlier Invincible tactic). '14-'15 season was a good one where I was on unbeaten league streak for 38 matches. Dumped out of CL in QF against B. Munich though (Draw at home and loss 3-1 away). This season however has been a bit inconsistent. I'm still winning but the losses were odd and morale dropped very fast after losing eventhough it was high before the match. It's worth noting that the losses usually go on a streak or after a draw (fixtures posted below). Team reactions to team talks are positive, players have "extremely strong understanding". I notice that the team often concedes at either the beginning of 2nd half or the end of the game. No tweaks were made during the matches whatsoever.

fixtures.png

GoalsF-A.png

GoalsF-A2.png

Most goals are conceded from placed shots, assisted by passes

The team depth below is probably not enough to challenge for CL yet but I still snatch wins from B.Munich, R.Madrid or Barca when I'm in group stage with them, never lost on both leggs.

PSG-team-depth.png

Some PKM for failed to win matches if you're interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tw73fb8jdqqhsjt/LOSC_v_Paris_Saint-Germain.pkm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mayciz17h2imo0d/Olympique_Lyonnais_v_Paris_Saint-Germain.pkm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ykje567jyenmeo/Beşiktaş_v_Paris_Saint-Germain.pkm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0qne204llkklnop/AS_Nancy_Lorraine_v_Paris_Saint-Germain.pkm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t9gzqs0i6x7i39f/Paris_Saint-Germain_v_Toulouse_FC.pkm

In conclusion, I find this tactic very strong offensively but somewhat vulnerable defensively. My defence is not the best (see squad depth above) but I think it requires a lot of work to get thru them. Most of the wins, I think, IMHO, is due to the devastation of the attack that freeze the opponent to death. Because the high tempo, the added support from CWB, the MC roles make it practically 8 players doing the offensive task at the same time. If any opponent manages to hold their ground for 45 to 60 minutes, the tactic will run its course. With relentless unsuccessful attempts to score, the opponent will be able to snatch a goal or two on counter. This tactic allows me to come back from 1 goal, but never from 2 goals or higher, especially after 55th-60th minute. Sometimes, I did lose or draw after leading 2 goals although I think it's the complacency more than the tactic.

Off topic: It's been a while since I last play FM (skipped 2011, 2012, 2013) but clearly the game is making a joke about team talks, despite positive reactions (green highlight) from players, their performance still abymal (after half time), their morale still goes down (after full time).

***Edit: This season turned out to be the best season where I clinched the league, Coupe de France and the prized CL. The key change (I think) I made was in the training. I set general training and match training to teamwork for 2 months or so (for new players to gel). After that, I changed to defense training for both general and match training. The goal turnover still impressive (102 in the league; 35 in CL; 19 in 6 Cup matches) and the defense seem to be better. Will play another season with this tactic and the same training routine to see more.

Cheers!

im doing really well with this tactic, ive tried it with loads of teams and always seem to get results, the defensive side is sometimes a bit leaky, but make sure your 2 CB's have 15 or more on teamwork and the team is near enough fully gelled and you will be laughing.

I set my match training and general training on tactics until fully gelled then on team cohesion until they have a good understanding or more, and then defensively on both it works a treat. I allow rest after the match and have my scheduling on -10 to the right on the bar.

Also ive found that the attributes for the positions play a part as well, theres no point playing someone who has good winger stats in IF as it doesnt really seem to work for me, make sure you try and at least have the majority of the attributes needed over 12 for the position you need.

I'm using Hull in the Premier League and while winning I'm finding goals hard to come by.

I'm getting 18-20 shots per match, but only 3-4 on target and only 2-3 ccc.

The Team is listed as Accomplished in Tactics and Mentality & my players generally have 3.5 to 4 star ratings - with my striker last season having lead the league with 23 goals.

Question:

In checking my settings I noticed the Tac Screen shows two CM's set to the roles of CM left - Support and CM right - Attack

However, when checking the Player Instruction the CM left is set to Box to Box with the Duty of Support and the CM left is set as Deep Lying Playmaker -Support.

I reloaded the original V1 and these setting were apparent there also

Which is Correct?

I really wanted to stay away from downloading tactics and preferred to do it on my own to learn how to play the game. But I'm struggling mightily in my second season at Leeds and was on the hot seat. Since putting in this tactic and using it "plug and play" with no changed to the default I am 7-2-2.

2 of the wins were in FA Cup and Paint Trophy matches, the rest (5-2-2) were in League 1 matches. One of the losses, 2-3 to Preston was a match I should have won and had a late two goal collapse. Definitely seeing an increase in shots and On Target per game. Still a bit leaky on defense, allowing about 2 goals per match. I did have five clean sheets in a row however (including the FA Cup and Paint Trophy matches that we won).

I still need to gain an understanding of why a tactic works and how to set them up to best work with my team though...

Update: I'm on a 9-3-2 run in my last 14 matches. I've climbed into 5th position in the standings.

- I have the tactic set up twice, once for when I'm favored once for when I'm the underdog or even odds.

- The only thing I have been changing is dropping the Short Passing in bad weather.

update; We've moved to 19-9-10 on the season. Winning more matches so that's a great thing! But as others have noted I seem to be losing to the teams I should beat. Last two losses: lost 0-2 to Newport and to Swindon by the same score. Both games at home. Swindon rated 14th, Newport 20th just outside relegation.

So, a question. In my third season with Leeds. Season one I used a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1 variation) with great success. Season two I was struggling and as noted above on the verge of being sacked. I got this tactic and finished fourth and lost in the playoff finals, just missing promotion. Third season I am two matches in and heavily favored in both. However I lost both badly, 0-2 to Swindon in our SBL1 opener and then 1-3 against Hartlepool in the Capital One cup opener (we were projected to reach the 3rd or 4th round so this is a gut shot). Both games were at home to boot.

Is there any tweaks that need (or should) be made after a season with your tactic? Of course as noted last year we always seemed to lose to teams we were heavily favored against. So not sure. Plugging ahead but figured I'd ask the question before I got too far into the season.

(edit) So after the rocky start we have run off four in a row, winning 4-0, 3-1, 2-0, 4-0; so three clean sheets. Two home and two road games. Still I'd be interested in feedback to the original question (in bold above).

Also, I run two varying takes on your tactic. Your basic v.2 plug and play when I am favored and then as noted on page four, I changed the Box to Box support MF to a DLP defending mid and the "drop deeper" changed to "push higher". I use that variation when I'm the underdog or even odds. I'm also thinking because it does have two variations it's not considered the "same tactic" by the game so the AI isn't locking down on the shape. That's just a guess though but it's really picked up as of late.

Hi man, I did play with Leeds too and I could recommend you something. In the first season I used this tactic but only against much weaker teams and playing at home. For the rest of the games I used this tactic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/390304-Pipson.Tv-4231-Triangle-is-back!-Treble-with-Spurs-NO-Transfers-almost-quadruple! (counter attack version). It helped me a lot as I won the Championship:)

Well 1 game into trying the 2nd version. I won 1-0 but I don't think I'll be continuing with this tactic. First thing I noticed when loading up was there was only 2 outfield players (the centre halves) with any sort of defensive duty, you might argue the BBM but still he is not a holding player. So I changed the BBM to a DLP (s) to add a bit more cover considering the Wing backs were bombing on. Up until 80 minutes I had 15 shots and 1 on target (!!!) I made a sub and added work ball into box and reduced the tempo, then removed pass into space as we were giving the ball away far too much and my subsitute Ramirez popped up with a goal. A few positives - Luke Shaw linked up really well with Rodriguez and really came into his own evidenced by the man of the match award. It's not a terrible tactic by any stretch but there's definitely improvements to be made, I would loath to play it against stronger opposition than Swansea!

I'm in my second season using the tactic. The first season I was literally one game from being sacked when I finally caved and decided to use posted tactics. With this tactic I ended up fourth in the standings and lost in the playoff finals. My second season I am 16-6-5 and first place with a +34 GD. Two of those losses were NOT with this tactic but another tactic I wanted to try out. Three of the losses were with this tactic. One of those three, to a Premier level club in the FA Cup third round so probably a team I shouldn't have beaten anyway.

As noted throughout the thread there can be some defensive lapses, and for whatever reason it seems to occur mainly against teams that you would expect to rout.

That said, here's a rundown on my scores:

1-3, 2-3, 2-0, 2-0, 1-1, 3-2, 4-1, 5-2, 5-1, 1-0, 1-2, 4-1, 0-1. (My score is noted first FYI).

- These are just my league games, not including cups. The second game, the 2-3 loss, is the one loss in this group that I used another tactic. Every other game used this tactic or (as noted in another post in here) with a slight tweak for games where I'm the underdog or even favorites. It allows for an extra defensive type player but from the same tactic shape.

Hello all. Just wanted to chime in and thank Steaton for his great tactic (I used V2). I applied the tactic after getting the Arsenal job after previously being at Leicester and Crewe before that (working my way up the food chain of coaching jobs I guess...). They had a ton of attacking midfielders on their existing roster so I gave this a try and had great results. Won the double, had the league secured with three matches to go. Very happy.

As others have mentioned, our home form was incredible (I think I only lost one match at home for the season) but away we had some issues, dropping a couple of matches to lesser teams. Mid-season I changed the defense instruction as Dave Adkins suggested above and I thought there was a marked improvement in our away form, particularly in tough matches (defeated Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City away).

For anyone curious, did not use OI at all, even had the ass man do quite a few of the team talks. Pre-season training was all tactics until fully fluid then almost exclusively team cohesion from then on. Match prep was based on scouting report. Left individual training to assistant.

Again many thanks!

Can we get a player guide for each position? Struggling to decide on what players to go for.

Epic tactic in my first 12 games, Hull City with the transfer update (summer), currently 6th in the table..only lose against the 'big five' which is understandable due to the poor quality and balance within my squad.

Great work...really enjoying my love for the game again :)

I've got Thomas Ince and Robert Snograss on the wings, seem to be doing OK, not exactly anything spectacular..signed Eto on the free who is killing it! Goal a game pretty much.

Only frustration is like 25 shots...only perhaps 6 or 7 on target..regularly!

Cheers

So just finished my second season (and first full season) using the tactic at Leeds. Went 27-9-10; 90 points in 46 matches. +57 GD and won by 8 points over Sunderland. Promoted to Sky Bet Championship for the upcoming season.

A pretty big jump in leagues from #32 in the world to #12. I've signed three players in the offseason to beef up each level of my team. Waiting for the board expectations, hope they are manageable. I've already set the team to beat relegation. So looking forward to the next year with this tactic. If it can win with obvious lesser talent at a higher level...I'll be amazed. I'm honestly not expecting miracles as I'm used to games requiring you have the actual talent to compete. So we'll see. But so far so good in my first 1 3/4 seasons with Steaton's v2.

Guys, try training attacking movement before every match not matter how strong the opposition team is. I was struggling while using defensive positioning but since I started using attacking movement the team gone insane! I win every match 3-0,4-0. I even beaten my fierce rival 10-0. The results are amazing. Attacking movement is the key.

2014_08_03_00001.jpg

resim upload

Check FMbase, look for goalalot, and there is a merge between this tactic and goalalot called TheCoon, wich is more solid defecively, and delivers the goals aswell.

Staton's tactic won me everything and even won the CL with Rosenborg with jsut a avrage squad the 3rd season.

hepp hepp hepp

EDIT: loking forward to you're next release acording to match engine ;) NEw stuff must happend : sigames quote

Has anyone else noticed a vulnerability when playing against a basic 4-4-2 - especially against weaker teams?

I'm on top of the premier league with Hull since taking on the Total Annihilation formation, however I struggle against bottom rung teams who use a 4-4-2 .

Another area of concern is being able to hold on to a lead.

Of late I taken on to subbing for attackers late in the game under the theory the a good defense is a strong offense.

This tactic has seemingly worker better than tweaking mentalities or changing to a defensive mode or changing formations.

Any ideas?

Archived