Can't score penalties

I've had a problem this season regarding penalties. I've been awarded 9 penalties and have contrived to only score 3 of them. I'll give a brief rundown of how the penalties worked out:

1. Messi scored the 5th goal in a rout

2. Messi missed what would have been an 83rd minute winner to keep the game tied (it would've been his hattrick too)

3. Messi missed again against the same team, I think around a 50-60th minute penalty, and there were no more goals and the game finished as a tie.

4 & 5. Relieved Messi of penalty duties for one game in case that helped him improve. Fabregas and Xavi both missed penalties and the game finished 1-1.

6. Messi scored the 3rd goal to finish his hattrick.

7. Messi scored the tying goal, but in the second leg of a tie that was already over after a huge win for us in the first leg.

8. Messi missed an 84th minute equaliser against Real Madrid.

What should I do? This situation is costing me valuable points (only got first in the Champions League group by 1 point, and lost the valuable El Classico). :(

Don't let Messi take them?

EDIT: Sorry, missed that you'd relieved him of duties mid-way through the slump. Missing one penalty isn't out of the ordinary, so I'd have stuck with either Xavi or Fabregas for longer. Other than that, there's not much you can do I don't think. Just make sure that the player taking the penalties is in as good a shape as possible physically and mentally.

Messi currently has 18 penalty taking, 20 composure, and 19 finishing, which should mean that he should score much more than 3/6 penalties. Messi is also having a tremendous season with 37 goals in 24 appearances and his morale is nearly always superb, so that shouldn't be an issue either. Funny thing is his penalties have been very consistent in the other seasons where otherwise he's been poor (around 20 goals per league season).

cw3498. You are assuming that penalty taking is the determining factor in how good the penalty is. You are doing this because seemingly this has always been the case, I don't think that it's an unreasonable assumption to make. (After all, isn't one of the famously insightful hints something along the lines of "A player with a high penalty taking attribute will be good at taking penalties".

The problem is that it is now an incorrect assumption with the way that it is very very very very hard to miss the target. (I have hit the woodwork but never missed the target completely for example).

If you look at this thread.....

You will see that this season I was awarded 5 penalties. All 5 were taken by 2 different GK's who both have a penalty taking attribute of 3 and 2.

The GK with the pen rating of 2 (Protti), has converted 1 of 1 penalty with a conversion rating of 100%.

The GK with the pen rating of 3 (Lucio), has converted 4 of 4 penalties with a conversion rating of 100%

I have seen others mention that there is an issue where a player on a hat-trick who isn't the usual pen taker is given the chance from the spot to secure his hat-trick, (and often doesn't score), but when the player is your normal pen taker anyway, (and Messi to boot), then that doesn't seem to make sense.

I was thinking that composure might be outrageoulsy over-weighted but now I'm less sure. Instead I think it is far less about the penalty taker and far more about the GK. If the GK is going to save it, then quite simply I think he saves it no matter who is taking the pen and where the ball goes. Messi is a perfect example of a player who should not have an issue converting pens, and my GK's are a perfect example of the type of players who should struggle. Instead, my GK's have a conversion rate of 100% and Messi has a conversion rate of 33.33%.

It's not right, but other than not missing the target enough, (that's not the only issue), I don't know exactly what the problem is and SI are being very tight-lipped about it. There was initially a suggestion that it is specifically related to shoot-outs, but this deffo isn't the case, (although that might be an additional issue).

Did any of your pens miss the target? Fabregas and Xavi are just as strange.

Let your GK take them, (just for the craic), and see what happens.

Archived