Ecuador at the World Cup 2014

Uquillas

Ecuador will be playing at their 3rd WC.

2002: Exit Group Stage

Italy 2 - Ecuador 0

México 2 - Ecuador 1

Croacia 0 - Ecuador 1

2006: Exit R16

Poland 0 - Ecuador 2

Costa Rica 0 - Ecuador 3

Germany 3 - Ecuador 0

England 1 - Ecuador 0

How they Qualified:

By winning 7 of their 8 home games and tying the remaining game against Argentina.

When playing in high altitude Quito, Ecuador becomes almost invincible.

However their performance away from Quito was subpar, tying 3 games and losing 5.

They finished 4th in the overall standings and got the last direct ticket in S.A., Uruguay was relegated to a playoff.

At Brazil 2014:

They are currently in Group E with France, Switzerland and Honduras.

They have a very good chance of making it to the R16, it all comes down to the first game against Switzerland imho.

However should they finish 2nd they will probably face Argentina in the R16 and that will be that, if they can someone finish first, they will probably have a good chance to make it to the Quarter finals.

Style

Ecuador plays 4-4-2, with 2 wingers (A. Valencia and Jefferson Montero) who on their best days can devastating damage down the flanks, who feed their 2 strikers (F. Caicedo and Enner Valencia).

Players to Watch:

Antonio Valencia: Will be playing his second world cup, and has not had a good season and ManUnited, but will probably return to form with a playing style that adapts better to his strengths.

Jefferson Montero: Ecuador's "other winger". Some say potentially even better than Valencia, as he is quite capable with both feet and is more of a natural scorer and younger.

Enner Valencia: Ecuador's newest striking hope. Since the Death of C.Benitez in 2013 (Ecuador's main striker), he will be looked upon as Ecuador's best goal scoring option. He just finished a fantastic season in Mexico and the league's top goal scorer.

Felipe Caicedo: E. Valencia Striking Partner and a solid, physically gifted player all around, we will see if his move to weaker UAE league from the Russian league in order to see more playing time has affected his game.

Strengths:

+Midfield: Ecuador biggest strength is their midfield with 2 devastating wingers (Valencia & Montero), a solid defensive midfielder (Castillo) and Christian Noboa who dictates tempo.

+Attack: Big hopes for striker Enner Valencia who is rumored to move to Porto after the WC.

Weaknesses:

-Goalkeeping: Their 2 main goalkeepers (Dominguez and Banguera) are average at best.

-Defense: The defense lost central defender J. Campos to injury and his partner F. Erazo is a sub at Flamengo. They can be very shaky and lose concentration easily. They are also a gamble on cross balls.

Probable Lineup:

-Dominguez (LDUQ - Ecuador)

-JC. Paredes (Barcelona - Ecuador)

-Guagua (Emelec - Ecuador)

-Erazo (Flamengo - Brazil)

-W.Ayovi (Pachuca - Mexico)

-A.Valencia (Manchester United - England)

-Castillo (Al Hilal - Saudi Arabia)

-Noboa (Dynamo Moscow - Russia)

-Montero (Moralia - Mexico)

-Caicedo (Al-Jazira - UAE)

-E.Valencia (Pachuca - Mexico)

I don't believe that Ecuador qualifies for the next round, but they have some good names like Valencia, Castillo, Noboa, Caicedo and Énner Valencia.

Another thing that must be said is that i can't understand manager's option to field Frickson Erazo in the Starting 11, he's a very poor defender. In the Rio de Janeiro State Championship Final, for example, he entered in the second half and conceded a penalty after 10 minutes in the pitch; and i say that ignoring other fails commited by him.

I don't believe that Ecuador qualifies for the next round, but they have some good names like Valencia, Castillo, Noboa, Caicedo and Énner Valencia.

Another thing that must be said is that i can't understand manager's option to field Frickson Erazo in the Starting 11, he's a very poor defender. In the Rio de Janeiro State Championship Final, for example, he entered in the second half and conceded a penalty after 10 minutes in the pitch; and i say that ignoring other fails commited by him.

The other defenders are even worse.

Actually, I don't think Erazo is that bad a defender, he just hasn't been able to adapt to Brazil league.

He has usually done OK for the national team.

Dirty, needlessly putting Ox's WC chances at risk

I'd like to say that I'm not sure you are trolling, but tbh I think you probably are this thick :D

What are you guys opinion on Ecuador after this game? strenght, weakneses, chances?

I can't see you getting out the group. Need something off the Swiss.

Weren't great when crosses were coming in or with people running at the defence. Other defences may not be as friendly as ours in the tournament :D

What are you guys opinion on Ecuador after this game? strenght, weakneses, chances?

Potentially dangerous on the counter and could exploit sides with a slow defence. Keeper looks shaky and defence not very solid, could come down to GD for 2nd with Swiss.

At Brazil 2014:

They are currently in Group E with France, Switzerland and Honduras.

They have a very good chance of making it to the R16, it all comes down to the first game against Switzerland imho.

However should they finish 2nd they will probably face Argentina in the R16 and that will be that, if they can someone finish first, they will probably have a good chance to make it to the Quarter Finals.

You mean they're not certain to knock each and every European team into a cocked hat? You've changed your tune a bit since this peach of a thread 4 years ago.

I'd like to say that I'm not sure you are trolling, but tbh I think you probably are this thick :D

No, I was being serious. The guy was pissed off that Ox caught him and you can tell he purposely fell into him.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived