Arturo Vidal style

Hello fellow FM players. I've recently found a regen midfielder with very complete attributes: good tackler, excellent marker, good passer, strong but short, fast, hard-working, ... To me, he has got what it takes to be the most complete midfielder in my team.

IRL, the best complete midfielder in the world is Arturo Vidal. What are according to you the best PPMs matching to Vidal playing style that I can teach to my regen? I was thinking about Try long range passes, dictates tempo and dives into tackle.

If he is a very intelligent player (high creativity, decision making, etc) you don't want to limit him with one-dimensional PPM. For example, it's best to not give him passing PPM, and leave his passing instruction at "neutral" so he can decide what's best for each given situation, and dictate the game as he sees fit.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

I dont think it will be good to add "dives in tackles" with his high aggression. Could led to lot of RC. Also I want him to dictates the play and touches a lot of balls but also to keep getting into good scoring position and breaking forward in right moment ala Vidal.

"Come deep to get ball" and "dictates tempo": so he cans be at the centre of all part of the game as he is my primary playmaker. Also "mark opponents tightly" so he is close the ball once we win the ball and he can control our transitional game.

I got him tutored by Lampard so he can get "Arrives late in opposition area" but if he fails to get it, what do you advice?

Why would Vidal-like player dictate tempo? His role is to exploit the space in attack and defend perfectly, so, I'd rather focus on defensive PPMs, like Dives into Tackles and Tight marking, while training him for BBM in order to develop both defensive and attacking atributes equally.

If you look closely to the Vidal game, you will see that he touches a lot the ball, I'd say between 50-60 times per games and he his essential to link the play between maestro Pirlo and forward-thinking Pogba or Marchisio. Tight marking allow him to be close to the ball when the possession is won, so as come deep to get the ball. And dictates tempo allow him to be in the rythm of the game, IRL mainly as a secondary playmaker after Pirlo.

In my team, my regen will be the main playmaker in a 4-4-2 midfield duo. He will be a playmaking B2B with a forward thinking CM-A, so it's a bit different to Vidal IRL but it's basically the same kind of player.

Yet to try, but I have great workrate and stamina in my midfield, I'm using WM so they get back to help the defense and my fullbacks hold their position, so flanks are never exposed and my stopper CB will theorically step up to press and allow my midfielder to get into position. I should be ok against a team playing with one striker.

When it's a PPM, he does it automatically and he doesn't need to think about doing it. This the same for lots of PPM: cuts inside, hugs touchline, shoot from distance, etc. they can be instructed trough PI bit setting this as PPM allow to player to do it without instruction.

If he is a excellent marker with very good anticipation, concentration, positioning et all then I better should let him have the PPM and then adapt my match tactics. I think PI are less effective than PPM tough less restrictive I admit, but in my case, mark opponents tightly is a part of his playing style

If he is a excellent marker with very good anticipation, concentration, positioning et all then I better should let him have the PPM and then adapt my match tactics. I think PI are less effective than PPM tough less restrictive I admit, but in my case, mark opponents tightly is a part of his playing style

If he has great anticipation, concentration and positioning then he doesn't need to be marking tightly throughout the game. He can read play and perform his defensive duties without that restriction, picking up men as required. Marking players tightly will also limit his own space to involve himself in your team's play, as he won't move far from his man.

I would have thought Tight Marking is more for players without the mental skills to identify dangers properly, can't effectively contribute to attacking play, or might otherwise get distracted (or as a tactical decision to shut down particular opposition players). Useful for centre-backs or anchoring players, maybe, but not box-to-box operators.

Maybe, I've never seen it like it. I always tought some players had this PPM to get more involve in the game, closer to the ball once the possession change and thus can immediately be involve in the game. Then, what's the point of the PPM if an individual player instruction exist?

Archived