Relegation; good or bad?

I just thought I would start a discussion about the realities of relegation.

Does anyone else think it can actually be a really good thing? I've been relegated from the Premier League with Brighton both on FM 13 and FM 14, and both times I've been really positive about it. It's allowed me to introduce some really good youngsters who needed first team experience.

Obviously there's the bad things of actually being relegated, losing massive income and also losing some of your best players.

It might just be me liking the chance to rebuild a unsuccessful squad, but what do you guys think?

In my long term saved with Cambridge i was relegated from the Championship and the Premier League. The first relegation made me start to use some of the funds i had built up and build a spine of a side that stayed with me for 8 to 10 years. We on League One at the first attempt with record points and goals. Three previous years we were poor in the Championship but with this new look side we finished 4th, losing the Play Off Final and then the next season we won the Play off's after finishing 3rd. That relegation was just what we needed.

Four years later we were relegated from the PL and this was all down to me. Rather than stick with my hard working, result getting tactic i decided to change it, tika-taka and all that. Spending money just because it was there. The great attitude and work rate my squad had was swapped for a load of wannabes who didn't have any affection towards the club. Going down gave me that bump i needed to remember where i had taken the club from so i went back to what i knew. We went back up in the 2nd season as Champions after missing out on a play off place on the last day of the first season.

From then we didn't look back. 15 years in the Premier League with 11th being the lowest finish, We also added two Premier League titles, two FA Cups, three Champions League and one Europa League.

I dread to think hat would have happened financially if we didn't go up that second season. It would have been dark times for Cambridge.

For me both those relegations worked for me. I still rate that League One winning season as the best single season i have ever had. Better than the PL, FAC and EL treble winning season or the PL and CL season i retired after.

Archived