Targeting Opposition Players

I'm playing FMC and loving it! I don't have the time I used to to dedicate to FM, and FMC cuts out a lot of things I spent time on, so I'm happy about that.

My current save is as manager of Fortaleza, a team in the Third Division in Brazil. I'm running a 4222 with two DMs and two AMs, to fit the players I have, with a counter mentality and a rigid philosophy. After watching the match engine for a few games, I'm satisfied with our defensive positioning and the passing and movement of our attackers. We don't score a lot, but I'm more concerned with defense anyway, and that is my main problem here.

Although we get in the right positions, there usually tend to be one or two opposition players that just dominate. An opposing player will be faster than my defenders, but if I drop deeper, he drills us from long distance and we lose 4-1. Or their wingers will make runs and place pinpoint crosses to their forward who is better in the air, but if I pull my fullbacks back to compensate for that, the same wingers just place their crosses from deep. Result: a 3-0 loss. And I notice that we consistently hold opponents to 4 or 5 shots per game, but they make them count.

The fundamental problem is that perhaps I need better players, but the transfer budget is tight. In lieu of that, it would be nice to just put some opposition instructions on those guys - close down the wingers, or force that talented forward onto his weaker foot. But you can't do that in FMC. I know you can have individual players man-mark an opposing player, but other than that how do you target certain opposing players with the lack of OIs?

As far as I know you can only do it with individual man marking - but this has potential to pull your players out of shape if opponent has a lot of freedom/fluidity.

In short, your right, you need better players, but if moneys tight 'different' style players could work. I'd never go for CDs less than 185cm, purely to counter ariel threats (and the added bonus of set pieces at both ends). But by the sounds of it, your main problem is you FB/WBs, I'd hazard a guess that they are attacking heavy in their attributes, if your conceding a lot from crosses, then i'd get FB/WBs with better marking. Failing that, you'd have to go for 2 down the wings. andthebrands 'back to basics' and 'the man utd way' are good 442 formations (and FMC/Vita friendly).

scwiffy, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have the FBs on attacking duties to provide some width, but I keep getting hit with aerial attacks, so 2 down the wings might be better. Might have to find some free transfer MLs and MRs (transfer budget is almost non-existent, but I still have room under the wage budget), even if they are no good. And I didn't even think of how tall my CDs might be. I'll check that later when I get home.

Archived