Arsenal save - Need help perfecting tactics

Hello all,

Just come back to playing FM again after taking a break of over a few months. I had just started to learn tactics again, but it seems I have forgotten everything! Had a read through some of the stickies and the How to Play FM (12 steps) thing, and this is what I've come up with. I think it looks okay, but there could be some glaring errors I've missed or I may not be using the tactics/players to their full potential. If you can, I'd like an explanation as to why whatever I've done may be wrong, as that way I'll learn why and then not do it again.

These are my two formations, based upon what we have used in the last season. I'm on an unofficial update, so I have no Sagna or Fabianski. I'll post my transfers a bit further down.

(I have only played one game, a 2-0 loss to City in the Community shield)

534b672a3591e3de820dd488f8ca6857.png0df7585126728a1702156cb27b7d50db.png

Then my transfers:

b73258ea7314374f05595a06469cb8d5.png

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Both look absolutely fine in terms of the mix of Roles and Duties. You have things well balanced.

Why do you select the Attacking Mentality out of interest?

I had meant to change that to control, actually. I had it as attacking because I was trying it out during preseason as the board want me to play attacking football. This could be achieved with Control, right?

I had meant to change that to control, actually. I had it as attacking because I was trying it out during preseason as the board want me to play attacking football. This could be achieved with Control, right?

Absolutely. Cleon has proved elsewhere that you can play "attacking" football with the Defensive Mentality.

The Mentalities can lead you to assume certain things aren't possible with some Mentalities, when really you can, in a roundabout way, achieve any approach with any Mentlaity.

Control differs to Attacking in the sense that your tempo, defensive line and width will be a bit less than on Attacking.

Absolutely. Cleon has proved elsewhere that you can play "attacking" football with the Defensive Mentality.

The Mentalities can lead you to assume certain things aren't possible with some Mentalities, when really you can, in a roundabout way, achieve any approach with any Mentlaity.

Control differs to Attacking in the sense that your tempo, defensive line and width will be a bit less than on Attacking.

Thank you for the help, control seems much more suitable.

The board expectation just requires you to score a lot of goals. You can meet their demands using any formation or mentality.

Watch put for the AP(s) in CM slot - in that system a more defensive role is normally essential.

I've got a CM(D) next to them, and that seems to be going...okay. Could possibly switch it up but that's the role that fits my players

A quick update

After a rocky start, including losses to Palace and Southampton, the team seem to have settled nicely in to the tactics

Seven wins in a row since then, 18 goals scored (5 against Chelsea!), 2 goals conceded

how are your strikers doing? seems like they would not be too involved in either system

Eto'o has been injured, played 2 games no goals. Same situation for Sanogo.

Giroud is the only pure striker, 9 goals and 4 assists in 11(2) games

Walcott has played striker and AMR, he has 5 goals and 4 assists in 9(2) games

Then my other players, Cazorla has 5 goals and 1 assist in 12 games, Ozil has 4 and 6 in 9(3), Chamberlain has 3 and 1 in 6 games and Podolski has 3 and 3 in 3(4) games

So overall I'm happy with the spread of goals, mostly coming from my striker(s) but not totally dependent on them.

At multiple points throughout the season my defence has just collapsed, causing us to lose either by big margins or against teams that shouldn't even have a chance. What do people suggest? Should I drop one CM back to DM?

Well, swap the AMC for a DM would allmost certainly help with defensive issues. Anchorman in the DM position is very helpful. In return you could give your 2 central mids license to operate more freely; AP(s) and a CM(a) partnership is effective. And of course, your CWB is allways a defensive liability. You also play a slow(ish) passing tempo, resulting in your (mostly) lightweight midfielders and forwards prone to be tackled out of the game. Move the ball faster so that it's gone before the opposition can get at it. Arsenal have players that are very well suited to playing the ball around with high tempo and still keeping accuracy; you should use that advantage.

Well, swap the AMC for a DM would allmost certainly help with defensive issues. Anchorman in the DM position is very helpful. And of course, your CWB is allways a defensive liability. You also play a slow(ish) passing tempo, resulting in your (mostly) lightweight midfielders and forwards prone to be tackled out of the game. Move the ball faster so that it's gone before the opposition can get at it. Arsenal have players that are very well suited to playing the ball around with high tempo and still keeping accuracy; you should use that advantage.

So keep the passing instructions as they are, but change the tempo? Will give that a try.

Tempted to swap the AMC for a DM but then what do I do with Ozil? I could use him as a CM but that seems like it would limit him somewhat. AML I have Cazorla and am lining up a move for Vitinho, and I have Walcott and Chamberlain at AMR.

In such a 41221 formation, Ôzil can play in central mid as a AP(s) or at either wing as a IF. Same with Cazorla. In fact, Cazorla has done a better job for me as a AP in midfield than as a wide man.

I would ditch the "retain posession" instruction, other than for when you just want to see the game out; that instruction is too passive in nature for a team like Arsenal that should be on the attack. Then I would add "higher tempo".

I am not taking these ideas out of thin air; I am currently playing a 41221 (433, 451, whatever) formation with Arsenal having great success with this setup:

GK

FB/auto-CD/d-CD/d-FB/auto

Anchor/d

CM/a-AP(s)

IF(a)-IF(a)

CF/s or TM/s. The only player specific instructions I have is that I have both IF's sit narrower.

Balanced, attacking or control as needed

Work ball into box, play shorter, hassle opponents, roaming, higher tempo, push higher up, swap wide players. I usually start with attacking and hassle, then go to control when I'm a goal up, and then remove hassle when I'm 2 or more goals up. Winning the league comfortably in my first season (which is actually the 2014/15 season as I took the Arsenal job in june 2014)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also play "push higher up". Sorry.

Thank you for the advice, I Will definitely take it all in to consideration! I will definitely drop the AMC back to DMC, need to decide what CM role would fit Jack/Aaron the best then(To partner Ozil). Cazorla got an impressive 17 goals and 12 assists from AML last season, so he will stay there. I still want to bring in Vitinho for the future, one of the best IF(s) I have ever used.

I also can't decide whether or not to drop one of my CMs in the 442 back to CDM or to drop the AML/AMR to ML/MR

I observed how Wenger (the FM Wenger!) did go about it in the 2013/14 season; I watched all the Arsenal home games. His most used formation was in fact a 41221, but sometimes used a 4231 (Wide), and when he really needed to attack, a straight 442.

The 4231 was used only when Arsenal was very strong favourites, and curiously; only when the opponent fielded a similar 4231 setup ...

In such a 41221 formation, Ôzil can play in central mid as a AP(s) or at either wing as a IF. Same with Cazorla. In fact, Cazorla has done a better job for me as a AP in midfield than as a wide man.

I would ditch the "retain posession" instruction, other than for when you just want to see the game out; that instruction is too passive in nature for a team like Arsenal that should be on the attack. Then I would add "higher tempo".

I am not taking these ideas out of thin air; I am currently playing a 41221 (433, 451, whatever) formation with Arsenal having great success with this setup:

GK

FB/auto-CD/d-CD/d-FB/auto

Anchor/d

CM/a-AP(s)

IF(a)-IF(a)

CF/s or TM/s. The only player specific instructions I have is that I have both IF's sit narrower.

Balanced, attacking or control as needed

Work ball into box, play shorter, hassle opponents, roaming, higher tempo, swap wide players. I usually start with attacking and hassle, then go to control when I'm a goal up, and then remove hassle when I'm 2 or more goals up. Winning the league comfortably in my first season (which is actually the 2014/15 season as I took the Arsenal job in june 2014)

Are you playing Ozil has a Inside Forward Attack on the right side

I have both my IF's on attack duty, and they swap sides constantly. There are several players in the team that can play as wide men; as long as they're at least "competent" on either side I will use Cazorla, Ôzil, Wilshere, Walcott, Chambo, Campbell, and De Bruyne who I bought from Chelsea. Similarly there are several Arsenal players that can do a very good job in central midfield as either AP, CM attack or BBM. I have for example used Chambo as a CM many times with really good returns ... the Arsenal team is blessed with many versatile players that can be used in several roles and positions. Playing a 41221 you'll probably need to bring in a dedicated DM player to support Flamini or Arteta (or Coquelin); I brought in Gonalons who does a superb job as an Anchor, and is now 1.st choice in that position.

I have Sven Bender to play at Anchor

Our defensive woes seem to continue through preseason but I'll put that down to getting used to new players/tactics

How should I set up to defend set pieces? We concede a lot through them

Defensively I just use the default set-piece instructions; they seem to work ok to me - just remember to have Giroud or any other tall striker you have to go back, and have one of your wide men stay forwrd instead. Giroud in particular is my main "clearer of the ball" when defending corners. Attacking I'm a bit more particular with corner setups; you'll notice that many teams (most) will now use a sort of zonal marking - they line up with (typically) 4 players set to "mark 6-yard" ... the key then is to put a number of your own players behind that 4 man block. By that I mean closer to the goal. I have 1 player on the near post, 1 on the far post, and 1 challenging the keeper. I also have 1 player set to lurk. The others are default; CD's attacking far and near post respectively, full backs staying back if needed, the rest told to go forward. Corner takers not given any specific instructions, but I tend to have right-footed players take the left-hand corners and vice versa. You may find that giving the corner takers more specific instructions be even better; I don't know. I'm not that bothered with it, really - I prefer to have my goals come from brilliant play ;)

And by the way; preseason and the start of the season was troublesome to me too, but it picked up as soon as players were familiar with the tactics and each other. You'll need to train 3 tactical setups, incorporating as many variables as you can (of those you are likely to use, I mean). So; a 41221, a 4231, a 424 (or 442), with and without "hassle" if you're going to use that, both attacking and control mentalities, both fluid and rigid, and so on. Try to put as many of these variables into the 3 tactical setups trained as you can, to be as familiar as possible with whatever instruction you are likely to use the most.

Archived