Goal Types For & Against

I've just got promoted with Portsmouth in my third season to the Premiership. Brilliant first half of the season in the championship, W 19 D 3 L 1. Second half the usual rubbish but held on. What caught my eye was the terrible goals I conceded so I thought I'd run through them all and mark them down.

Goals For: 76

Through good flowing play - 46

Crosses from nothing - 14

Corners including scrambles rebounds etc - 10

Own goals - 3

Long shots - 3

Goals Against - 42

Corners including scrambles rebounds etc - 12

Crosses from nothing - 11

Own Goals - 11

Keeper / Defence **** ups - 6

Free kicks - 2 (Both in the last few seconds which cost me the win)

Yep, not one single goal from a free flowing move! I haven't checked friendlies or cup games.

Corners & Crosses about the same. Scary that I scored over 25% of their goals!

Yeap this was a reason I uninstalled the game as those were only types of goal that my team conceded. After a while I installed it again and went back to the old save and yes it is still like that except MU - they are able to score normall goals against us.

Being a Luton fan, I've watched a lot of dreadful Conference teams playing punt & chase over the last 5 years. However, I don't think I've seen to many goals from goal kick to one-on-one.

On my Gloucester FM save, my GK has a kicking rating of 5 and my opponent's is 4. However, it is currently 3-2 at half time, with all 5 goals resulting from goal kicks off the ground, going straight over the defence with no flick on or defensive attempt to the poachers for goals. I know this is not the same in every game, but I'm in November now and have scored 11 league goals from this situation already. This doesn't even happen in Sunday league football!

I'll stick to my previous statement prior to the January update for FM. This is the best ever version of FM as a whole game, but the ME does let it down so badly which is a real shame. I don't want to moan, so I just really hope that instead of another 800 minor features next year, they just keep a similar game and work tirelessly to improve the ME as much as possible.

P.S. Looking forward to seeing Fratton Park next season!

Things have got worse now I'm in the Premiership. I'm currently 13th 11 played 12 points. I knew it was going to be difficult as my players are not really good enough. However my tactics appear to be ok as I am creating chances and still scoring with free flowing moves, just missing many CCC's than before. The opposition are destroying me with corners & crosses but they are also scoring a few decent goals as well. I try to be patient with this game but even I'm getting annoyed with it. Last 2 games. 3-1 up against Man City. Ok I couldn't believe this myself but we were playing exceptionally well in this game. 5 minutes to go concede 3 goals all from crosses. Chelsea away 2-0 up with 3 minutes to go. Concede from a corner, own goal & penalty. Now my gripe is not losing as to tbh I expected to before I even clicked Play Game. Its the manner of losing.

So if you are conceding from crosses a lot what have you done with your tactics to try to prevent it?

Did you change anything when you were leading against Man City & Chelsea when they went more attacking? Did you go more defensive? play narrower? shut up shop at the back?

It also sounds like you are using overly attacking tactics which is a common problem for some users but we would need to see a screenshot of your setup to confirm that.

You're not really seeing the point. I didn't expect to win. I would have preferred it if I'd been beaten more realistically though. I've played many hours on this game and taken several teams from lower divisions to the Prem. I've tried many tactical changes during these saves and it usually makes no difference to the final outcome until you've built up a stronger team for this division with better players and promising youngsters coming through. 3/4 seasons in and I'm usually hammering all the other teams.

You're not really seeing the point. I didn't expect to win. I would have preferred it if I'd been beaten more realistically though. I've played many hours on this game and taken several teams from lower divisions to the Prem. I've tried many tactical changes during these saves and it usually makes no difference to the final outcome until you've built up a stronger team for this division with better players and promising youngsters coming through. 3/4 seasons in and I'm usually hammering all the other teams.

I assume the strikers missing so many CCC's is a knock on effect from the over-powered wingers in behind the full back ball which happens on any tactic frequently, as has been conceded. I just hope the ME gets the work it needs to catch up with the rest of the game.

In general terms what seems to be happening is:

You are using very attacking tactics which exploits the space left at the back by bigger clubs which allows you to score plenty of goals initially but as usual with these tactics the defence is poor and leaves lots of space which the AI teams can use when they commit more men forward.

If you want to be beaten "more realistically" then you need to use "more realistic" tactics that are seen IRL.

I'll also say again though its difficult to identify specific issues until we see the tactics that you are currently using - Sceenshot tactics screen.

I assume the strikers missing so many CCC's is a knock on effect from the over-powered wingers in behind the full back ball which happens on any tactic frequently, as has been conceded. I just hope the ME gets the work it needs to catch up with the rest of the game.

For a tactic that uses two wide men with one striker this is the main way the formation looks to score goals so its no surprise that the people that use it see goals created in this fashion, especially when 41221 seems to be one of the most common formations being used this year.

When facing this formation you should already therefore know where the danger lies, so what do you do to stop it? Its unrealistic to 100% be able to stop those chances being created but you can cut their chances down significantly with the right tactical choices.

Every formation has inherent strengths & weaknesses when facing other formations, part of your job as manager is to be able to identify those and use them to your advantage.

I've always missed plenty of CCC's and not just strikers. If I gave the impression of hundreds of them then I didn't mean that. I usually average about 5 per match and can score anything from all or none of them. I think my record was 17 without scoring in a Crewe save where I lost 1-0 in the last game of the season to the team at the bottom. Yep to an own goal! But anyway the point of my OP was simply to point out the types of goal I was conceding and how annoying it can be, especially as they often seem to get you in the last kick of the game! If I'm going to lose it would be nice to be simply outplayed and defeated by some decent opposition moves.

For a tactic that uses two wide men with one striker this is the main way the formation looks to score goals so its no surprise that the people that use it see goals created in this fashion, especially when 41221 seems to be one of the most common formations being used this year.

When facing this formation you should already therefore know where the danger lies, so what do you do to stop it? Its unrealistic to 100% be able to stop those chances being created but you can cut their chances down significantly with the right tactical choices.

Every formation has inherent strengths & weaknesses when facing other formations, part of your job as manager is to be able to identify those and use them to your advantage.

You don't understand, I'm not moaning about conceding. I'm complaining that my attacking chances often come from that play too.

I have 2 saves, in one I play an arsenal style formation with 2 central players as play makers in the wide role. I have them set as, 'sit narrower' and my team play as 'exploit the middle'. Despite this, most of my chances come from those 2 players staying wide and receiving passes in behind the full backs.

In the other I started in the Conference, I and most other teams play 4-4-2, yet this is still the way most chances are made. I've watched poor conference games as a Luton fan for the last 5 years and know that chances are created in different ways at both levels and neither of them are mainly the way in which it occurs on FM.

I enjoy playing the game and happily do so regularly. I don't care if I win or lose, I just want the game to look as realistic as possible which could be improved.

For example many corners hit the cross bar, no matter where in the box you aim them. Though I suppose that's 'my tactics'. There is no pirlo/gerrard role played out in the FM ME, with a holding player dropping in and gliding 30-40 yard passes out to full backs or wingers regularly during the game.

It's a good game but like any it has flaws, I don't understand why some people can't accept that and insist it is possible. Some things just can be improved.

I'm not going to get into the tactics thing. My tactics work fine. As mentioned my players are not good enough for the likes of Chelsea as yet. Remember I've only just reached the Prem after consecutive promotions from League 2. I've over achieved and I know the season will be tough because of it. No tactic or OI's will change that. I spend between 30 - 45 mins per game so I do keep an eye on happenings and adjust where required. I rotate 3 tactics and never use the same tactic twice against the same team in a season, unless of course you keep getting them in the cup. Even these 3 need tweaking during the course of a season especially in the final third against teams near the bottom.

There is no pirlo/gerrard role played out in the FM ME, with a holding player dropping in and gliding 30-40 yard passes out to full backs or wingers regularly during the game.

It's a good game but like any it has flaws, I don't understand why some people can't accept that and insist it is possible. Some things just can be improved.

I keep seeing this comment about the Pirlo role not existing and 30 yard passes not happening. It does. I have seen it using the DLP/S and Regista roles. Hell, RTHerringbone's central DEFENDER tried a 40 yard pass last night. It failed, just, but it happens.

I know the passes happen. But they don't happen frequently every match. Most of the ones in FM are trying to create something in behind or on the run, where as Pirlo/Huddlestone for example just knock 30 yard floaters out to the full backs numerous time in every single game!

I'm not going to get into the tactics thing. My tactics work fine. As mentioned my players are not good enough for the likes of Chelsea as yet. Remember I've only just reached the Prem after consecutive promotions from League 2. I've over achieved and I know the season will be tough because of it. No tactic or OI's will change that. I spend between 30 - 45 mins per game so I do keep an eye on happenings and adjust where required. I rotate 3 tactics and never use the same tactic twice against the same team in a season, unless of course you keep getting them in the cup. Even these 3 need tweaking during the course of a season especially in the final third against teams near the bottom.

But your tactics/formations are directly relevant to what you are experiencing.

Missing CCCs, consecutive promotions, overachieving, defensive collapses are all a sympton of the "Extreme" tactics you are using.

I can't really comment much on your OP and goals you score and concede because I haven't watched your games but I can say its not what I see in my games. I'm not surprised though that you've scored lots of free flowing goals given you are probably using direct attacking tactics against opponents who leave space at the back due to you being a smaller team.

I suspect there is also a little amount of bias in the way you've rated the goals in the OP which would only be natural.

I know the passes happen. But they don't happen frequently every match. Most of the ones in FM are trying to create something in behind or on the run, where as Pirlo/Huddlestone for example just knock 30 yard floaters out to the full backs numerous time in every single game!

The passes I see are played to feet to open players on the flank.

The passes I see are played to feet to open players on the flank. No runs or balls in behind.

Agreed. The goal types seem off to me, too. FM14 has realistic scorelines, but how those scores are generated needs improvement. Attacking from the centre of the pitch needs to be improved, and attacking from out wide needs to be suppressed. I have a winger with 12 for crossing and dribbling, and yet he is absolutely killing it against any opponent just because 10-20% of his crosses lead to point blank shots on net.

But your tactics/formations are directly relevant to what you are experiencing.

Missing CCCs, consecutive promotions, overachieving, defensive collapses are all a sympton of the "Extreme" tactics you are using.

I can't really comment much on your OP and goals you score and concede because I haven't watched your games but I can say its not what I see in my games. I'm not surprised though that you've scored lots of free flowing goals given you are probably using direct attacking tactics against opponents who leave space at the back due to you being a smaller team.

I suspect there is also a little amount of bias in the way you've rated the goals in the OP which would only be natural.

What's funny & something I mentioned in another thread to someone with similar responses to yourself, is to watch say 20-25 random AI v AI games. As that's the only way you can take your 'extreme' tactics and bias out of the equation. You'll be amazed at how similar a lot of it is I'm sure.

Agreed. The goal types seem off to me, too. FM14 has realistic scorelines, but how those scores are generated needs improvement. Attacking from the centre of the pitch needs to be improved, and attacking from out wide needs to be suppressed. I have a winger with 12 for crossing and dribbling, and yet he is absolutely killing it against any opponent just because 10-20% of his crosses lead to point blank shots on net.

Mine has a crossing rating of 6 and finishing of 3, he's the weak of my team based on attributes. Not to mention the fact he's naturally a centre midfielder. Despite this, he finished my season with 21 assists and 9 goals when my team is set 'exploit the middle', 'use shorter passing' & my wider players to 'sit narrower' in a 4-4-2. Intriguing to say the least. I love the game but this ME is not realistic.

Attacking from the centre of the pitch needs to be improved, and attacking from out wide needs to be suppressed.

I'm not seeing this. I play with 2 wide attacking midfielders, both set as wingers, with a third central midfielder, set as an AP. He's my #1 for assists. Right winger is top goalscorer. I hardly ever score from crosses. The key to getting central attacks to work is pulling a CD out of position, then getting a player to occupy that space, then getting the ball to them. Alternatively, the space vacated by the CD had to be used to play an angled pass behind the defence for a wide player to run on to. That's how my AP/W are working so many goals.

Okay, I decided to have a look on my own save to record the goals for and against.

14 Matches recorded (Low familiarity and new to club)

Goals For:

Good, general play: 10

Defensive mistake: 1

Indirect Free-kick: 1

Direct Free-kick: 2

Corner: 1

Cross, from good play: 3

Cross out of nothing: 1

Own goal from a corner: 1

Penalty: 2

Keeper mistake/parried shot for a rebound: 1

Intercept and counter: 3

Goals Against:

Intercept and counter: 1

Good, general play: 9

Unlucky own goal: 1

Cross, from good play: 4

Penalty: 1

Direct Free-kick: 1

Corner: 3

14 Matches recorded (80%+ familiarity and fine-tuned tactics)

Goals For:

Good, general play: 8

Defensive mistake: 1

Indirect Free-kick: 0

Direct Free-kick: 1

Corner: 6

Cross, from good play: 4

Cross out of nothing: 1

Own goal from a corner: 0

Penalty: 1

Keeper mistake/parried shot for a rebound: 2

Intercept and counter: 3