Who will win?

Lermon

Having seen all the teams- do you have a different idea who will win it now?

Personally, I think the top two South American sides Brazil+Argentina look unconvincing. And Brazil is going to be facing their South American rivals.

I think Netherlands and Germany have got to be the two best European sides in with a chance. But Germany have got a few weaknesses, more than most years-particuarly with their defence.

And I think outsiders- like Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia have got a chance. Costa Rica is 66/1- yet they beat two tough opposition, and drew with the other. (It's unlucky they're facing the other bus-in-front-of the goal side.)

And Colombia- look maybe the most convincing of the South American sides so far.

What do you think?

I think Argentina will win, their defense is not so good but none of the other teams have so good defenses either, so their great attack should make the difference.

Brazil should reach semis at least though.

My dream final: Germany-The Netherlands. The one that should have been in 2010 if it weren't for those dastardly Spanish. Realistically it'll be Brazil-Argentina though. But you never know...

My dream final: Germany-The Netherlands. The one that should have been in 2010 if it weren't for those dastardly Spanish.

The Netherlands to lose again?

They look like the América de Cali of the World Cup, can reach the final but always lose.

Obs: América de Cali reached four Libertadores final, three of them in a row and lost them all.

Haha, we have been unlucky in our finals I suppose. 1974 and 1978 lost against the host country, 'nough said. And everyone saw how the ref messed up our last attempt. Guess we'll get there some day.

Haha, we have been unlucky in our finals I suppose. 1974 and 1978 lost against the host country, 'nough said. And everyone saw how the ref messed up our last attempt.

Yeah, failing to send off your violent player really screwed you guys there.

Haha, we have been unlucky in our finals I suppose. 1974 and 1978 lost against the host country, 'nough said. And everyone saw how the ref messed up our last attempt. Guess we'll get there some day.

Yes, jokes aside, I think a Dutch title in the World Cup is long due, should happen sooner or later.

Yes, jokes aside, I think a Dutch title in the World Cup is long due, should happen sooner or later.

Not now and not anytime soon.

They may get to the quarter finals this year but that will be about that, actually a good performance, the semi's if all goes their way would be unbelievable, it seems all roads lead to Argentina and that will be a road to far.

I think if you asked most supporters over here they would be happy with that, not the bar owners of course but the actual supporters. :)

This tournament represents the best chance of a European side conquering South America imo.

As I said in the other thread - I see Colombia/Chile as the best bet of an 'outsider' winning it. France/Germany will both have a great chance, whichever one gets through to the semi-finals. Argentina and the Netherlands should meet in the semi-finals, too.

Final four should be Argentina v Netherlands and France/Germany v Brazil/Chile/Colombia.

The first half of the bracket is far more interesting than the latter half.

As for who is winning it - I predicted Argentina pre-tournament and I'm standing by that. But I think any of the teams I've highlighted above will stand a very good chance. Ordinarily I wouldn't give the Netherlands a hope but Robben is on fire and defences aren't doing well atm so... I want France, Chile or Colombia to do it, though. Wouldn't mind any of the remaining teams bar Uruguay/Netherlands/Brazil/Argentina.

e: In fact, forgot Greece were stilll in the draw. Add Greece in with the four I've mentioned in the final line above.

Not now and not anytime soon.

They may get to the quarter finals this year but that will be about that, actually a good performance, the semi's if all goes their way would be unbelievable, it seems all roads lead to Argentina and that will be a road to far.

I think if you asked most supporters over here they would be happy with that, not the bar owners of course but the actual supporters. :)

Holland will surely get the better of Mexico and then Costa Rica/Greece. They'll come up against Argentina (most likely) in the semi-finals and then it's a case of who can outscore who. Neither can defend :D

Holland going all the way isn't too unbelievable, not with Robben and RvP in there.

I honestly believe they will not get past Mexico in truth, Mexico have a lot of pace in attack and the Dutch will struggle with that.

Also if/when they face either of CR or Greece they will hate playing a team that plays so deep, if that match comes around I can see the Dutch players getting very frustrated.

I honestly believe they will not get past Mexico in truth, Mexico have a lot of pace in attack and the Dutch will struggle with that.

Also if/when they face either of CR or Greece they will hate playing a team that plays so deep, if that match comes around I can see the Dutch players getting very frustrated.

What, like Chile had? They kept their only clean sheet so far against the paciest team they've faced.

They could struggle v CRC/GRE but you've got to fancy that in a game of that magnitude, Robben et al will cope a bit better than the likes of Samaras with the pressure :D

Just looking at how teams have performed, I think Colombia have a great chance. They have the style closest to the one that took europe by storm this season, the bold counter attacking style, and they have got that style instilled to the side excellently. Someone above mentioned that this tournament represented the best chance that a European team conquers South America, on a similar vein I think this tournament represents the best chance that an outsider wins the world cup for the first time in yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaars and I'm backing Colombia to achieve that.

No single team has stood out from the rest yet, which means it's still wide open. But the best teams get stronger as the tournament goes on and I'm sticking with my pre-tournament prediction of Argentina to beat Brazil in the final.

I've not seen a better or more complete team than France yet.

They do look the most balanced team of the favourites, with a solid defence, an extremely impressive midfield and an attack that's linking well together. I am impressed too. But do they really have the talent to knock out potentially Germany in the quarters AND Brazil at home in the semis AND Holland/Argentina in the final?

What strikes me the most is that Griezmann and Valbuena on the wings, whilst very good players, aren't really world class level are they. Moreover there's no convincing replacements. They've stuck Benzema on a wing with Giroud upfront and it worked for the Switzerland match but they were given insane space for counter-attacking there. Sissoko on a wing, Remy on a wing? What happens if Griezmann or Valbuena are out for whatever reason?

I'm backing either Brazil or Germany to go win the whole thing. Yes they too have weaknesses, more obvious than France's, but they seem the 2 teams most well prepared to me. Brazil don't have a flowing attack but this is what Scolari's teams always are - have a fairly solid structure (which they will have now with Fernandinho) and then potentiate moments of individual brilliance from the 1 or 2 key players and set pieces. Germany lack full-backs but have a fabulously fluid front trio, one of the most convincing midfields, and crucially, are more than capable of playing either possession football (which they've succeeded at the most so far) and powerful counter-attacking football.

The Netherlands have also boasted an extremely impressive tactical versatility, with Van Gaal switching between a back 4 or back 3, high pressing or deep defending very well. But bar Robben and Van Persie they badly lack talent and it might show in the later stages. I could see them outsmarting Argentina in a potential semi-final, but can't quite imagine them beating this Germany side for example in a potential final. They could also get suddenly stuck vs a parked bus of Greece or Costa Rica in the quarters as that's a situation we haven't seen them face yet (Australia played very open for a minnow), as they've been having very low possession every game and excelling mostly on a counter-attacking game.

Argentina I wouldn't entirely rule them out, they're getting better, but tactically they've got some pretty amazing weaknesses, mostly lack of cover down the wings. Can they keep on relying on Messi to outscore the opponents vs increasingly tougher opposition? I'd love to see Messi confirming his all-time great status by leading them to a title but can't quite see it. I think they'll have quite a mighty struggle against Belgium already...

Colombia are the strongest outsiders and they've played brilliant football so far but I think they're gonna come back to earth pretty soon. Again, they don't have enough quality. Even Greece in their match vs Colombia had a period they were more than able to create chances. I'd enjoy watching them surprise but don't think they will.

• Administrators

What happens if Griezmann or Valbuena are out for whatever reason?

Aside from the options you mention, and Sissoko's done well there, they could use Digne and Debuchy in more advanced roles. Both have some experience doing that.

Valbuena's been one of the best performers of the world cup so far fwiw. Been France's best player. Fantastic player :thup:

e: On a slightly related note, I had a dream last night where France and Germany met each other in the quarter finals - Benzema missed two penalties then Klose broke Ronaldo's record with a last minute goal to win 1-0 :D

Argentina had the weakest group of all, their defense looked terrible, they don't have a midfield and on the front is just Messi scoring, but he won't keep scoring so easily against better teams.

Brazil, Netherlands and Germany look like a football team to win this WC. Most well balanced teams so far.

Brazil, Netherlands and Germany look like a football team to win this WC. Most well balanced teams so far.

Netherlands and Germany I understand - but Brazil? They've been suspect in defence and their attack has faltered frequently. It's a good job they came up against a rubbish GK in Pletikosa and a Cameroon defence...

France the most balanced of all but like most, I have reservations because of the easy nature of their group. I want France to win it so I hope the fellas tipping them are onto something, but I think France/Germany could be as far as they get. If they somehow beat Germany (massive task) then they'll probably make the final and could even win it. I think whoever of France/Germany makes the semi-final will make the final... unless they face Colombia/Chile, but I think it will be Brazil.

Archived