Is this a bug?

I have been playing with many teams, and I bet all of you have, but I started a Everton save the other day, and was starting scouting for players, and reports came in with the usual stars rating, I bought a players who was scouted a 4 star player, but when he came into the team he was 2 1/2 star rating..... I know the scouting can be off etc but then after a couple of weeks he was now a 2 star.

The same happened with other players in a negative way and positive, Distin for example when I started with Everton, was a 3 star player, I still played him alot, and he did well, but still dropt to 2 star player, then after a couple of games, now he is suddenly a 4 star player?

Kyle Naughton, did the other way around, played him alot and was a 3 or 4 star player when starting now he is a 2 star player?

Naismith, went from 3 1/2 star player, is now a 2 star player???

And I know older players dont develop or increase stats anymore, but this is annoying the hell out of me becuase it makes it so hard to find out who is good enough or not, who should I sell who should I not sell.

And another thing, does the star rating vary for the players depending on what league you are manager in?? I played as Celtic, and looked for players who came in with 4 stars etc, scouted the same players with Everton, and those very same players are max 2-3 stars rating..........

Stars are based on your squad. Sign a world class player for a team full of journeymen and the journeymens star ratings will reduce.

its based on squad? wow, all this time all these games, I NEVER knew that! Thanks alot :)

Yes this is correct. He might be a 4 star player in his current club but when he moves to you, that will indeed change. If your club is of a higher rep than the club he is coming from, then his stars rating will decrease.

Example: If you manage Barcelona and buy Ross Barkley, he might be a 4 star at Everton, but will drop a bit when he arrives at your Barcelona. And vise versa! If you are Everton boss and you buy a 4 star Barcelona player and he comes to Everton, most likely his star rating should improve.

That's why I always look at attributes and age and their mental characteristics, not just their scouted "star potential". I've had players with the club for a few years that started out as 4-star current ability, their attributes have actually improved, but the better signings in the intervening years have dropped their ability from 4 stars to 2 1/2 stars. I've sold 4-star players from my team and everyone's ability goes up a half-star.

I've sold 4-star players from my team and everyone's ability goes up a half-star.

Does anyone know a rough weighting of squad versus league for this? As in, at what point do their stars stop going up when the better players leave?

Why don't scouts compare to your squad in the scout reports? I'm not scouting a player to find out how good he is in comparison to his current team mates.

They do? The bottom right of the report page shows the player you are viewing in a list of players from your squad in the selected position.

Thanks for all the answers, I really didnt know this about star system and thought this was a "global" view of it. Distin was 2 or 3 star, but has been playing so incredibly well, 36 years old and now a full 4 star player, whilce Chrisitian, with better stats, is 2 star, was scared of using him if Baines was injured or tired cus of the star system and really do look at the stats much more now etc.

Archived