Surviving with 3 CDs in the Serie A

Decided to play with Livorno in the Serie A as a challenge.

This is the setup im us:

033303b34b2114f1239de0f4604146c6.png

The AF has the following instructions:

Hold Position, Pass It Shorter and Fewer Risky Passes

My plan was to sit deep absord the pressure, play on the counter if possible. Get my points from draws. But things arent going very well.

I know I have some poor players on my hand (for this level) but I want to make sure I have a solid tactic on my hand first.

Im taking any suggestions. Will provide other screenshots if needed.

Well, i think its hard to say without knowing why things are not going well? Defensively or offensively? What type of goals are you conceding?

At a complete guess, without knowing any info, i would guess that down the flanks you will struggle. CWB(a) from the DM strata is massively attacking, play more like advanced wingers. Its very physically demanding and requires good players. I would guess teams are taking advantage of the gaps behind.

Consider trying them in the LB and RB slots for a starter if that is the case.

Goal scored

508c352e453e25a112e3849829e4a172.png

League table: http://gyazo.com/7898d2f45e55f7d5cae90621fb0d0c77

Players stats for the league: http://gyazo.com/6f4fee3c07e63aeac632dad86766407c

The problem is that I conceade a lot of goals from nothing. I know this migth be down to the player quality but I cant do much about that.

And attacking wise. I do create CCCs now and then but not on a consistent basis.

Now im trying to use DWs.

1. If you want to play on the counter why not play with the counter strategy? You could remove the drop deeper and direct passing TI's when you do that although the drop deeper TI can still be useful with a counter strategy I've found.

2. You are giving very little support to your strikers. I would try to get another CM in the box, either playing with two BBM's (maybe tell one to get further forward) or by changing the DLP to a MC(a). You can play your playmaker in the DM position which suits this strategy very well in my experience (he doesn't have to be a brilliant passer to play the position, if he can play that perfect pass to split the defense that's great but usually his job is just to distribute to one of the hard working players (CM's and WB's) or to the deep lying forward.

3. You might want to put the wingbacks in the fullback position. This will keep the back three closer together in possession which could help with the goals out of nothing problem. This does bring a different problem where your defenders are often not wide enough to reach your attacking wingbacks but it's worth a try. For this reason I have both a flat 5-3-2 (with a DLP(d) as central MC to take the role of the regista) and a 3-3-2-2 like you have set up now.

I personally used the "play out of defense" TI and put the outer two DC's on stopper duty. Usually I played defensive sometimes switching to counter or attacking in the last minutes of a game. With this approach I got Palermo promoted in the first season winning the Serie B and now having a great start in the serie A beating AC Milan on the opening day, getting wins against rivals Inter and Napoli and finding myself in 4th place.

btw. I have never had problems with CWB's defensively even tho I play some defensively ****** players there. Sure they are not very solid defensively but there is an extra DC, a BBM and a regista there to cover so usually the opponents wingers get doubled up on. Not made any extremely high profile signings either (Divock Origi came in after I sold Kyle Lafferty after the first season but he is 3rd choice striker, I got Zuculini on a free who is a regular in the first team but not my best CM and I bought Strandberg at the start to allow me to play 5-3-2).

Archived