Best time to look for players.

Hi,

Playing with lower league team and finances are very small, so my main transfer market is in the free agents. I have a large database so alot of players show up in the search that are realistic targets. What I want to know is, when do you guys look for players? Do you guys search through the market every month or wait for clubs to release players at the end of the season and then you go in the market.

Reason I ask is doing it every month is quite painful but don't want to miss out on some random player who is willing to join and is potentially very good.

So when is the best time to dive into the market?

Thanks.

I'm also at a small club (Exeter City, Skrill Premier) and I think the answer is, well.... there is a best time, but there isn't.

The obvious time is the end of June as a lot of contracts expire then. But at the same time, that's a LOT of players to trawl through, potentially to no avail as none meet your requirements.

The thing is though, there's only about 2 months a year where you can't sign free agents or loanees, so you should keep an eye out. If you really want to get the best deals you should do regular sweeps just in case. It's actually very possible the dream signing appears 1 week before the deadline for free transfers. Bear in mind foreign countries will have different league timetables and therefore contracts may expire throughout the season.

I find that, if you have multiple scouts, it can help to set them more specific assignments. This way you get a smaller list but ALL the players on there meet the brief.

Basically, from what I can tell, there really isn't a best time. It's just a case of being alert to any new players who pop up. Patience is key

Archived