How to defend the wings better?

Walker and Rose are absolutely horrible defenders and you're playing a high line to go with it. If the opposition has players in the AMR/AML positions they will tear you apart on the regular.

Also, your fluidity (balanced) assigns mentality according to the players duty, so Walker, being on Attack duty - in conjunction with his WB role which has him running from deep regularly will often leave you with a back 3 at best.

Also, Danny Rose is horrendus. Stats like positioning/anticipation/decisions matter a lot (I find this especially true for fullbacks).

(Buy a real left back)

Also the game is a little broken imo and most people concede most of their goals from the flanks - also corner goals that you concede are probably factored into that stat which can make it look more inflated than it is.

(IRL a majority of all assists come from the flanks, although a vast majority of them come from wide but still inside the box. The second most assisted location on the pitch is right outside the penalty area. I wish FM could replicate this, but until then this game will continue to reproduce age old british redknapp/moeyesesque primitive stereotypes about needing to get crosses in to the box. A huge target man and wingers batting in crosses is by far the closest thing to an easy win button here).

I thought Rose and Walker have enough speed to play a high line. Walkers Attack duty didnt seem problematic as I didnt get countered on his side. You are probably right most of the time its some dubious marking from them that lead to a cross going in.

At the moment I want a tactical fix to at least try and stop the cross, until I can get better fullbacks.

With those 2 on your defensive flanks i would be tempted to play them both as wb(d)..with balanced fluidity in my experience they still get involved in attacks plus i am sure they have ppms that encourage them to get forward..just with defense duty they should be more aware of that side a little more. I may be completely wrong but thats how i set up with if i have a defensively suspect fullback and seems to work for me.

Archived