International ranking - Something really strange has happened

I noticed that in my save in 2036 Norway is in first place in international ratings. And never really thought about it. Then one day I was curious and looked at their team. It was avarage few 10-15M € players with 6.5-7.1 season ratings. Which was really strange so I decided to snoop around some more...

And I discovered that no only they haven't won anything in ages, their last WC appearance was in 1998, and they was in EC only three times in last 20 years - once eliminated in group stage, once in second round and once in semis.

So why are they best international team according to fifa? Corruption? :D

Few screenshots:

qW28dmd.png

NzzhhjF.png

ogTS5FQ.png

9PWdYG7.png

Cheers

If you go to Norway - View Nation - World Rankings, then as well as seeing the Rankings themselves, what you also see beside them is the FIFA points that they have accrued that make up the rankings.

I can see that you haven't shown that pic.

I am not sure over how many years the points are collated, (does anyone else know), but in my game Spain are again ranked #1 and currently have 1,847 points.

In 2033 they lost just 1 game, (a Confed group game against KSA), but then went on to win the Confed Cup Final. They also only drew 1 game that year, (another Confed group game against ARG).

In 2032 they lost 0 games but drew 1 friendly and 2 World Cup Qualifiers against DEN & IRE.

In 2031 they were again unbeaten and drew just 1 game, (a friendly with EGY).

They currently have 280 more points than 2nd ranked France, who actually have a better record but did not participate in the Confed Cup.

Show us their results over the last 3 years and also the rankings page.

What this shows is that Norway are not dominating, but they are just doing better on a consistent basis than everyone else.

I bet if you looked at the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina etc etc, you will see that they have probably all dropped points at various times. Norway aren't doing brilliantly. They are just more consistent than everyone else. Whoever won the last World Cup or EURO's, I bet they have had a shocker either before or after. There has to be a reason for the lack of points.

The 4th ranked team in my save, (Portugal), has more points than #1 ranked Norway in yours. Everything is relative.

[Edit]

As another comparison, if we look at real life rankings right now, Germany and Argentina both have higher points than your Norway.

[Edit2]

I have just checked and rankings are calculated over a 4 year period, (although until 2006 they were calculated over an 8 year period).

[Edit3]

Wiki gives you the formulae for how points are allocated if you want to check that it's not corrupt.

Also a lot of people overestimate the number of high quality championship contenders. The reaction is to imagine 10 or 15 or so, but really there's only Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and whoever is performing well in Europe at the time such as Netherlands, Italy, France. Once you get past 3 - 5 teams, the quality drops drastically.

See it a lot with fickle England 'fans' who voice their dismay every month at England being in the top 7 or 10 when they're 'crap', or a random team like USA being in the top 10. If you went through a guide of every international team and their recent form and group standings, then listed YOUR idea of the best teams from best to worst (not just teams you're familiar with, now that you've researched), it wouldn't be too far off. Though FIFA rankings can still be a bit mental.

Archived