Tactic with wingers

Hi all,

although I read the pairs & combinations sections, I am not a good coach when using wingers (combination cwb & if is perfect) - when I use fb (s) and w (a) , it is good for defensive play, but i do not create that many chances. if use the opposite duties, i am conceding too many goals. is there a chance i can be successfull with cwb and wingers in combination?

thanks a lot!

please see below my complete set up (players are fitting in their role):

TM

A

W AP W

A S A

BTB CM

S D

FB CD CD FB

S D D S

Instructions: Higher Tempo, be more expressive, roam from positions, play out of defence, work ball into box, hassle opponents

thanks again

A TM(A) on his own is going to be very isolated. Your flanks are a bit predictable too. Your TM will lose possession, even if he wins headers because he is isolated. Frankly 4-4-2 would seriously help you. Also switching 1 flank to a W(S) and the corresponding Full back to FB(A) would also help too. Creates more variety and overlapping.

CWB + Winger is going to result in a lot of flank overloads resulting in a lot of crosses. With this set-up, your opposite flank winger will attack the far post, but with the game's issues with central overlaps, I'd be concerned that the AP(S) might discourage runs from the B2B, leaving you short of players attacking the area ahead of a cross (you generally want three for a system focused heavily on crosses: near post, far post, centre). You might benefit from having the creator/distributor in central midfield while using a more attacking/physical AMC or just a second striker for your wingers to aim at.

How does the opposition tend to play against you? Are you one of the bigger sides in your division? Crosses tend to have a low probability of success against sides that sit deep and crowd their area. If so, you'll need a physically powerful attack that doesn't need a lot of space to shirk off defenders.

thanks for your detailed reply.

i am one of the bigger sides, i play with schalke in german bundesliga.

i will try to play the wing game with 2 strikers or a more "striker" amc, maybe this helps me!

If you use CWBs then you don't need wingers IMO. The CWBs provide enough going forward that they don't need anyone in front getting in the way, so your wingers can be utilised more in central areas. I play a 4-1-2-1-2 with CWBs and they are absolute beasts, contributing at least 10 goals and 30 assists per season.

Archived