Extremely unrealistic club choices for new managers

I am 16 years into a game, but it is my experience the problem have existed all the time.

Something is wrong with the way managers are recruited to clubs. I got a way better job after failing my first miserable in 2 seasons. A middle-placed team in Switzerland to one of the best in Austria, without any succes in Switzerland. And a wellearned sacking. I had not chosen any high start reputation or anything.

But it is not only me, I can see some of my competetors get managers who have proven absolutely nothing. My biggest opponent in Austria, Salzburg have just chosen a 44 year old dane, who have failed so miserable in 2 clubs in Denmark. He has now got by far the richest and best club in my country.

It ruins my sense of realism.

I really hope SIgames are looking into this. It should not be that hard to work out something better than the current calculation for potentiel managers

Have you ever watched Austrian football though? It is pretty poor! :p And I think the Swiss league is a better league than the Austrian league, therefore doing average at a middling club, may be equivalent to doing pretty well at a good club in Austria, hence the choice. Not sure about the other choice, but there's a lot more than just success/lack of success that goes into choosing a manager.

I certainly would have thought (without much knowledge on the subject) that the Swiss league has a higher rep than the Austrian one... especially considering recent times and a resurgence of the Swiss sides.

For real life examples of 'how the hell did he get that job?!' .. look no further than my beloved Leeds and our current manager/head coach... amazing.

It's something weird in this game. I found that I always have a good chance of landing a job at a better/bigger clubs aboard than home. For example, by the time I promoted to Premier League, I would be shower with offers from bigger clubs in Europe, but not much at all from England. Clubs like Milan, Inter, Marsaille wouldn't hesitate to offer me an interview, but the like of Swansea and West Brom (lower Prem/upper Champ teams) would laughed off my interests

It is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, trust me. In previous versions you could get jobs that you should in no way be able to get on Sunday League rep. It's gotten a lot harder in this version.

As for "ruining the sense of realism", if you think moving to a club would be so unrealistic, surely you can just, you know, not?

I haven't found this in FM14. Started off with sunday league rep in the Norwegian league 2nd division, took a club to the Premier Division and kept them there, then got a team in the Dutch 2nd division whom I then immediately led to promotion and a 10th place finish. However, not one club have shown any interest in hiring me, although that may be understandable until I get a trophy that's better than the Norwegian 1st division title!

If you want to talk about weird managerial choices, how about John Terry at AC Milan?

Without knowing how good a manager Terry is, how long he's been at it, what his successes have been and what his reputation is, there's nothing to talk about as it could be a perfectly sane appointment.

It is not just me, as other points out.

It is the other teams who select managers who have shown absolutely nothing. In my game, the 5 times in a row champions Red Bull Salzburg, their old manager retired and they hired a guy who failed twice in Denmark. In my game Austria are number 8 in european club rankings and Salzburg have often reached quarter finals in champions league. Why the game cant make sure that only managers with some success or reputation have a chance of landing this job is a bit beyond me. Perhaps it is a bigger problem in a little less popular country than in England, Germany?

I remember this being better in the old CM´games.

I also find the game a bit easier as the years go by, but I also could imagine that developers concentrate on how the game is performing the first 10 years and not expect too many like me, who never ever restarts and continues to the bitter end or the next FM version :)

Archived