How Counter Attacking works in FM 2014

Alright this one goes out to all the Football Manager geniuses out there. I believe there is a lot of confusion regarding how counter attacking works in Football Manager, some say an offensive strategy suits it better because it is more direct and finishes attacks faster, some say the opposite etc etc.

So here is the question, DO anyone know how it actually works? I mean in Football Manager 2013 we knew if the Counter box was ticked or not, but that isnt as clear in this years edition. I remember the defensive, counter and overload strategy had it ticked in previous versions, but the others didnt. Which I guess have transfered into this years edition of FM. I recall i read somewhere a year or two ago that when the team changes to "counter mode" in the match engine the teams overall pace gets increased and they get more adventurous and attacking. But if thats the case, shouldnt we be setting our TI as we wanted to play when we are not countering. You could be playing the ball patiently around when you are not countering or you could try at hoof it up the field etc etc.

If anyone can confirm any of this I believe it would be a big help for everyone, also let me know how do YOU think counter attacking works in FM 2014? and do you think any strategy is just as likely to counter attack?

Counter attacking definitely works in FM14 with Counter mentality too. It largely depends on the opposition attacking you from my experience. Once you become an established top side relevant to your division, it becomes very difficult to counter as the opposition rarely get enough men forward to leave a counter on.

Counter attacking definitely works in FM14 with Counter mentality too. It largely depends on the opposition attacking you from my experience. Once you become an established top side relevant to your division, it becomes very difficult to counter as the opposition rarely get enough men forward to leave a counter on.
Exactly, this somehow contradict with setting up a counter attacking tactic by going into a more aggressive strategy such as attacking. I feel like when using an attacking strategy it might work, but not as intetended. I will probably score most of my goals through build-up play instead of counters because no matter how low you will set the d-line I feel like you will still be pushed up too high and you wont find the needed space for it too succeed, and then you wont see many counter attacks.

You got a really good point in, it is hard to counter a lesser dominant side, if you are a top side in your league because they wont be pushed up so much. This is here the thing about a certain "counter mode" can help us I think, if it exists of course, because we can then setup our side to play patiently and lure the team forward, and still sit relatively deep.

I took Walsall from League 1 to the Premiership in 2 seasons using only counter, and it worked as a counter tactic, we literally soaked up everything then killed teams on the break. I did the same in the Premiership for a few seasons. First season I finished 12th which was ridiculous considering how poor my squad was, and then the next season 8th, from then on it started to fail because teams gave me much more respect, and I had to reevaluate how we were playing.

Things of note if you want to play counter attacking football on FM 14 (In my opinion only)

* The lower your rep in your division, the easier it will be to use counter attack, because teams will attack you. As you get a better rep it becomes harder.

* You need quick players in attack. (or at least it helps)

* Be prepared to watch mostly the opposition with the ball, shooting from range mostly as they get frustrated.

* Be prepared to take a couple of beatings when the opposition get a couple of goals, it's very difficult to get back in the game without a plan B.

If you go to post 83 in my thread, I have a bit of a write up of my counter tactic. Been a while now, if I did it now, I may change a few things, but it worked a charm. For those few seasons, possibly the most fun I have had with any version of FM, was so much fun frustrating the opposition and scoring on the break all the time. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380281-Building-a-Club-DNA-Football-Philosophy-Tactical-Visions-Youth-Development?p=9377803&viewfull=1#post9377803

I took Walsall from League 1 to the Premiership in 2 seasons using only counter, and it worked as a counter tactic, we literally soaked up everything then killed teams on the break. I did the same in the Premiership for a few seasons. First season I finished 12th which was ridiculous considering how poor my squad was, and then the next season 8th, from then on it started to fail because teams gave me much more respect, and I had to reevaluate how we were playing.

Things of note if you want to play counter attacking football on FM 14 (In my opinion only)

* The lower your rep in your division, the easier it will be to use counter attack, because teams will attack you. As you get a better rep it becomes harder.

* You need quick players in attack. (or at least it helps)

* Be prepared to watch mostly the opposition with the ball, shooting from range mostly as they get frustrated.

* Be prepared to take a couple of beatings when the opposition get a couple of goals, it's very difficult to get back in the game without a plan B.

If you go to post 83 in my thread, I have a bit of a write up of my counter tactic. Been a while now, if I did it now, I may change a few things, but it worked a charm. For those few seasons, possibly the most fun I have had with any version of FM, was so much fun frustrating the opposition and scoring on the break all the time. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380281-Building-a-Club-DNA-Football-Philosophy-Tactical-Visions-Youth-Development?p=9377803&viewfull=1#post9377803

Alright, Ill check out your post in the other thread, thanks for sharing this kind of gold with me

At some point at least the counter box was only ticked in counter and attacking. I skip some of the versions so I don't have the whole picture.

But as far as I know, the counter is on when the opponent has few players back and you have many players ready to pounce.

When the counter is on, you'll essentially play with overload, until it isn't on anymore.

It's fairly simple as far as I know.

It wouldn't be bad if, we could simply choose how attacking we're on the ball, how cautious we're without the ball, how aggressive our attacking and defensive transitions are. Throw some team instructions regarding transitions in.

Nah, maybe choosing four mentalities is too complicated when we're trying to simplify. ;)

In old terms, the impact of the counter box being ticked was that a counter attack was started when there were less than X opposing players between the ball carrier and the opposing goal. Ticking the box meant that X was a bigger number than with the box unticked, making it more likely that a team tried to catch the opposition on the break when winning back the ball.

In new terms, counter attacks still initiate on this same sort of basis, but the adjustment to x only happens in Counter, Overload and Defensive Mentalities as far as I'm aware. Caveat being that I usually get things at least partially wrong :)

Archived