My Quest for Premier League Football

Defensive Mentalities have more direct passing at the back (to get the ball clear from danger) and shorter passing with Attack Duties.

Standard is neutral.

Attacking sees shorter passing with the Defend Duties and more direct with the Attack Duties.

Playmakers are on Mixed passing irrespective of Mentality - until you start layering on TIs and / or PIs.

Shorter passing TI doesn't affect a playmakers passing does it ? Retain possession does is that correct ?

Also does a TQ playing as a striker count as a Playmaker ?

Shorter passing TI doesn't affect a playmakers passing does it ? Retain possession does is that correct ?

Playmakers are set to a neutral ("Mixed") passing length irrespective of the Mentality. If you then layer on a PI or TI, it will still affect their passing length.

Also does a TQ playing as a striker count as a Playmaker ?

Yes. Irrespective of where he plays, a Treq is a Playmaker.

• 4 weeks later...

This is from memory, as I can't see the image whilst at work :mad:

The Duty balance is fine. I'd advise you to watch a match in full just to see how the MC duo move. They may end up exposing the DM a bit, but you just need to see if this is actually an issue.

With regard to Team Instructions, I was a bit confused by the use of Play Out Of Defence, given that you will pass short at the back when you use Control Mentality. I'm not sure it's needed. Why did you choose Push Higher Up? Was it based on something you'd seen, was it an attempt to push the line up given the fact that a DM will by default reduce it a bit?

All in all, it's a good system on paper. If the MCs function together well then you should get decent support up to the striker. All you need to do now is make the right decisions in matches :brock:

This is from memory, as I can't see the image whilst at work :mad:

The Duty balance is fine. I'd advise you to watch a match in full just to see how the MC duo move. They may end up exposing the DM a bit, but you just need to see if this is actually an issue.

With regard to Team Instructions, I was a bit confused by the use of Play Out Of Defence, given that you will pass short at the back when you use Control Mentality. I'm not sure it's needed. Why did you choose Push Higher Up? Was it based on something you'd seen, was it an attempt to push the line up given the fact that a DM will by default reduce it a bit?

All in all, it's a good system on paper. If the MCs function together well then you should get decent support up to the striker. All you need to do now is make the right decisions in matches :brock:

It was advice I'd read from LLAMA's Pair and combination thread. This is for a 4-2-3-1 formation though. I also ask my DM to close down less.

• 3 weeks later...

After taking your advice things were still not clicking. I've decided to start watching games in full match. I'm using my 4-1-4-1 formation. I am trying to create a possession tactic so my base instruction are these:

Strategy- Control

Shorter Passing

Work ball into box

Play out of defence-advice from LLAMA'S thread.

Push higher up.

I was playing Newcastle in the EPL. They were playing 4-2-3-1 formation. I asked my wide men to mark there's. I also asked my DMC to mark there AMC.

First thing I noticed was my DMC was dropping back into the back line a lot. Could this be because I have asked him to man mark there AMC?

The DC's were pushing up to close to the DMC there were almost on top of him, I dropped the Push up shout. is this the right thinking?

My left WB-Attack was playing some very odd long balls? He was almost rushing it, I ask him to pass shorter.

My right sided winger-Attack, was making some poor short passes forward, I asked him to be more direct, again is this the right thinking?

Odd question: Where should I expect my DMC and MC's to be in this set-up?

Archived