Best Role for a Lone Centre Forward

Hi.

I was wondering what people's opinions are concerning the best roles and duties for a lone striker.

I am currently playing with a defensive possession based 4-1DM-2-2-1 with an inside forward and a winger as the top 2 and a CM-A and BBM as the middle 2.

I've been playing my lone striker as an F9 purely because my best forward was strongest in that role. It's not worked out too bad for me but I was wondering whether or not I should recruit a bigger stronger player who could play as a target man and whether that would suit my slow possession based game better.

I would imagine that a Complete Centre Forward would be best suited to the position but I am not going to be able to recruit a player of the right caliber for that role to my club.

Best,

Jim.

It would depend on what you want from forward (aka what you want him to do/how you want him to interact with the other players on your team) as well as what your strikers is good at attribute wise.

Since you have 3 potential runners, you'd probably be better off with a lone forward who will drop off and/or move around to create space for the IF/CM-A/BBM to run into. Tbh, a false nine is a decent choice. Actually I think a target man might not be the best seeing how I'd imagine he'd play rather static and might cause your team to hoof it towards him. And that would go against your style of play.

A F9, DLF-s, or CF-s would be good imo.

DOn't be afraid to try a CF-s mate. There's no harm in giving it a try. If it works for you great. And if it doesn't you can always try another role.

Thanks Aderow.

I think experimentation is probably the key I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were.

I'm not sure on the TM either as according to the in game description of the role it might work better with a strike partner to play off. I have thought about using the F9 and adapting the role with player instructions, for example, to hold up the ball more.

Best,

Jim

I've always found that if you're going to use a target man as a lone forward then you either need to be playing quite narrow so people are close by or you possibly need an AMC that plays close to him mentality wise. If you have a DLP in DM then your defenders will play it to him rather than launch it forward I always seem to find. A lack of playmaker in midfield seems to cause more long punts.

Thanks Aderow.

I think experimentation is probably the key I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were.

I'm not sure on the TM either as according to the in game description of the role it might work better with a strike partner to play off. I have thought about using the F9 and adapting the role with player instructions, for example, to hold up the ball more.

Best,

Jim

Definitely mate. Just see what works for you :thup:

It's all about your tactics, I'm playing a 5-3-1-1 at the moment and have a CF/S roaming due to their default setting of going to the channels. The AM/Treq and a CM/A making runs from the left, as well as a CWB in the RB slot give the lone front man options and support from all angles and it's proving mighty effective.

When seeing out the win, I bring on a battle ox striker as a DF/S.

So really it's a mixture of the player you have and what you're looking for in the tactic. I personally try to use CF/S because I feel it offers the best movement and F9s don't seem to work for me unless it's a 2 man strike partnership. But any role will work if you give him support, outlets and runners from deep.

Archived