Why can't SI add Cyprus?

I know it's been said again and again, and I know SI repeat the 'there will be no new additions etc', but is it possible to actually get an explanation as to why SI won't add the Cypriot league into FM? I'd draw your attention to the following points:

1) Cyprus this year was high enough in UEFA co-efficients to have TWO teams in CL qualifying.

2) APOEL last night qualified for the CL for the 3rd time in 5 years, and a European competition for the 4th time in 5 years.

3) AEL Limassol, AEK Larnaka, APOEL Nicosia, Anorthosis Famagusta and Apollon Limassol have all qualified for a European proper competition in the last 6 years, you might be able to add Omonoia Nicosia to that list after tonight.

4) Cypriot teams have signed new TV deals work 1.5-2.3m a year to the big 5 clubs, and big clubs have sponsorships worth around 800k-1.5M depending on the club. For a 'small' league that's a significant amount of money. You wouldn't be managing a club with no resources to bring in good players.

5) Cyprus is one of Europe's most popular holiday destinations, with a now established football culture. It's not an unknown country no one has heard of.

I really don't see why leagues worse than the Cypriot league should be in the game, but Cyprus can't be. As for the work it will take, there are already some fantastic and complete edits that include the Cypriot league system. I am sure the editors (myself included) would be more than happy taking up the role of researching and implementing Cyprus into the game.

I feel the, 'there will be no new additions' no longer suffices as an explanation, neither does, 'you can add it with the editor'. Cyprus has cemented itself as a top 20 European league at least, and Cyprus is one of Europe's most popular holiday destinations. It's not like we're talking about a country nobody has heard of, with a non-existent football culture. A simple 12 team 1st division, 14 team 2nd division, 26 team 2 round cup, and super cup, is all that has to be added.

The fact that SI won't consider including it is becoming insulting and offensive.

None of your points really matter when it comes to adding leagues though. They obviously have the set of leagues they are happy with, and despite you saying it doesn't work as an explanation, there is the editor. Why would they bother with recruiting reliable researchers, gather all the data, spend the time inputting it, etc etc etc, when someone is going to do it anyway unofficially?

None of your points really matter when it comes to adding leagues though. They obviously have the set of leagues they are happy with, and despite you saying it doesn't work as an explanation, there is the editor. Why would they bother with recruiting reliable researchers, gather all the data, spend the time inputting it, etc etc etc, when someone is going to do it anyway unofficially?

If they were bothered to do it with other leagues, I don't see why they can't be bothered to do it with Cyprus? Or is the game never going to bother evolving with world football, or try to encompass as many nations as possible? FM Greece already handle all the research for Cyprus so they actually wouldn't need to recruit anyone new. It'd just be a matter of incorporating it into the game in a league structure sense.

Pretty sure there's a DB edit available in the Editor's forum that activates the Cypriot league. There was definitely one for FM13.

I, and others made ones for FM12-14, but the thing is that a team will be able to make a better product, and being a part of an SI research team may lead to more accurate research in terms of things like Prize Money, Sponsorships and so on.

Maybe it's because the market for FM isn't big enough in Cyprus? I would expect that to be the biggest driver.

No disrespect to these nations, but if it's deemed Iceland, Belarus and Slovenia have a big enough market for FM, then I think it's fair to assume that Cyprus that takes in a larger percentage of tourists has too.

I imagine it is the market size in Cyprus.. God knows what FM sales are like across Europe, but it isn't too far fetched to assume there's a good following in Iceland/Belarus etc. Perhaps Cypriots just haven't taken hold of it just yet.

• SI Staff

I don't believe there will be an inclusion of ANY more leagues.

Cypriot league is however, more or less, configured (teams and players in place) - so it should be fairly easy to select it using the in-game editor. And there will always be brilliant updates from 3rd parties.

They should remove Scotland and replace it with Cyprus.

A poor attempt at best.

Really only SI will know the reason why they don't cover it. Imagine it'll be a mix of the reasons already stated - they're happy with what they have, and they've provided an editor - mixed with more business reasons, perhaps market share, importance etc, and then a healthy sprinkling of "there's more important things".

But I see Neil from SI is in here, so maybe we'll get a more accurate answer.

ETA, after seeing Reddiablo's post - am I right in thinking that the Cypriot sides, at least the ones in Europe, will have fairly accurate squad lists? That's surely the biggest hurdle for any personal edit, so if they're in place, it's not like activating the Fijian lower divisions - the tools are all there to make a very good update file.

A poor attempt at best.

Really only SI will know the reason why they don't cover it. Imagine it'll be a mix of the reasons already stated - they're happy with what they have, and they've provided an editor - mixed with more business reasons, perhaps market share, importance etc, and then a healthy sprinkling of "there's more important things".

But I see Neil from SI is in here, so maybe we'll get a more accurate answer.

ETA, after seeing Reddiablo's post - am I right in thinking that the Cypriot sides, at least the ones in Europe, will have fairly accurate squad lists? That's surely the biggest hurdle for any personal edit, so if they're in place, it's not like activating the Fijian lower divisions - the tools are all there to make a very good update file.

Unless I am missing something about how hard it is to implement a league structure into the game, the tools are already there for SI to put it into the game. Next year (2014-2015) there will be a new club (formed 2014), as well as a club not in the DB, competing in the Second Division. Awards need to be added. Other than that, all that SI need to do is incorporate it into the existing game.

It's more about Cyprus deserving to be in the official product.

• SI Staff

Well, since it's not a directly playable league, there is a lower priority to have it fully up to date. I do think we have a Cypriot researcher though - I don't really deal with that many leagues, but we do make sure that players move to the Cypriot league (there's been a few Dutchies there lately) and vice versa.

A poor attempt at best.

I thought it was fair. Cyprus have 2 teams in the Champions League, Scotland none (because their only team failed to qualify, even after getting a second chance) and the league is much more competitive.

I for one would much rather play in the Cypriot League than the Scottish League.

I thought it was fair. Cyprus have 2 teams in the Champions League, Scotland none (because their only team failed to qualify, even after getting a second chance) and the league is much more competitive.

I for one would much rather play in the Cypriot League than the Scottish League.

Scotland has 3 Europa League finalists, 2 Cup Winners Cup winners (a further 2 finalists) and 1 Champions League (a further 1 finalist). Cyprus has zero for all 3. As well as that, there is a large following for FM in Scotland. Historically and commercially, Scotland deserves to be in FM more than Cyprus.

I'm all for more leagues as long as they keep the current ones.

A bit off topic but I was in Cyprus a month ago :D

Neither will they include nations which would upset another. Same thing happened with Taiwan not being included / being re-named a few FM's ago to keep China happy.

They made an official update for Gibraltar so I really doubt that this is the reason for Cyprus not being included. A more likely version is just that the league was not very good at all until recently...

Neither will they include nations which would upset another. Same thing happened with Taiwan not being included / being re-named a few FM's ago to keep China happy.

The only nation that the inclusion of Cyprus might upset is Turkey. Every other nation on the planet recognises Cyprus as a sovereign state. The inclusion of Israel probably upsets far more people than Cyprus, so I hope it's not the case that Cyprus is being excluded for political reasons.

They made an official update for Gibraltar so I really doubt that this is the reason for Cyprus not being included. A more likely version is just that the league was not very good at all until recently...

That's fair, but I really think that now the league has improved to a good standard for a 'small' nation, and individual edits are always unreliable. An SI backed inclusion could be far more accurate, fair, and extensive.

From what I remember there was a thread several years back that mentioned what is generally needed to get a new league into the game (possibly about people wanting more African leagues, or people wanting one of the missing European leagues), the various reason I remember were:

- Research, for a league to stand any chance of being added they need to have the researchers for it.

- Stability and complexity of the league, a league that goes through major changes every couple of seasons or has some complex rules has less chance of being added than a simple steady format.

- Market Size, if adding a league will increase FM's sales it's more likely to be added.

- Licensing - Japanese league cannot be added due to licensing issues, also possible ease of getting licenses for cypriot teams may affect chances of league being added.

Other things that would be likely to affect the odds of a league being added would be the workload at SI (they may not have the spare people/time to add more leagues) or whether someone at SI wants to play in the Cypriot league bad enough to pester whoever makes the decision until they agree.

The best ways you can help is to help out with the Cyprus research (if you don't already) or try and contact whoever is responible for licensing at the Cyrpiot FA/League/Teams and encourage them to give FM an official license.

From what I remember there was a thread several years back that mentioned what is generally needed to get a new league into the game (possibly about people wanting more African leagues, or people wanting one of the missing European leagues), the various reason I remember were:

- Research, for a league to stand any chance of being added they need to have the researchers for it.

- Stability and complexity of the league, a league that goes through major changes every couple of seasons or has some complex rules has less chance of being added than a simple steady format.

- Market Size, if adding a league will increase FM's sales it's more likely to be added.

- Licensing - Japanese league cannot be added due to licensing issues, also possible ease of getting licenses for cypriot teams may affect chances of league being added.

Other things that would be likely to affect the odds of a league being added would be the workload at SI (they may not have the spare people/time to add more leagues) or whether someone at SI wants to play in the Cypriot league bad enough to pester whoever makes the decision until they agree.

The best ways you can help is to help out with the Cyprus research (if you don't already) or try and contact whoever is responible for licensing at the Cyrpiot FA/League/Teams and encourage them to give FM an official license.

Thank you for this, I appreciate your response greatly. I guess your suggestion of contacting the FA/licensing, as well as researchers to try and see if we can get this done is the best path right now. Hopefully we can generate enough interest and support from researchers/whoever else involved to get this done.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the issues normally come from licensing issues. But if you believe that a Cypriot league should be in then offer your services to work as a Cypriot researcher and over time they may be interested in your work and look to implement the league.

Archived