How to break out of a winless streak?

I don't like to ask for advice on here often but after winning the Skrill North in the 2nd season with Gainsborough Trinity we was destroyed on a weekly basis in the Skrill Premier going down bottom of the league, I then had 4 painful seasons in the skill north, 2nd(play off semi defeat) 3rd (play off final defeat) 3rd (play off final penalty defeat) 4th (Play offs winner!)

I had a young squad and have kept most of them despite Non contracts and having lots of interest. Added a few players but haven't had a good start to the season back in the Skrill premier, 12 games in, 2 pts and im stuck for ideas, my attacking 4-3-3 from last season I scrapped straight away for a 4-4-2, after 5 games without a point I went back to our 4-3-3 managing to get our first draw but then 2 big defeats being tore apart by wingers, I then swapped to a 4231 asymmetric formation we used occasionally in previous seasons got us our 2nd point of the season but still doesn't look to save us..

I'm hoping with the FA Cup rounds and Fa Trophy coming up some wins against lower league sides will get some confidence back and push us forward but we are now sinking fast

If I can't get out of a winless streak I'll either reevaluate my squad entirely and create a tactic to suit them - though I habitually revert back at some point - or I arrange a friendly against a lower league side to pick up a win.

The tactic I'm with currently picking up 1pt from 5 games, the 4231, All defender on a "d" duty, DM with a "d" CM and WML "s" AMR & CF 2 "a"

I play under a defensive mentality, with instructions to "Go route one" "Drop deeper & Stick to positions" Team talks I try to be positive encouraging them to break us out of this bad run etc, unlucky in defeat, have been aggressive with bad performances. I concede a lot of goals from set pieces despite a tall keeper and centre backs, aswell as all pre match training being defending set pieces, this is a problem from last season still!

The tactic I'm with currently picking up 1pt from 5 games, the 4231, All defender on a "d" duty, DM with a "d" CM and WML "s" AMR & CF 2 "a"

I play under a defensive mentality, with instructions to "Go route one" "Drop deeper & Stick to positions" Team talks I try to be positive encouraging them to break us out of this bad run etc, unlucky in defeat, have been aggressive with bad performances. I concede a lot of goals from set pieces despite a tall keeper and centre backs, aswell as all pre match training being defending set pieces, this is a problem from last season still!

Not sure I quite understood your setup, but I'd try a bit more offensive on the backs (I assume you use FB due to the "D" duty) and set them to "s". Maybe one CM to "a" and one at "s", while setting one CF to "s". All this to try to create better movement and link up between the lines.

Without seeing more it's difficult to assess your route one instruction, but I find that long ball duels vs better teams are too easily picked out by the defender. Maybe tone it down and try "more direct passing" instead?

games 19 an 20 we have secured out first 2 wins of the season! 5pts off 23rd place and 8pts off safety, a good Fa Cup run too, beating Skrill South runaway leader Stockport 1-0 in the 4th qualys and L2 Aldershot 4-0!! in the first round! Rochdale in Round 2 to look forward too.

I feel the most beneficial change I made was the advice of "more direct passing" this seems to get my attacking players on the ball more, and therefore getting chances, going "route one" was leaving them balls to run onto and they repeatedly run out of play, to the GK or we go offside, fingers crossed I can continue this form till the end of the season! Staying up will be a huge challenge but I hope if I manage to stay up the board may finally turn us professional

I've found that organising a midweek friendly against a local team sometimes helps morale and hence breaks out of a winless run. I understand it's not so easy in the skrill premier due to fixture congestion. If you're reputation is still low, most teams will go all out attack against you. Try a counter attacking tactic

So an update on last nights fixtures, our 2 wins a row came to an end with a 1-0 defeat to 2nd place York, Then we had our Fa cup game away to Rochdale, a late equaliser to draw 1-1 and hitting the bar even later replay continued our fairytale though! 2-0 down just after half time but my young AMC scored twice 2 force extra time, winning 6-5 on penalties and we've set up a 3rd round tie away at Championship strugglers QPR! :D

After the York game I managed to get another run going in the league! 1-0 Winsover Altrincham & Tamworth topped with a 5-1 victory against Ebbsfleet! Still bottom of the league, 1 pt behind 23rd place, 5pts off safety! 7pts off 16th! Looking hopeful for us part timers.. will update this hopefully with a survival story! but thanks for the tips and advice!

MECAP your right, I've noticed my team performing better when I tell the have no pressure in team talks etc and then being happy and keep it up when 0-0 at half time has been quite common when we win 1-0 games with second half goals, once it's 80 mins if I have a lead I try to lock it down, "much deeper defence" "stick to positions" "waste time" contain mentality, it can be nervy as it does invite pressure but I find it means the over team end up shooting from long range and the quality isn't that great in the skrill premier so haven't been punished yet

Nice with the updates :). Let's hope it's going to be a survival story!

I find the same as mentioned above. Yelling and screaming isn't going to work if your morale is shot. Playing down expectations can be quite effective when in a bad spot, both in media and pre-match team talk.

Good luck!

Right now my problem is constantly winning at first half and losing the game at the end. If I end up winning by 3-0 I really get scared, just know they will find a way to screw it up. Tried keep it up, guard against complacency, skip team talk, even not satisfied, nothing seems to help. Maybe I should just aim for draws and at the end act as if we had won the finals.

I agree that many times the enjoy game is helpfull, but sometimes they just get lazy or even worst confused and demotivated.

if you haven't trained defensive mentality @ tactics - bars are low(under 50%), you will definately leak goals at the end, so either stick what you are using at the moment I guess standard/control formation or train defensive/counter attack variant of your formation, same for tempo

Archived