Players signing for other teams - for WAY less wages

So I scouted a Free Transfer from Brazil. Completely out of contract (released on a free) I approach him, and he asks for $15k/week salary, $3.5k appearance fee, and various other clauses. Being 19 y/o, and a 1.5 CA (but 4.5 PA), I decide not to pursue him at the moment, however I did add him to my shortlist to keep an eye on him.

3 weeks later - he signs for a team in the 2nd division in Ukraine - a 4 year deal for $1.4k/week and an appearance fee of $250!!! I don't understand???

I am playing a mid-table team in the Serie A (promoted up from C2), my Finances are OK but I'm not super rich. I can understand him asking for more since I'm a "richer" club, but why would he settle for a 1.4k/wk deal, in an obscure league (At least compared to the Serie A)? He walked away from my contract negotiations after I tried to lower his wages to $11k/wk. So if that is way too low, why in the heck would he sign for $1.4k/wk??

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply. I guess this makes sense in a game programming standpoint, but from a "real life" standpoint (for lack of a better term) all I can say is "Yikes!!"

This wouldn't make any sense if this happened in real life, but again, completely understand the logic behind why this is happening in the game.

I guess if he signed for a team in his own country (Brazil) for much less wages, then OK, but...Ukraine?

Reminds me when I tried to sign a 34 year old Messi, who was on 7.5k wages in argentina, and he wouldn't go below £250k demands (which i can't afford). He then signed for monaco for about 100k wages. (although he doesn't want to play in Italy) :/.

Shouldn't it be the other way round?

You'd want more money to play in an obscure league and less for a good league?

Sounds quite reasonable to me. Didn't Eto'o play in a rather obscure league for some incredibly high wages?

Don't a lot of Brazilians end up moving to Ukraine? What are the tax laws like there too? Like Alex says, you can never compare these things like for like unless they are just that - like for like. The one shortcoming is the fact that players don't really have "memory". It's just not something that has been built in yet, and probably isn't particularly trivial to add it. They're just bits of code, with a goal in mind. You didn't meet that goal, the Ukrainian side did.

And the real life argument is a minefield - you have a much broader visibility on the football world in FM than you do in real life. This could happen with pretty much every player in the real world, and all you'd get is a few mentions about it in some of the more high profile cases.

Archived