The Flight of the Concord

Stretch

1/7/14

It had been about a year now since I got my unexpected break into football management.

My name admittedly wasn’t one that the average football fan would know. To be honest I'd expect not even the everything-about-football buff on your pub quiz team would know it, but I was once a player. After an impressive season with my local side and the school team, I found myself as a 14 year old joining the youth program at my boyhood side West Ham.

Before I was old enough to celebrate with a glass of bubbly though, the dream had already started turning sour. Having recently churned out Rio, Frank and Joe among others, I wouldn’t go on to be the next big thing from the famous academy. I found myself released from the Hammers before turning professional.

Maybe the blow of my Premier League dream being blown dented my enthusiasm somewhat, but as time went on my chances of salvaging a career in the game diminished rapidly, failing to impress at trials with clubs further and further down the ladder. By the time I'd turned 22 - following a brief journeyman career at local non-league sides - I called it quits and found myself working 9-5 in my home town of Southend.

As the months began to pass in tedious office employment I gradually began to rediscover my love for the sport as a supporter. I remembered the enjoyment and delight I’d had in my early years, rather than the near-hatred I developed in the difficult spells after leaving Chadwell Heath. As something to satisfy the hunger – and keep me from the routine toil of the day job and lonely pints in the local Wetherspoons - I started doing a bit of coaching part time. Initially I just helped out with a team based at the local park, and after success with them I decided to send a cheeky CV off to a few of the higher profile clubs in the region.

Naturally, the average response was "Thank you for your interest in the club..." followed by an occasionally polite reminder that winning the 4th division of a local Sunday League, in terms of meaningful achievement, ranked me somewhere between a retired P.E. teacher and the teenager who wrote in informing them of his Champions League winning exploits on a computer game. But eventually, positive news landed on the doormat.

Danny Cowley, who I’d crossed paths with as a player, got in touch from Canvey Island based Concord Rangers, who had enjoyed two promotions in three years from the Essex Senior League to the Isthmian Premier, and were one rung below the Conference divisions. After a brief visit I was on the staff, assisting with training one night a week and at matches each weekend.

The passion flooded back from there on. The Isthmian Premier may have been a footnote in terms of Saturday afternoons in English football, and attended by little more than family and friends of those involved, but I loved it.

A little over 2 years later, in May 2013, we celebrated another promotion, as victory in the Isthmian Premier play-offs saw us into the Skrill South. Cowley shocked everyone at the club by resigning ahead of the summer break, but after a lengthy period of uncertainty the bigger shock came when the chairman invited me to a meeting one morning this time last year.

I reluctantly made the short drive over to the island, fully expecting to be informed a new management team had been installed, and as far as I was concerned it was “Thanks for your help, collect the P45 on the way out.”

I was half right, I suppose.

I nearly choked on my coffee when he asked if I’d consider being the new management. He wanted someone who knew the club and had the respect of the players, and assistant Glen Alzapiedi had expressed a preference to remain in his number two role. With a likely difficult season attempting to stay up he couldn’t afford any aggravation in the dressing room.

I was a 20 something with sod all experience of managing anything since the office put me in charge of the work experience kids, so naturally I should’ve suggested looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately I eagerly signed the contract and was about to lead this tiny club onto it’s biggest stage yet.

FM14, original DB with English Leagues down to Skrill regionals loaded. Picking up in summer 2014 so will be briefly recapping 2013/14 before cracking on.

2013-14 Recap – July-December

After a promising pre season campaign delivered 6 wins from 6, including the 4-1 demolition of Aston Villa’s reserves, I took my place in the dugout for the Skrill South opener full of confidence despite the bookies and media marking us down as certs for relegation.

An uninspiring 1-1 draw at home to Basingstoke later, maybe not so much. However the short trip to Chelmsford yielded a 6-0 victory, Jacob Cleaver starting on his way to an excellent season by claiming the match ball there, and although a goalless draw at Dover followed, by the end of September we found ourselves top of the table.

Sutton, Bath, Dorchester, Eastbourne, Bromley and Maidenhead all tasted defeat as we won six on the spin and stayed unbeaten to claim 23 points from a possible 27 at this early stage, the prolific Cleaver already reaching double figures and strike partner Sam Higgins close behind with 6 goals.

September came to a close with the start of our participation in the FA Cup, where we faced Thamesmead of the Isthmian League. After going behind early we looked to be heading out immediately but Danny Spendlove spared a few blushes to take the game into a replay with a late strike. Unfortunately, it might as well have ended immediately because four days later we made the trip to London for the replay, this time failing to recover after going 1-0 behind.

Fortunately our league form stayed intact, and although our winning run ended at promotion favourites Eastleigh with a 1-1 draw, we won the next two before Farnborough finally defeated us in the final week of October.

After beating another of the promotion favourites, Ebbsfleet, 3-1 we suffered two league defeats in a row to make it a miserable November. However sandwiched between those losses was a straightforward victory over Burnham Ramblers to progress past the first hurdle of the FA Trophy, and we would then end November with the visit of Skrill Premier side Braintree Town.

Cleaver looked to have sent is through with his first half effort but The Iron equalised with 10 minutes to play and set up a trip to Cressing Road for another cup replay. This time Higgins put us in front early on, with the hosts equalising shortly after half time it looked set there’d be nothing after 180 minutes to split the teams. However in injury time James White hit a woeful backpass allowing Braintree to steal it at the end. Not that I’m a ruthless guy, but that proved to be the midfielder’s final contribution to the club as he moved to Cray Wanderers a couple of days later.

The run-in to Christmas brought a promising return to form, with wins over Gosport and Havant & Waterlooville either side of a goalless draw at Bishop's Stortford, however Boxing Day brought a 2-0 loss at Boreham Wood and the 2-1 reverse to finish the year against Chelmsford was particularly disheartening given the result on their patch back in August.

However as 2013 came to a close, we remained very much in the hunt, an intriguing three-team game of leapfrog developing between ourselves, Eastleigh and Ebbsfleet.

2013-14 Recap – January – May

New years day brought a dire result. Finishing with 9 men after a red card and a late injury, we went down 5-0 against Boreham Wood to begin the New Year. Fortunately we quickly recovered from our Christmas lull and 3-0 wins over Bromley and Hayes & Yeading sandwiched a draw in Dorchester. Single goal victories over Tonbridge and Staines followed before a poor February saw us lose three in a row, most notably a 3-2 defeat to Ebbsfleet in a vital six-pointer at the top of the table.

With those defeats our two rivals for the title had opened a little breathing space at the top, so a good run of form was vital. Although we proceeded to lose only twice in the remaining twelve fixtures, a run of four draws from five games ended our realistic participation in the title race by early April.

A 3-2 victory at Havant & Waterlooville would guarantee at least two more games on our season with four games of the regular season to play however, and we looked to be building up some steam to take to the end of the season with wins over Tonbridge, Dover and Sutton, guaranteeing us a third place finish, before the curtain came down with a disappointing 3-1 loss against Bath. Meanwhile, Ebbsfleet had wrapped up the title and their place in the Premier on the penultimate weekend.

We went into the playoffs on the back of a decent run of form, but the only momentum we seemed to take into our semi final clash with Whitehawk was from the season ending Bath game, proceeding to go down 3-1 in the away leg. Back at the Aspect Arena we dominated much of the match, but after going 1-0 down early on it was an uphill battle and although captain Tony Stokes bagged a leveller on the night, we couldn’t reverse the deficit and lost out 4-2 on aggregate.

Favourites Eastleigh took their place in the Premier with a 2-0 win over our conquerors a week later.

2014-15 SQUAD

Goalkeepers

Ollie BOWLES, 19 – English (2013/14: 0 appearances)

The Concord youth product is second choice. To Butler. Probably says a lot about his prospects in football.

Jamie BUTLER, 22 – English (2013/14: 49 apps, 64 conceded, 13 clean sheets, 1 man of the match)

After leaving Spurs as a youngster Jamie had mixed spells with Bromley, Tooting & Mitcham and Met Police. His tendency to punch, kick and flap at balls rather than just catching them means he could probably fill a 1990s Danny Baker video with his mistakes, but had a decent debut season at the club and will do the trick at this level.

Defenders

Sam COLLINS, 25 – English (2013/14: 39 apps, 0 goals, 2 assists)

Versatile left sided player who can do a job anywhere down that flank. Covered in defence regularly last year but actually much more useful further forward.

Paul GOODACRE, 29 – English (2013/14: 46 apps, 1 goal, 1 man of the match)

Club Captain

Slow, crap at passing, but a big, strong tough tackling centre back. Perfect for non league. The new skipper has spent 8 years playing at this level and was reliable at the heart of defence in his first season here.

John EASTERFORD, - English (2013/14: 40 apps, 1 assist, 1 man of the match)

See above for his main skills and weaknesses. Entering his 3rd season of this spell and sixth at the club overall having been here 2007-2010 previously, John was solid at the back last term.

Jack LAMPE, 22 – English (2013/14: 32 apps, 4 assists, 2 man of the match)

Can play on the right or centre of defence. Often appearing from the bench, Jack did well when called upon.

Kurt ROBINSON, 24 – English (2013/14: 12 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 man of the match)

The left back missed large parts of the season through injury but impressed when in the side and will hopefully be a more regular fixture this term. Better tackler than either Collins or White but lacks any sort of speed pushing forward.

Sam WHITE, 17 – English (2013/14: No appearances)

Youth prospect looks like he could be a decent pacey left back, although his 5'7'' frame and lack of strength present a concern. Can hopefully provide cover for Kurt and allow Collins to spend more time in midfield.

Midfield

Kelvin BOSSMAN, 23 – Ghanaian (2013/14: 6 appearances)

Joined shortly after New Year and struggled to settle initially, his short career has taken in nearly 10 clubs already in England and the Netherlands, and hopefully a decent run in the side will see the winger showing some good form. Possesses great pace but sometimes lacks the end result.

Stephen CAWLEY, 22 – English (2013/14: 49 appearances, 5 goals, 8 assists, 2 man of the match)

Something of the unsung hero, the tough tackling defensive midfielder quietly went about his business at the heart of midfield without grabbing the headlines. Very solid important player however.

Jermaine HINDS, 30 – English (2013/14: 21 appearances)

The veteran defensive midfielder missed time with injury and struggled to produce when played. Could be surplus to requirements this term.

Liam KINGSMILL, 20 – English (2013/14: 38 apps, 3 goals, 13 assists, 3 man of the match)

The more creative, attacking player alongside Cawley, the young central midfielder had an excellent debut season and if he can push on he could be a vital player in this league.

Nathan LIVINGS, 22 – English (2013/14: 15 apps, 3 assists)

Another decent winger who can get down the flank at speed but often finds a spectator or a corner flag rather than a teammate or the back of the net. Often a backup last year but did a decent job when called upon.

Attack

Jacob Cleaver, 21 – English (40 apps, 26 goals, 9 assists, 5 man of the match)

Concord Rangers Player of the Year 2013/14

The quick young striker wasn’t initially first choice but took advantage of Tony Stokes missing a month or so injured early in the season. Excellent return of goals in his first season here.

Sam HIGGINS, 24 – English (44 apps, 17 goals, 13 assists, 3 man of the match)

Not quite as prolific as Jacob but chipped in with a good return of goals and has the potential to do real damage in this division.

Chris LANGHAM, 20 – English (2013/14: 9 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists)

Chris bagged a couple of goals but wasn’t fantastic when used. Making noise about getting more first team action so could be on the way out if that continues.

Notable Departures June 2014

Unfortunately a couple of our better players decided against extending their contracts beyond my first season. Skipper Tony Stokes ended his 4 year stay with a decent season, scoring 12 times to take his club total to 80 goals in 152 games. Jason Hallett scored 4 times in 22 appearances, mostly from the bench behind Cleaver & Higgins in his second season here before being allowed to move on.

Nicky Cowley only appeared sporadically in midfield thanks to the good form of Kingsmill and left after a 6 year stay, having also totalled 152 appearances, and finally talented young full back Bradley Hamilton, who impressed at right back, making 24 appearances, chose not to extend his stay on Canvey beyond a single season.

Pre Season 2014/15

13/7/14

With our Aspect Arena being improved to meet the League's standards, we'd spend the first few months of the season a few miles down the road in Southend, borrowing Roots Hall with it's capacity of around 12,000.

Only 20 of those seats were necessary for our opening friendly of the new season, a routine win over Slough Town, with Livings scoring just before half time, and Collins striking a pair of superb free kicks either side of Ash Hamlet grabbing a consolation.

Concord Rangers 3 (Livings 44, Collins 73, 89) Slough Town 1 (Hamlet 79)

15/7/14

Our first signing, replacing the departed Hamilton at right back was Adam Newton. The former West Ham trainee notched over 250 appearances in the Football League with Peterborough and Brentford before slipping down to Conference level in recent years. Capped four times by St. Kitts & Nevis, Newton can fill in anywhere on the right side.

Also incoming were a pair of attack minded central midfielders. 29 year old Elliott Bradbrook joins boasting a decent return of goals in a 5 year spell at Dartford, while Irish veteran George O'Callaghan, 34, joins after helping Lowestoft earn promotion to the Skrill North.

17/7/14

Another couple of new faces joined ahead of our second friendly. 29 year old winger Albert Jarrett, who graced the Premier League for about 20 minutes as a Watford substitute in 2006, joins following nearly 200 appearance at various clubs in the Football and Conference Leagues. 20 year old centre back Joe Noakes joins on a year's loan from Skrill South rivals Havant & Waterlooville.

Another routine win followed at bustling Roots Hall (attendance - 39), with Crawley Down Gatwick beaten 3-0 with goals from Langham, Bossman and new boy O'Callaghan.

Concord Rangers 3 (Langham 13, Bossman 45, O'Callaghan 48) Crawley Down Gatwick 0

21/7/14

Brett Longden was the latest arrival at the club, joining on loan from Luton for the season. The young right back will offer decent competition to Newton.

Back at Roots Hall, an all Essex clash attracted 17 die hards to an entertaining fixture. FC Clacton took an early lead through Keith Bacon before Bradbrook marked his debut with a quick brace. Bacon levelled shortly after the break but Higgins grabbed his first and second goals of pre-season to secure another victory.

Concord Rangers 4 (Bradbrook 22, 27, Higgins 54, 73) FC Clacton 2 (Bacon 16, 47)

26/7/14

Our first away friendly took us closer to home, back onto Canvey Island to face, er, Canvey Island. Our island rivals delivered for their fans as they took full advantage of a lacklustre performance and romped to a 3-1 win after O'Callaghan had put us into a first half lead.

Canvey Island 3 (Hahn 51, Hough 64, 82) Concord Rangers 1 (O'Callaghan 29)

2/8/14

A departure ahead of our latest friendly, with Jermaine Hinds moving on to Carshalton. After struggling to find rhythm last year, and improvements in his central midfield role made for this term, we shouldn't be too sorry to see him leave.

Meanwhile another thriller treated the couple of dozen who bothered. After seeing us ease into a 3-0 lead, Great Wakering gave us a match in the second half, clawing back to 3-2 before Higgins scored late on. A lively encounter that saw over 30 attempts between the teams just had time for one more with Oliver Spooner grabbing his second of the night deep in injury time.

CRFC Career - Jermaine Hinds: 2013-2014 - 21 Appearances

Concord Rangers 4 (Goodacre 9, Cawley 25, Collins 42, Higgins 88) Great Wakering Rovers 3 (Spooner 51, 90, Connett 71)

10/8/14

Our few weeks of warm up ended with a more straightforward win at Maidstone, and there was time for a last couple of moves before the opening day of the season next weekend.

Jack Lampe was edged towards the fringes of the side by the summer's arrivals and joined fellow promotion hopefuls Whitehawk, while another loan saw further replacement for Hinds joining in the shape of James Stevenson. The 22 year old joins from Luton but has already clocked over 100 appearances at this level with Leamington and Histon.

CRFC Career - Jack Lampe: 2012-2014 - 47 Appearances, 1 Goal, 4 Assists, 2 Man of the Match

Maidstone United 1 (Booth 82) Concord Rangers 3 (Bradbrook 29, Bossman 54, Livings 58)

Cheers guys

16/8/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 119)

Concord Rangers vs Farnborough

Butler, Longden (Newton 51), Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Kingsmill (Stevenson 78), Cawley, O'Callaghan, Bradbrook (Cleaver 86), Bossman, Higgins

We started against one of the favourites for the drop and it quickly became apparent why the bookies had them in that position. Immediately from the kick off we had them up against it and we were only a few minutes in by the time we grabbed our first goal of the new campaign. Lewis Gonsalves' woeful attempted pass found only O'Callaghan, and the Irishman marked his debut with a superb cross for Higgins to find space and head home, rapidly ending the goal drought that plagued him towards the end of last season.

We should've raced clear of our visitors within half an hour, our best chance coming from the same combination as another O'Callaghan cross looked destined for the striker, only for Michael Alaile to just get enough of a touch to head it beyond Sam. Cawley also had a decent chance to double the lead, firing wide when in space at the edge of the box when he had plenty of time and room to at least make sure he worked the keeper.

Bradbrook opened his account on debut, a quick one-two with Higgins leaving Alaile and Nathan Koo-Boothe for dead and allowing the midfielder a simple tap in to double the lead. One more followed, Cawley finding the top corner with a free kick from just outside the D, leaving Kyle Merson with no chance in the Farnborough goal. The third goal came shortly before the visitors managed to trouble Butler which said much about the one-sided nature of the game. Koo-Boothe's sending off ended any chance of mounting a come back and a simple victory was seen out from there.

Concord Rangers 3 (Higgins 4, Bradbrook 39, Cawley 51) Farnborough 0 (Koo-Boothe sent off 67)

Man of the Match: Stephen Cawley (Concord Rangers)

19/8/14

Skrill South

Beveree Stadium, London (Attendance: 335)

Hampton & Richmond Borough vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Longden, Noakes, Goodacre, Robinson, Cawley (Newton 22), Stevenson, Livings, O'Callaghan (Bradbrook 45), Jarrett, Cleaver (Higgins 80)

Our first outing was to one of the newly promoted sides in the division this year, and it produced something fairly memorable for their first home game. After we started in lively fashion, Longden saw red early on for a reckless challenge on James Simmonds, who dusted himself down to take the resulting penalty. Butler made an excellent stop and after the manner of our play beforehand I hoped to retain our attacking shape and hope to grab a couple of goals before replacing the red carded right back.

Not the best move, as it turned out. In no time at all we were in deep trouble, Pierre Joseph-Dubois scoring one and providing another in the space of a minute to put the hosts in front, and after Butler made two great saves a couple of minutes later the barrage was obviously getting too much and Newton was quickly called from the subs bench. Before he could get on the pitch however, Karl Cunningham had grabbed his second to make it 3-0.

By half time it was four, with Josh Ekim tapping in at the second attempt after seeing his shot saved, but after an angry half time team talk we finally found some rhythm in our game. Bradbrook saw a long range effort saved, but skipper Dominic Langdon's clearance was poor and found only Cleaver who tapped into the empty net. The striker made it two in similar fashion soon after, Jarrett's corner poorly headed clear and Livings rattling the post before he picked up the rebound, and should have had the match ball moments later but fired straight at Joe Welch.

A thrilling finish looked inevitable and with a quarter of an hour still to play, Newton's cross was headed away by Brown, only for Livings to hammer the volley home from the corner of the penalty area, however a poor goal kick from Butler was intercepted by Ekim, whose quick pass to Cunningham allowed the striker time to place his finish and ensure all three points and the match ball.

Hampton & Richmond Borough 5 (Joseph-Dubois 16, Cunningham 17, 22, 81, Ekim 42) Concord Rangers 3 (Cleaver 55, 58, Livings 74, Longden sent off 14)

Man of the Match: Karl Cunningham (Hampton & Richmond Borough)

24/8/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 139)

Concord Rangers vs Sutton United

Butler, Newton, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Kingsmill, Cawley, Bossman, Bradbrook (O'Callaghan 75), Jarrett, Higgins (Cleaver 83)

Truly a game of two halves, the first of which was well in our favour, Higgins tapping in the opener just seven minutes in after good work down the right flank from Newton and Bossman. Newton himself almost doubled the lead moments later, as a cross looped towards the top corner and almost left Grant Smith red-faced before he managed to tip it over the bar.

We remained in charge and with half hour played got the deserved second, Bossman found himself through on goal after exchanging quick passes with Bradbrook and Cawley, drawing the keeper out before unselfishly sliding it across the box for Higgins to tap in to the open goal. The winger set up another shortly before half time, heading Collins' free kick into the path of Newton, who skipped Phil Anderson's challenge and squeezed a powerful strike inside the near post from the corner of the penalty area.

After the break it was all Sutton, and they pulled one back within ten minutes of the restart. Kingsmill was dispossessed in midfield and James Maddison's quick pass found Marvin Williams clear to finish well. Williams turned provider soon after, laying Damian Scannell in to beat the advancing Butler with an expert lob from the edge of the box. Less than a quarter of an hour after their first goal, the comeback was complete, Daniel Leach heading home Brogan's corner to level the scores.

Fortunately we got back into the game, and the visitors struggled to create the chances to go for the winner. Unfortunately neither did we, until deep into injury time as Jarrett put Cleaver clear through on goal, only for last season's top scorer to give Smith a simple save, ensuring we were in a slightly odd position of having scored three goals per game and picked up only four of the nine points.

Concord Rangers 3 (Higgins 7, 30, Newton 41) Sutton United 3 (Williams 53, Scannell 60, Leach 66)

Man of the Match: Sam Higgins (Concord Rangers)

30/8/14

Skrill South

Woodspring Stadium, Weston-super-Mare (Attendance: 256)

Weston-super-Mare vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Newton (Collins 71), Easterford, Goodacre, Robinson, Bradbrook (Stevenson 71), Cawley, Bossman, O'Callaghan (Cleaver 86), Jarrett, Higgins

The Seagulls started the better side in front of their home crowd, enjoying most of the play, but importantly failed to really give Butler much more than a bit of catching practice. It was nearly half hour into the match before the first real chance, and it fell to Higgins who typically made the most of it, tapping in Cawley's low cross. Danny Sleath came close to equalising, finally forcing a good save out of Butler just before half time, but that was pretty much the last sniff of a chance the hosts had for the match.

It was pretty much our lot as well, until a late blast kept up our goalscoring average and ensured the journey back east would be with all three points. Jarrett's cross allowed Higgins to double his tally after Keiron Mace fluffed his clearance, and Bossman then cleverly pulled a low cross back to the edge of the area, the unmarked Stevenson running in to fire through the crowd and into the bottom corner.

Weston-super-Mare 0 Concord Rangers 3 (Higgins 28, 86, Stevenson 90)

Adam Newton, who was struggling before being substituted towards the end of the match, had twisted his knee and will be out of action for around a month.

Thanks Cheesey

6/9/14

Skrill South

Wheatsheaf Park, Staines-upon-Thames (Attendance: 290)

Staines Town vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Longden, Easterford, Goodacre (Noakes 67), Robinson, Stevenson, Cawley, Bossman, Bradbrook, Jarrett (Livings 87), Higgins (Cleaver 87)

A bit of a blow during the week pre-match, with O'Callaghan suffering a hernia and the medical staff informing me he'll be out of the reckoning for the thick end of the next two months. And a bit more of a blow with the match barely started, Louie Theophanous making the most of a poor clearance to put the hosts in front with just 30 seconds on the clock.

Quickly it went from bad to worse, Ben Gill finding Cyril Ocansey, whose near-backpass of a shot on goal was needlessly deflected beyond the keeper by Goodacre. Fortunately that was pretty much the last attack of any significance that the Swans could muster, and within a minute we had a foot back in the game. Bossman went down under the challenge of Elliot Ward, and the penalty was given amid protests of a dive. Loanee Stevenson stepped forward and calmly nestled the ball into the centre of Jack Turner's net.

Bossman provided, in less controversial fashion, for the equaliser soon after to cap a thrilling start to the match, his quick run down the right and cross giving Higgins the simple task of heading home at the near post. Just before the break the pressure finally broke down Staines and Higgins had his second, Robinson and Jarrett combining well on the left before finding Cawley at the edge of the box. With too much of a crowd to shoot through his pass into the area allowed the striker a simple finish.

It looked like the second half would see the floodgates well and truly opened as we doubled the lead within a couple of minutes. A great passing move involving half the team finished with Bradbrook cheekily chipping a pass over Jerel Ifil and allowing Higgins to volley in for his hat-trick, which would - despite dominating and keeping Turner a busy man throughout, prove to be the final goal.

Staines Town 2 (Theophanous 1, Goodacre og 7) Concord Rangers 4 (Stevenson pen 8, Higgins 14, 45, 47)

9/9/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 80)

Concord Rangers vs Maidenhead United

Butler, Longden (Collins 68), Easterford, Goodacre, Robinson, Stevenson (Livings 78), Cawley, Bossman, Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins

Maidenhead had started badly and found themselves bottom of the table prior to their trip to Essex, as we looked to hand out another thumping to continue our climb up the table. Peter Adeniyi ensured the worst possible start, bringing down Bradbrook to allow Stevenson another goal from the spot. The visiting skipper made amends soon after though, his long ball finding Peter Smith, who fired home from the edge of the box after exchanging passes with Sam Mulready.

The league's bottom side gave us a decent match until a ruthless few minutes just before half time. Poor defending allowed Jarrett and Cawley to push forward and find Bradbrook in space. The midfielders long-range effort was well saved by Elvijs Putnins but Higgins was as ever in the right place at the right time to snatch the rebound. A minute later Robinson's cross perfectly found Bradbrook who headed down to tee up Higgins to tap in his 10th goal this season in what is his fifth start.

Injury time brought a second penalty, Joe McNerney this time fouling Bradbrook, and Higgins stepped up in search of consecutive hat-tricks, calmly converting to collect another match ball.

The half time whistle ended the storm and the second half largely passed without incident, until Theo Fairweather-Johnson fired in from the edge of the box after Ade Osifuwa's cross had been weakly cleared. By the end though we restored the three-goal margin, Bossman and Higgins quickly shifting play from right to left, finding Jarrett in space to dash into the box and beat the Latvian keeper into the bottom corner.

Concord Rangers 5 (Stevenson pen 14, Higgins 42, 43, pen 45, Jarrett 89) Maidenhead United 2 (Smith 19, Fairweather-Johnson 82)

13/9/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 119)

Concord Rangers vs Havant & Waterlooville

Butler, Longden, Easterford, Goodacre, Robinson, Stevenson, Cawley (Kingsmill 69), Bossman (Livings 42), Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins

A quieter match after the recent goal-fests featured little in the way of attack from either side, both of us having started well and nervously trying to keep those records intact.

Higgins predictably put us ahead though, escaping his marker at Jarrett's corner to head across the goalmouth and in off the post, before Jarrett doubled the lead just before the break. A free kick from a foul which saw Bossman withdrawn with a gashed leg that'll keep him out until the end of the month was fired towards the top corner by Jarrett, leaving keep Jonathan North no chance.

The second half passed with little incident and the job was pretty much done, but the south coast side's hopes were ended ten minutes from time as Lee Molyneaux brought down Higgins, and as the last man it was a red card and first dibs on the showers for the defender. The resulting free kick was easily stopped by the wall but with a man lost the visitors couldn't mount anything of a comeback before the end.

Concord Rangers 2 (Higgins 11, Jarrett 43) Havant & Waterlooville 0 (Molyneaux sent off 79)

Man of the Match: Albert Jarrett

15/9/14

All eyes, well some, were on FA HQ for the FA Cup draw. The Second Qualifying Round would see us travelling down south to Lewes of the Isthmian Premier Division on Saturday.

20/9/14

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round

The Dripping Pan, Lewes (Attendance: 858)

Lewes vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Longden, Noakes, Goodacre, White (Robinson 72), Kingsmill, Cawley, Livings, Bradbrook (Jarrett 72), Collins, Cleaver

The Isthmian side briefly reached the Conference Premier a few years ago, so it was a strong line up I picked to not underestimate them. The hosts had clearly set up to sneak a 1-0, parking the proverbial bus, but the early loss of Ross Treleavan to injury disrupted them and we took full advantage thereafter.

Livings was played through by Bradbrook and easily skipped the attempted challenge of Dan Brathwaite before sliding into the bottom corner, and the two linked again to finally double the lead after a dominant period of play, Bradbrook releasing Livings down the right, before dashing into the box to finish the cross that followed.

By half time it probably could have been six or seven, we were truly cruising and only the woodwork and a decent performance from goalkeeper Rikki Banks kept the goal count down. There was time for one more though, Brathwaite barging Livings in the box to concede an injury time penalty, which Collins confidently hit into the top corner, sending Banks the wrong way in the process.

Another penalty brought a fourth midway through the second half, Kingsmill this time finding the net after Lee Burns had handballed at a corner. and Cleaver looked to have added a fifth moments later only for the linesman's flag to rule it out.

The hosts finally managed to salvage some pride and give the sizeable crowd something to cheer, pulling one back as the game entered its final ten minutes. Banks hit a long goal kick, which Fraser Logan headed on for Jay Lovett to score a beautiful first time volley from 20 yards.

Lewes 1 (Lovett 80) Concord Rangers 4 (Livings 17, Bradbrook 34, Collins pen 45, Kingsmill pen 69)

Man of the Match: Nathan Livings (Concord Rangers)

22/9/14

Back at FA HQ we were in the bowl for the next stage, and our opponents in the Third Qualifier would be fellow Skrill South promotion hopefuls Whitehawk.

28/9/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 131)

Concord Rangers vs Woking

Butler, Longden, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Stevenson (Kingsmill 80), Livings (Newton 80), Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins

Woking were new to the division after relegation last term, and hadn't taken to it incredibly well so far, struggling towards the lower end of the table. Nevertheless they were a strong side but in tricky, wet conditions neither of us could really find a rhythm.

Only one goal was needed to settle matters in the end and it came in amusing fashion. Livings teed up Stevenson from a free kick, whose 25 yard effort was heading some distance wide before Sheldon Sellaers inexplicably poked a boot onto it and deflected past Dexter Burt.

The visitors came closest to adding to the scoring, Butler helping himself to the man of the match award with a couple of decent saves late on, but a slow match ended with a lack of any real threat from either attack and was, to be honest, one of those matches that should probably end 0-0.

Concord Rangers 1 (Sellaers og 43) Woking 0

Man of the Match: Jamie Butler

30/9/14

Skrill South

Meadow Park, Borehamwood (Attendance: 165)

Boreham Wood vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Newton, Easterford (Noakes 59), Goodacre, Robinson, Cawley, Stevenson (Bradbrook 45), Livings, Kingsmill, Jarrett, Higgins

Having played only a couple of days previously it was a tired side cobbled together for the trip to Borehamwood, and it showed as the home side easily outplayed us to end our decent run of form.

We resisted the early pressure with Butler making a couple of good saves, but Graeme Montgomery finally beat the keeper with a cracking free kick from just outside the box to break the deadlock. Higgins came close to an equaliser, heading against the post from our solitary corner just before the break, but in truth that was as close as we came to netting, and when Shaun Jeffers tapped home Sammy Doolan's cross shortly after the break it was game over.

We did well to keep the score down to 2-0 from there and would be glad of the rest ahead of our cup match at the weekend.

Boreham Wood 2 (Montgomery 23, Jeffers 56) Concord Rangers 0

Man of the Match: Graeme Montgomery (Boreham Wood)

4/10/14

FA Cup Third Qualifying Round

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 261)

Concord Rangers vs Whitehawk

Butler, Longden, Easterford, Goodacre, Robinson, Cawley, Stevenson, Bossman, Bradbrook (Livings 53), Jarrett (Cleaver 53 (Kingsmill 69)) Higgins

Looking for knockout competition revenge after playoff defeat in May, we got off to a slow start against our rivals, paying the price when Danny Mills finished well to end a quick passing move. Fortunately we woke up sharpish and dominated the remainder of the first half, Josh James performing well in goal to keep his side in front before the eventual leveller came ten minutes before the interval. Bossman's corner was headed away by Taylor Parmenter, only for Stevenson to find space lurking outside the box and lash into the corner.

Having had the best of the previous half hour, it was disappointing to throw the game away early in the second half. Mills had a strike ruled out for offside with a minute or so played, but we didn't heed the warning and Theo Lewis found the top corner from 20 yards after Abdul Said's through ball disected the defence. Lewis then turned provider, setting up Mills for a second and the 3-1 lead with only seven minutes of the half played, and despite us again going on to have the better of the match, we couldn't find a way back in.

Cleaver, himself a substitute shortly after the third goal, was forced off injured a quarter of an hour later resulting in a change of shape and thereafter we provided little threat as the visitors moved within one round of the proper competition.

Concord Rangers 1 (Stevenson 35) Whitehawk 3 (Mills 18, 52, Lewis 48)

Man of the Match: Danny Mills (Whitehawk)

Cleaver had suffered a gashed leg, and the forward will likely be looking at a return early next month.

11/10/14

Skrill South

Twerton Park, Bath (Attendance: 363)

Bath City vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Longden (Newton 77), Easterford, Goodacre, Robinson, Cawley, Stevenson (Kingsmill 71), Bossman, Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins

Looking to get back into winning ways we started brightly, having the better of possession during the early exchanges and Damir Salcin was regularly called into action, making an particularly great save to deny Higgins a 30 yard strike. The home keeper denied Higgins twice more with a quick double save in a scramble following a free kick and it kind of felt like becoming one of those days.

Sure enough, as the first half wore on Bath saw more of the ball and with the first attack of any substance brought a corner. Dan Ball's cross from there was weak and should have been cleared but poor defending allowed John Winter to find the net for the opener. We finally managed to beat Salcin shortly after, Bradbrook's movement at the edge of the box drawing the defenders out of position, allowing his pass to find Higgins unmarked to beat the keeper from close range.

The second half was a calmer affair as we struggled to attack as fluently as we had in the first, only really registering a couple of hopeful long shots which posed little threat, and it was no major suprise when the hosts moved in front with what would prove to be the winner. Winter and Ball once again linked up well out on the left, finding Thomas Vallis at the edge of the area. His shot was palmed away but Taiwo Atieno moved quicker than Goodacre to reach the loose ball and beat the stranded Butler.

Bath City 2 (Winter 33, Atieno 69) Concord Rangers 1 (Higgins 40)

Man of the Match: Dan Ball (Bath City)

Further bad news came in Kurt Robinson struggling through the last few minutes after pulling up attempting a run, and he'll miss the next month as well.

21/10/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 87)

Concord Rangers vs Whitehawk

Butler, Longden, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley (Kingsmill 68), Stevenson, Bossman, Bradbrook (O'Callaghan 37), Jarrett, Higgins

A chance for swift revenge over our FA Cup conquerors, but it looked like another struggle as the visitors were by far quickest out of the blocks. Much of the first half was spent at our end of the pitch and only wayward finishing and an excellent performance from Butler kept the scores level. Bradbrook then proceeded to join the injured list, picking up a thigh strain as we approached half time to ensure he'd also have a month off.

We'd have to wait until the stroke of half time to register a shot on target, but we made the most of it. Matthew Bulman's goal kick was headed clear by Easterford, reaching substitute O'Callaghan. The Irishman quickly turned Callum Reynolds to move through on goal and although his first shot was stopped, he remained alert to follow through and tap in the rebound.

The vitally timed goal didn't really alter the match after the break, with Whitehawk still enjoying much of the play, but we doubled the lead with one of our few second half attacks. Jarrett made a quick break down the left, finding Higgins with an excellent long pass and the striker managed to race clear of the defence and fire in low from just inside the box. Whitehawk continued to create chances, but the strikers that had been pretty ruthless with us in other meetings had a rare off day in front of goal, and Butler was solid as a rock when anything was on target.

Concord Rangers 2 (O'Callaghan 45, Higgins 53) Whitehawk 0

Man of the Match: Jamie Butler (Concord Rangers)

25/10/14

Skrill South

Crabble Athletic Ground, Dover (Attendance: 438)

Dover Athletic vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Newton, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Stevenson (Kingsmill 81), Bossman (O'Callaghan 27), Livings, Jarrett, Higgins (Langham 82)

Our form continued to leave something to be desired on the trip into Kent as we appeared to leave our attacking threat at home once more. The first half here was a dull affair, producing little in the way of chances at either end.

The second half went on in a similar manner, and the deadlock was only broken from twelve yards in the end. O'Callaghan jumped for a Collins throw-in, ending up on the floor under Scott Garner's challenge. Stevenson stepped forward to calmly find the bottom corner of Mitch Walker's goal and it looked like that would be that.

Typically though we refused to hold on, and with the match nearing it's conclusion, Joseph Maloney found Tyrone Sterling in space. His shot from outside the box was saved, but not caught, and Nic Cialdini dashed in to tap in the leveller.

Dover Athletic 1 (Cialdini 87) Concord Rangers 1 (Stevenson pen 61)

Man of the Match: James Stevenson

27/10/14

It was a handful of eyes on FA HQ once more, with the draw for the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy. We were handed a seemingly routine visit to fellow Essex side Brentwood, of the 8th tier Isthmian First Division.

In transfer news, we raised a few eyebrows with a free transfer signing. 41 year old Netherlands legend Edgar Davids joins as a player-coach. Boasting hundreds of appearances for some of Europe's biggest clubs, 74 international caps and a crowded trophy cabinet, the veteran midfielder most recently had a spell as player-manager at Barnet - leading the north London side back into the Football League as Skrill Premier champions last season before leaving at the end of his contract over the summer.

28/10/14

Skrill South

Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea (Attendance: 110)

Concord Rangers vs Eastbourne Borough

Butler, Longden, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Stevenson (Davids 78), Bossman, Livings (Newton 78), Jarrett (Cleaver 63), Higgins

Our final game at Roots Hall before returning to Canvey Island brought an eventful match, or at least an eventful second half. Table topping Eastbourne pressed well in the first half, with former Beach Boy Tony Stokes proving a thorn in our side as he put in a good shift behind the front two.

After the break we had a few good chances early on but failed to trouble Will Vassell, Bossman in particular firing wide when through on goal, and we paid the price before long as Chris Shepherd's corner saw a header cleared off the line by Bossman, but the resulting scramble around the goalmouth finished with Tom Beere firing into the roof of the net to open the scoring. A similar occurence brought the equaliser soon after, with Jarrett's corning poorly headed clear and Cawley hitting a powerful shot somehow through the crowded area to level.

Tony Stokes had been a menace all night, and the former Concord hero grabbed his reward with a superb free kick from 25 yards to put the visitors back in front. Edgar Davids was given the slightly humbling moment of coming on as a late sub in front of 100-odd people, but the Dutchman quickly proved he's still got the talent as he latched onto a long throw from Collins and beat Vassell from just inside the area to ensure we'd gain a point against our fellow promotion contenders.

Concord Rangers 2 (Cawley 59, Davids 85) Eastbourne Borough 2 (Beere 53, Stokes 67)

Man of the Match: Tony Stokes (Eastbourne Borough)

7/11/14

Our home at The Aspect Arena had completed it's redevelopment, and now boasted 410 seats and a capacity of 3,000. Meanwhile defender Joe Noakes prematurely ended his loan spell with us after failing to break into the team and returned to the south coast at Havant & Waterlooville.

8/11/14

Skrill South

Court Place Farm, Oxford (Attendance: 133)

Oxford City vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Longden (White 28), Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Stevenson, Bossman, O'Callaghan (Davids 67), Jarrett, Higgins

Oxford were struggling at the foot of the table and finally we put in a real performance to blow away the relegation candidates. Almost immediately we were on the front foot, almost going in front within three minutes when Bossman's wayward cross looped onto the crossbar very nearly leaving keeper Mark Scott red-faced.

Bossman however did register his first of the season soon after though, in more traditional fashion, as a quick move through the centre of the pitch found Higgins, who flicked the ball into the wingers path to squeeze inside the near post from a tight angle. The woodwork was needed twice more during the first half, which made a few regulars slightly nervous that we'd stutter to another draw, but O'Callaghan found the top corner from outside the box just before half time to calm those fears.

Directly from the second half kick off, Bagasan Graham broke forward and passed through to Filipe Barcelos who neatly placed past Butler to suggest a fightback, but O'Callaghan tapped in a second to restore the two-goal lead, before Higgins grabbed a brace of close range finishes to put the result well beyond any doubt and take himself past 15 goals for the season. Graham and Barcelos linked well again with a one two, beating Butler in the final minute once more, but even their consolation was scrubbed off by an offside flag.

Oxford City 1 (Barcelos 46) Concord Rangers 5 (Bossman 15, O'Callaghan 43, 57, Higgins 73, 82)

With a third of the league season behind us, it was tight up the top. Just a point separated the top five at this stage. Tonbridge Angels topped the table with 28 points, ahead of Hampton & Richmond on goal difference. We were just behind in third place, level on 27 points with Boreham Wood & Eastbourne.

11/11/14

Skrill South

The Aspect Arena, Canvey Island (Attendance: 197)

Concord Rangers vs Basingstoke Town

Butler, Newton, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Stevenson (Kingsmill 67), Bossman, Davids, Jarrett (Livings 72), Higgins

Our return to home turf saw a lively start, with both goalkeepers called into good form in the first half. Higgins and Collins both brought the best out of Stuart Searle, while Wes Daly rattled the woodwork for the visitors.

It wasn't until after the break however that we saw any goals, but we ended up with three coming along at once. Higgins broke down the flank, playing the ball across to Jarrett whose low cross into the box was tapped in by Davids for his second goal at the club. Minutes later it was Davids who sent in a dangerous low cross, and Robbie Matthews hoofed the attempted clearance straight into Higgins who added to his tally with an unintended goal.

The two goal lead lasted less than a minute, with Scott Shulton setting up Simon Dunn for a cracking finish from 20 yards. It looked as though we'd hang on for all the points as the tempo faded late on, but with a couple of minutes to play Dunn floated a cross over, which Joel Ledgister headed past Butler, who really could and should have saved the effort.

Concord Rangers 2 (Davids 57, Higgins 61) Basingstoke Town 2 (Dunn 62, Ledgister 88)

Man of the Match: Simon Dunn (Basingstoke Town)

15/11/14

FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round

Brentwood Centre, Brentwood (Attendance: 181)

Brentwood Town vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Robinson, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley (Kingsmill 83), Stevenson, Bossman, Livings (Bradbrook 83), Jarrett, Higgins

Lowly Brentwood looked set to pose minimal threat to our progress in the trophy, and it took just 40 seconds for us to get in front. Wingers Bossman and Jarrett linked well with a one-two to burst forward quickly and the former found the net with a neat finish from 15 yards. Bossman made it two ten minutes later, Collins working down the left before a great pass across the pitch that was well finished.

The hosts pulled one back as we approached half time with their first attack of the game, John Paul Hemmings hammering home Russell Burke's low cross, but they'd barely finished celebrating by the time we'd restored the two goal advantage. Bossman was again on form, breaking down the wing before crossing well for Higgins to head in at the near post.

Another quick blast of goals came midway through the second half, Livings played the ball out to Jarrett, who crossed for Livings to volley home from the penalty spot and extend the lead, but Brentwood had another back a minute later as Ayrton Pecora made a quick break from midfield, beating Goodacre's challenge and firing past Butler. The job was done though and late substitute Bradbrook added some gloss to the scoreline after sharing a one-two with star man Bossman.

Brentwood Town (Hemmings 42, Pecora 68) Concord Rangers 5 (Bossman 1, 11, Higgins 43, Livings 67, Bradbrook 90)

Man of the Match: Kelvin Bossman (Concord Rangers)

A few days later we were handed a First Round tie at Bognor Regis of the division below. The South Coast side eventually overcame Folkestone 1-0 in a home replay after a 1-1 draw first time round.

22/11/14

Skrill South

The Aspect Arena, Canvey Island (Attendance: 227)

Concord Rangers vs Welling United

Butler, Newton, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins (Robinson 54), Cawley, Stevenson (Davids 74), Bossman (O'Callaghan 74), Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins

After finding the net regularly at Brentwood we were eager to continue in a similar fashion, and Higgins was as ever lively from the start, forcing Matt Cooper into an impressive first half performance.

The visitors had the ball in the net first though, Danil Nwgala tapping in Liam Swallow's cross, however the forward had moved just a little quickly and found his goal ruled offside. It served as a sign of things to come in the latter stages of the first half though, and moments before the interval Souleyman Mohamed lofted a free kick into the danger zone. Butler's attempted punch left plenty to be desired, and as Cawley jumped with Josh Dickens the ball ended up in the net off of the Concord midfielder.

The second half saw us more solid at the back and while the pace slowed a touch, we had by far the better of the chances. It only took a few minutes to level the scoring, with Bradbrook and Bossman linking well to allow the former to fire past Cooper. They came together well again shortly after, Bradbrook this time flicking on to Jarrett to tap us into the lead, but once more the linesman's flag came into play and we ended having to settle for one apiece.

Concord Rangers 1 (Bradbrook 49) Welling United 1 (Cawley og 45)

Man of the Match: Elliot Bradbrook (Concord Rangers)

29/11/14

FA Trophy First Round

Nyewood Lane, Bognor Regis (Attendance: 222)

Bognor Regis Town vs Concord Rangers

Butler, Newton, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Stevenson, Bossman (O'Callaghan 39), Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins (Cleaver 43)

A strange match looked set to be a classic, but if you missed the first ten minutes all you'd have seen was the dullest of goalless draws.

Harry Ottaway set up Sam Cole to tap the Isthmian Premier side into a suprise lead, which lasted merely 90 seconds before a good passing move around midfield finished with Jarrett dashing clear on the left, to fire into the far corner from the edge of the box.

A solid defensive performance on both sides restricted the majority of attacks to no more than half chances, and our hopes were further compromised by the loss before the break of both Bossman and Higgins to the physio room - however both would be minor niggles, and should be fit to return to the side for the replay midweek.

Bognor Regis Town 1 (Cole 4) Concord Rangers 1 (Jarrett 6)

Man of the Match: Paul Goodacre (Concord Rangers)

Should we come through the replay on Wednesday, Skrill South rivals Boreham Wood await our visit in the Second Round.

3/12/14

FA Trophy First Round Replay

The Aspect Arena, Canvey Island (Attendance: 123)

Concord Rangers vs Bognor Regis Town

Butler, Newton, Easterford, Goodacre, Collins, Cawley, Davids (O'Callaghan 71), Bossman, Bradbrook, Jarrett, Higgins

Once more our match against the south coast side saw a lively start, but this time it was only us that were attacking early. Tim Sandercombe was beaten within 3 minutes, only for the crossbar to deny Easterford the opener as he headed Jarrett's corner goalbound.

The defender did get his name on the scoresheet soon after though. Another Jarrett corner was played deep to Bossman at the edge of the box. His shot was heading several yards wide until Easterford managed to stick out a boot to put it beyond the keeper. Disappointingly we struggled to create many more clear chances despite dominating, only a couple of good saves forced from Sandercombe by Higgins late in the first half.

The longer the match went on at one-nil, the more dangerous it became from our point of view - and sure enough we were hit as the match moved into the last twenty minutes. A quick break from Laurent Morris led to a cross from Robbie Booth which Rory Williams converted to level the match. We were hanging on by a thread but it looked like heading into extra time, right up until the final minute of injury time when Booth and Williams again linked well, with the latter firing into the bet from the edge of the box.

Concord Rangers 1 (Easterford 16) Bognor Regis Town 2 (Williams 71, 90)

Man of the Match: Rory Williams (Bognor Regis Town)

Archived