Wages demands in the future

I have been reading the released wage breakdown for Serie A wages and it got me thinking.

The Premier League is becoming increasingly out of step with the rest of Europe when it comes to money. That's not news to anyone.

But reading that De Rossi Is Serie A's highest earner on £100,000 shocked me quite a bit. The league is certainly in a period of austerity. And I imagine there have been players, Zlatan perhaps, who earned over that mark. but could there be problems?

Yes other factors remain, club and current reputation, but could we see scenarios where a club such as Newcastle have a few good seasons allowing you to buy El Shaarawy and Vidal. Transfer fees permitting.

Or the other way. Ashley Cole has taken a drop in wages of nearly £90,000. I truly can't imagine a player doing this in game. Yes older players renegotiate contracts but not to this level.

A Borini or Giaccherini could now never move back to Serie A on the same wages, but on FM they would likely expect something similar.

I think given it's existing cache and reputation, Serie A is almost an anomaly and more extreme example to illustrate my point but other nations do still compare poorly with reports of QPR paying more than Dortmund or A.Madrid

Players (legitimately) ask for wage increases as a club grows from also rans to contenders. But the benchmarks perhaps need to be looked as this aspect of the game less accurately reflects player demands.

Is player AI a bit deeper than always asking for a wage increase?

Well you can allready see it happening in lower rated leagues. About 10 years ago most top players in holland/eredivisie would go to top clubs abroad. Now we hardly ever transfer a player to a top club (blind to Man Utd is the exception, but that is due to Van Gaal being their coach). All great eredivisie players go to teams like Aston Villa, Porto, Swansea, Lazio, Newcastle and Sevilla. It's not unthinkable that the same will happen in the Serie A. You now see the best players go to Top Clubs in the BPL, but i can see El Shaarawy going to Newcastle in the future. I mean, Money is Money. And in the BPL mediocre and lower table teams have transfer budgets of the same level of Juventus en Roma.

Team in the Serie A and BBVA are also getting more creative in scouting. They used to scout mostly in their own country or neighbouring countries. Now they send scouts all over the world. 20 years ago PSV and Ajax were one of the few teams scouting in brazil. Back then it was possible to find and buy players like Romario and Ronaldo (st). Now Brazilian talent has become so expensive that PSV and Ajax moved away and are now scouting Scandinavia and countries like Uruguay, Mexico.

I personally feel that the in game wage demands of mediocre players is to high. I often try to buy transfer listed players that havent played a single game for 1,5 year at thear club, but they refuse to lower their demands.

Archived