Unrealistic Sackings?

I'm not sure if maybe I'm looking at this a little too harshly, or whether others agree.

My most recent example, managing QPR, I got them promoted from the Championship, and managed to assemble a good squad. In my first season in the Premier League, having told the board I would attain a respectable league position, I got as high as 4th in the league, but sat around 8th for most of the season. I hit a bit of bad form (more a case of having difficult away games vs the big teams with injuries) and dropped to 10th. I got sacked!

My point is, whilst I understand that in the modern game managers do get sacked after 5 bad results, I don't think the FMH engine takes into consideration the fact that I had driven this team up to 10th from being in the Championship. 10th is a respectable league position and therefore the only reason I have been sacked is based on my last few results, losing and drawing for about 5 games. Very harsh in my opinion, does anybody else have views on this?

• SI Staff

It might be a bit harsh and if you want me to look at the save then I'm happy to (my email is marc.vaughan@sigames.com) ... HOWEVER that being said QPR are an ambitious club with strong finances and have a reputation for impatience ... so its not wholly impossible ...

PS - FMH does take into account prior performance if you're a long-term manager at a club, however if you've only been there a couple of seasons it doesn't have as much effect as if you've been there 5+ years etc. ... its also worth considering that your performance taking them up was the 'expected' result from the board, that is if you hadn't you'd have been sacked (so your reward for that achievement was keeping your job pretty much I'm afraid).

• 3 weeks later...

I think overall the sacking system is pretty fair but you always get the odd harsh one. What surprised me recently was a run with Barcelona where I wasn't sacked when I should have been. In my first season in a new save, I came a poor second to Real Madrid and got to the Champs League semi. A new Barca manager only managing that would be quickly sacked in real life. For the next two seasons I came about 3rd/4th and out by the QFs of the Champs League. It was only after a poor run of results in my fourth season that I actually got a long overdue sacking. I was surprised about the generosity of the board.

• 2 weeks later...
It might be a bit harsh and if you want me to look at the save then I'm happy to (my email is marc.vaughan@sigames.com) ... HOWEVER that being said QPR are an ambitious club with strong finances and have a reputation for impatience ... so its not wholly impossible ...

PS - FMH does take into account prior performance if you're a long-term manager at a club, however if you've only been there a couple of seasons it doesn't have as much effect as if you've been there 5+ years etc. ... its also worth considering that your performance taking them up was the 'expected' result from the board, that is if you hadn't you'd have been sacked (so your reward for that achievement was keeping your job pretty much I'm afraid).

The visible board confidence seems to essentially reset each season, so I take it the recognition of your long service is conducted "behind the scenes"?

It might be somewhat less rage-inducing if that was communicated to the user - a message along the lines that they're disappointed with the current performance but prepared to give you a chance because of your fine service/past achievements with the club.

I'm not convinced it gives sufficient credit, though.

I started with Hereford in the Skrill Premier League in 14/15 and made it to the EPL by 29/30, and was sacked after just 17 games (3 wins, 4 draws and 10 losses - not even in the relegation zone). Very nearly threw my iPad into a wall.

It used to be easier in past versions of FM (going back a decade or so) - I've bounced back down from a promotion more than once without being sacked.

Archived