STOP moaning about 3D! And well done SI - Looks fantastic.

LJS

Oh my god, NooooOoooooo!!! I already pre-ordered FML and now I have to buy FM09 too? :( Money-sucking bastards, what will they come up with next for me to buy! :p

On a serious note, very happy about the 3d...Worst case scenario, i'll turn it back to 2d and they'll improve on the 3d engine in the future with more animations/etc. Gotta start somewhere...

My only dissapointment is the addition of female managers...do we see female managers in real life...no? So why add them in the game? Does this feature benefit me?...No. Is it going to be useful to me during the game?...No. This addition spoils the realism in my opinion.

Me thinks your just worried that your missus will take over, hog the computer and beat you :D

Lets put the 3D engine into context. FM is not the first football management game to have a 3D match engine. In fact, it is the last game to have a 3D engine - they're 6-10 years behind everyone else. You could say that they are incorporating what is good and avoiding what is bad about the previous games. The engine looks good, but it doesn't look fantastic. I mean theres plenty of games that look better. However, the main point is to have a realistic engine - that is what i am looking for.

Lets put the 3D engine into context. FM is not the first football management game to have a 3D match engine. In fact, it is the last game to have a 3D engine - they're 6-10 years behind everyone else. You could say that they are incorporating what is good and avoiding what is bad about the previous games. The engine looks good, but it doesn't look fantastic. I mean theres plenty of games that look better. However, the main point is to have a realistic engine - that is what i am looking for.

Miles did say it was only 50% complete, though, so it may look better when the game is released.

• SI Staff

There may be a little bit of confusion here. The "engine" behind it all is the same as what we have had before and has been improved via a lot of testing using, for example, FM Live over the past year or so. The 3D is an extra view that you can now use which uses the same "engine". The 2D as before is still available and you can even switch between the two of them.

There may be a little bit of confusion here. The "engine" behind it all is the same as what we have had before and has been improved via a lot of testing using, for example, FM Live over the past year or so. The 3D is an extra view that you can now use which uses the same "engine". The 2D as before is still available and you can even switch between the two of them.

To add to Ter's comment, the ME has gone through massive amounts of testing over the last year via the FML Beta. It is considerably more robust than it ever has been before. What the 3D is doing is just representing the same engine via a new graphical interface. It will play exactly the same as the 2D. The only issue is the realism of the player movements. We will have to wait to see more than just screenshots to determine how successful this has been graphically represented.

I think the overwhelming consensus of the forums has been: "we want 3d implemented sometime, but when it is - we want it to be classy".

I think a lot of judgment will be forked out on this 3d match engine in particular - being the first one. After reading through the forums, I formed the view that the 3d match engine was coming, just not yet. However, SI have taken a punt, and good on them.

In saying that, it better be good.. :D

My only dissapointment is the addition of female managers...do we see female managers in real life...no? So why add them in the game? Does this feature benefit me?...No. Is it going to be useful to me during the game?...No. This addition spoils the realism in my opinion.

I'm female and I've wanted this for ages. It's only fair that it should be included.

I'm talking about being a manager...I thought this game was supposed to be about realism, how can a female be a manager? I bet you if a woman in real life was a manager in the premier league she would get laughed at and judged etc, there are many more issues to this. I have nothing against women but I do like to keep the realism.

I think you are being a bit ignorant here mate...Yes females are involved in football. Females all play Football Manager believe it are not and it's just giving them a option to reflect this in the game...This does not effect you at all so why are you so upset about it...If it is a question of realism would Real Madrid really hire a 15 year old kid with no football back ground on football as there manager?. Came on mate get a grip.

I think you are being a bit ignorant here mate...Yes females are involved in football. Females all play Football Manager believe it are not and it's just giving them a option to reflect this in the game...This does not effect you at all so why are you so upset about it...If it is a question of realism would Real Madrid really hire a 15 year old kid with no football back ground on football as there manager?. Came on mate get a grip.

I think he thinks that there will be newgen female managers in the game.

Moaners will never be happy with anything. They should all go to Uni and become programmers etc and program there own games. The makers will do what they like. They kept the 2D engine specifically for the moaners. 90% of the people that dont mind the 3D engine will still use the 2D at some point anyway if there computer cant hack it. The issue is that they think the producers are selling out. But hey you cant please everyone. Its only a minority that complain for no reason.

I cant believe the issue about female managers is even being debated in this day in age. Get with the times please. Stay out of the caves

Its not compulsory to be a female manager, if you dont want to use it, just bloody well dont

I'm delighted to see the 'female' feature. I've recently used the editor to create a team and put my wife as chairman and sisters-in-law as directors. I'm very happy to see that their genders will be accurately represented when I do this in FM09.

For the majority who don't use the editor, i can't see how the feature would intrude on your experience.

I was against a 3d engine and only having internet at work haven't had a chance to do more than glance very quickly at the screenshots, but I'll reserve judgement until it is out. Since I play on a laptop with 256MB RAM and something like 1.2 GHz processor though I think 3d will be too much for that to handle - it already shakes with fear when I ask it to do FM08!

My main objections to 3d were simply that it was unnecessary (I'm more than happy to be convinced otherwise by FM09), has been crap in all other football games I've seen (albeit they were a while back now so again I'm willing to be convinced on that), it will cause my laptop to konk out (well, I guess I'll be looking to buy a new laptop at some point anyway, but I wasn't planning to just yet...) and that obviously it would take SI a lot of programming time, time which I assume would otherwise have been spent on improving other areas of the game (again, I'll reserve judgement on that until I play FM09) so all these things could well be turned round when I actually play the game!

The key point for me is, will my computer be able to run and cope with 3D, from a system requirements perspective.

Have we been given any guidance or system spec, required to run the 3D Match Engine?

Thanks

Specs will be very low. The new ME isn't exactly next gen!

I'm anti-3d at the moment, although I'll give it a go. I just don't see how it can improve the game. It seems to be deviating more toward trying to replicate reality (which is impossible), rather than leaving a lot to the imagination, which is one of the FM's great strengths.

Archived