The Reactive Manager - How do you play the AI at its own game?

Hello everyone and welcome to my first thread!

I posted the bulk of this post elsewhere and felt kind of pleased enough with it thinking that it may be enough for a thread of its own. You'll be the judge of that of course.

It concerns how I set my team up to combat the AI before I hit the big green Start Game button.

I'm still playing a Southampton save in FM13, but I'm sure that plenty of this post will be applicable to FM14 as well.

I hope that any experienced mod doesn't read this and tear it to pieces and break down my way of playing the game, but something I'm paying more and more attention to from game to game is the opposition formation and managers tab.

My basic FM13 Rigid Counter shape from left to right is currently:

GKd

SWd

CDd, CDd

WBs, DLPd, WBa (WBs RFD & TTB sometimes)

CMa, BWMs

APa (Roam & MIC)

CFa

I also have the same set-up saved in a mirror image (WBa, DLPd, WBs etc)

The shape of the team does not change from game to game, but team instructions, roles and duties do depending upon the set-up of the opposition.

PI's are default unless indicated.

In the three allowed tactical spaces I have the same shape using different team instructions:

Balanced - everything default except for zonal marking

Stand-off - more direct passing, stand off more, zonal marking, stick to position

Push Higher - shorter passing, more expressive, press more, zonal marking, more roaming

Minor adjustments are made for roles and duites as well:

Balanced - as above

Stand-off - BWM changed to BBM, APa MIC removed

Push Higher - DC's changed to BPD's, DLPd changed to Anchor Man, BWM changed to DLPs, CFa changed to DFa

I also have three different base groups of shouts to apply:

vs Mixed Opponent - drop deeper, work ball into the box

vs Cautious Opponent - drop deeper, pass to feet, run at defence, work ball into box, retain possession

vs Attacking Opponent - drop deeper, pass into space, work ball into box, get ball forward (sometimes)

The decision about which set-up and shouts are used is taken from the opposition managers tab using the goals tab (e.g. I use a WBa on my left hand side if they concede more on their right hand side) and their pressing style and playing mentality (e.g. they like to close down, I stand-off, they like to attack so I use my vs attacking opponent shouts)

The final changes I make are purely down to the opposition formation:

Doesn't use an AMC - change my DMC to a support duty (unless using push higher set-up)

Uses a DMC - change STR to DFs to disrupt DMC distribution

Uses a single striker formation - 1 x DC change to stopper on attacking WB side

I will also consider adding Exploit the Middle & Play Wider or Exploit the Flanks & Play Narrower to give some more attacking mentality to my players in my opponents weakest areas if I am in need of a goal

So, there you go, that's how I play the game to try and avoid using a single set-up and the traps that the AI opponent will have in store for it...

I'll end this ramble by just saying a BIG THANK YOU to Cleon, RTHerringbone, Llama, Naks, Handof God, TomTuck01 for all the little bits and pieces I've pulled from their numerous threads and replies to help me set-up my game and helping to keep it fresh - now in the 2109/10 season!

Archived