tactical help please.

hi folks im hoping that with your collective minds i can finally learn how to play the game.

im starting a new save with man united using LFCs latest update file.

the base tactic im going for is 442 with a slight modification to utilise the better players in the squad.

6achbKR.png

jLTKLge.png

the idea behind the tactic is not necessarily control the game but to take advantage of the attacking force that the current united team has.

i dont want to over complicate things so i have kept the team instructions to a minimum(subject to change of course depending on suggestions). have gone for a higher tempo to hopefully catch the opp of guard and exploit any weakness that they possess.(unsure if i should keep these for tough/away games) also gone for exploit the flanks as i believe thats where uniteds strengths lie.

left the rest untouched so the players can use there own judgement as and when.

GK- standard settings.

FBsupport- winger is on a support duty but with his PIs i dont want the FB wandering too far forward. so this is really for defensive reasons.

LD- simply to clear the ball immediately hopefully minimizing any imminent danger.

CD- cover duty to help clear up any through balls plus added cover incase my LD fails in his task!.

WBattack- to simply attack the right wing supplying crosses for the forwards.

DM defend- positioned above the CDcover position to aid the defence and offer some defensive cover for the marauding CWB.

BBM- support duty to hopefully cover more ground. and assist in either defence or attack.

IF- right sided on attack duty to bomb forward and attack the space the DLF creates.

W- support duty for the simple reason to supply crosses to the front 2.

DLF- attack duty. want this chap to wander around and cause unrest fot the oppo defenders to hopefully create room for the IF and Poacher to run in too. im unsure whether attack duty or support duty would be better?

P- simply to score goals!

(some screen shots of the player instructions)

zTCYL6f.png

ZOffjyl.png

have tried to keep it simple as im no alex ferguson!

i just hope this works or at least makes sense to some of you more experienced players.

just a quick note, the SS of the tactic is also my preferred starting 11. its a tough desicion who starts in the IF role (mata/di maria) but di maria just wins for the simple fact hes a new signing. also looking to replace fellaini with a proper DM. thinking nigel de jong or claudio yacob?

i understand its a bit of a ramble but appreciate your time to read it.

I use a 4-3-1-2 formation on Manchester United last update.

Luke Shaw (LD) - CWB

Rafael (RD) - CWB

Evans and Jones - CB(D)

Carrick (MC) - DLP(S)

Herrera (MC) - AP(A)

Fellani (MC) - BWM(S)

Mata (AMC) - Trequartista

Wayne Rooney (ST) - CF

Van Persie (ST) - CF

After 12 Premier League games, 10 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. 2nd place 1 point from Chelsea.

Manchester United doesn't have decent backup to Rafael, hire Montoya from Barcelona. There isn't also backup to Carrick for DLP role, also hire a player for that role.

Tactics

Mentality control, fluidity Balanced.

Teams Instructions

Short Passing, Playout Defence, Tight Marking, Work Ball in Box and Play Wider.

^ I don't think the OP is looking for a totally different tactic to copy...I may be wrong.

Your flanks are imbalanced with two support duties on the left and two attack duties on the right. Of course with exploit the flanks TI I'm pretty sure both flanks will now be very attacking regardless. Personally I would drop that TI and have one attacking player and one support player on each flank. You could use the "Play Wider" shout which would channel play out wide, although changing mentality to control would raise the tempo and width automatically, as well as the defensive line though which you may not want.

This tactic seems very vulnerable defensively. Your flanks will be very attacking meanwhile your central midfield only has the one holding player who is sat back, and thus conceding a lot of space. Herrera will be mobile and making forward runs, thus leaving a lot of room in the center of the pitch for the opposition. Consider changing his role to CM(S) for more stability.

For DM I'd look at Victor Wanyama from Southampton, or Diego Reyes from FCP as a young player with a lot of potential. I do prefer taller midfield players however to win headers in midfield and provide quality threat/defense on set pieces.

^ I don't think the OP is looking for a totally different tactic to copy...I may be wrong.

Your flanks are imbalanced with two support duties on the left and two attack duties on the right. Of course with exploit the flanks TI I'm pretty sure both flanks will now be very attacking regardless. Personally I would drop that TI and have one attacking player and one support player on each flank. You could use the "Play Wider" shout which would channel play out wide, although changing mentality to control would raise the tempo and width automatically, as well as the defensive line though which you may not want.

This tactic seems very vulnerable defensively. Your flanks will be very attacking meanwhile your central midfield only has the one holding player who is sat back, and thus conceding a lot of space. Herrera will be mobile and making forward runs, thus leaving a lot of room in the center of the pitch for the opposition. Consider changing his role to CM(S) for more stability.

For DM I'd look at Victor Wanyama from Southampton, or Diego Reyes from FCP as a young player with a lot of potential. I do prefer taller midfield players however to win headers in midfield and provide quality threat/defense on set pieces.

good observations! thats why im no goo dat this game lol!!

would be better then if i brought the WB back to traditional slot as a FB and place the full back in the WB role?im still playing my friendlies so its hard to grasp how it plays.

i bought s bender as my replacement DM as yacob opted for napoli.

will change the bbm to a cm. would a DLP be a better option?

just played my first game of the season away at newcastle. i made the changes as suggested above and won 1-0.

heat map as shown

vpyZkUZ.png

i cant help but think the DLF is probably a little too deep as the poacher is very isolated. only first game so shall leave it as it is for now but thinking and attack duty would be better for him?

How about changing RVP from a poacher to a complete forward? The man is way too gifted a footballer to be limiting him to the poacher role. I think if you did that then you wouldn't have to worry about him being isolated.

Imo I think it's fine for Rooney to be dropping deep. It gives your CM another passing option.

next game home v everton. 1-1 draw. they scored from a penalty.

x14kIQH.png

VYPa11A.png

19 shots from me isnt too bad i think? im hoping as the tactic gells they will convert more. however 4ccs from there 8 shots is alot better. next game home v bolton.

changes made. CM to DLP support DM to Anchor man. DLF support to attacking. fingers crossed!

1-1 draw winning on pens.

2SCAA7O.png

AOykCN3.png

well as you can see. the tactic that i thought would be good in my head is not so good on paper!!

i was hoping for some exciting wing play but with crossing a lowly 6% success rating. its not happening. FM gods rain down upon me............please!

I think you just need to be a bit more composed and not dive into just changing things. As much as anything, it will have a Tactic Familiarit hit if you change shape and / or Team Instructions often.

Based on the image above, ask yourself:

1. Why are all my Attack Duties generally on the right hand side?

2. Does Montoya being that close to Mata serve a purpose?

3. Is Fletcher getting overrun in the middle? Watch the relationship between him, Bender and Herrera

4. What is Mata's purpose in this system? What do you want him to contribute?

cheers for the reply.

i have no idea really why its more attacking on the right. its just happened?? i think fletcher is getting over run but im not sure how to help him out? i have my DM but it still happens? the idea if thats what it is, behind the mata montoya position is mata to stay where he is and constanlty put crosses in and for montoya to run ahead of him.

Archived