Broke

Has any1 got any ideas about how I can make FM use less "space"(i think) on my computer. its quite old and after a few seasons the hard drive or graphics csard tends to melt (literally) cos its overloaded. Like I say what can I do in game to stop this happening? thanks in advance for any help.

To use less space on your hard drive, delete unwanted saved games, unwanted databases, unwanted custom graphics and so on. Also compress saved games in options. I am not sure if that is what you mean and it would be easier if you said the exact problem.

What is the size of your hard drive? Even back several years ago, HDDs came in decent sizes that would support a lot of data, even for games. It all depends on how big your hard drive is of course. I would be surprised that it's your hard drive space that is the problem, but something rather within Windows, as in a software problem.

I will play for a while get to about 2012 and the game will freeze so I turn off the computer and it won't turn on againsaying some file has disappeared. Then I will spend a couple of hundred quid fixing it.

The next time it happens make a note of the file name as it's the only way you'll figure out what the issue is. Alternatively as Neji said repair your Windows installation and see if that helps.

With regards to the hard drive overheating defragment the drive that FM stores it's cache folder, usually C:, to stop the temp files FM writes to being fragmented. The same applies to the page file as FM uses a decent chunk of virtual memory. Also clean out the vents and fans on your machine to keep the cooling system running smoothly.

I am sorry at my ignorance I know very little about computers. I have lost the note with the file name on. I think it was DLAL something. I never use more leagues or compertitions than I will use so the computer won't be stretched and I clean the fans etc regularly. I think it is 4GB. I apologise sincerely for my lack of specifics, thanks for the help.

Try a Windows re-installation you should have the licensed disk if not then start slowly hiding from Mr Gates!

sounds like a sistem error cos if it was overloaded (hard drive) then you just couldn't continue, no hard disk automatically deletes data, it will suggest you do so.

the file name was ams pnp.sis

Tried every combination on google but no hits so my best guess would be the file name was isapnp.sys assuming you are on XP.

I've had to do the following procedure a few times and never had an issue but I'm far from an expert so I don't know if it can have negative consequences (my gut says no with computers you never know). My usual disclaimer with offering computer advice over the internet, you do it at your own risk.

It's been a while since i did this so I can't remember and google reveals two different explanations so

Start > Run and type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes and hit OK.

Then leave it be to do it's thing.

or

Start > Run and type 'cmd' without the quotes. Then in the command prompt that appears type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes and press return.

Then leave it be to do it's thing.

This should repair the corrupted file.

If strange things happen while it does it's thing (error messages etc.) then post back and we'll see what can be done.

Archived