Too Much Shooting

If you are using all those settings and players are still always shooting I think I can say with almost absolute certainty that the players have a lack of support and options at the time so have no other choice but to shoot.

Is your lone striker support or attack btw?

The lone striker is on Attack as he is an Advanced Forward Cleon.

And RTHerringbone - They 100% do. Angel Di Maria (One of the worlds top players ;) ) Had Antonio Valencia (Ronaldo's "Replacement") in support across the edge of the box. All he had to do was slide it across and it was a tap in for Valencia. It is usually the Wingers that take the shots. They also shoot from lots more crossing situations when they are in the box on the edge.

Is this for FM15?

Cleon/RT - Can you guys honestly say you have never experienced wide players shooting from ridiculous angles in FM14 ?

I am not playing the Beta but still tinkering about with 14 and no matter what formation, roles and duties you play wide players shoot from ridiculous angles an awful lot, even when you add PIs' like "shoot less", "cross more" or even a TI of "work into box" and all this is when (by view of the ME anyway) a lot of the time there are clearly other passing options available so if it's for 14 I have every sympathy for the OP and if it's for 15 I am a bit concerned that we may have these issues all over again this year.

One thing I do notice (in 14) is the lack of slide rule passes across the box even if they were to get intercepted with the player preferring a wild drive into the side netting. I think half the problem has been that IRL if an option isn't on a lot of players will check back and turn, even dwell on the ball, and this didn't seem to happen in 14 so I am very interested that if you didn't experience this how did you stop it??!!!!

Cleon/RT - Can you guys honestly say you have never experienced wide players shooting from ridiculous angles in FM14 ?

Speaking for myself, of course I can't.

Also speaking for myself I can also say that in the real football I watch, I see it happening all the time too.

In FM, support to attacking moves is key. This was the case in 14, it is in 15, and was the same in 13, 12, 11.......

Shooting from beyond the corner of the six yard box is all too common from my wingers so far. They've got a six inch sliver of goal to aim for, but they go for it without fail when in real life all but the most panicked players would square a hopeful ball across the goalmouth if they saw nothing on.

The lone striker is on Attack as he is an Advanced Forward Cleon.

And RTHerringbone - They 100% do. Angel Di Maria (One of the worlds top players ;) ) Had Antonio Valencia (Ronaldo's "Replacement") in support across the edge of the box. All he had to do was slide it across and it was a tap in for Valencia. It is usually the Wingers that take the shots. They also shoot from lots more crossing situations when they are in the box on the edge.

3 forwards, all set to attack, could very well produce a lot of situations where there aren't many supporting options and players either must shoot or don't have the vision to see a passing outlet. Could you make the forward a supporting type player? I'm a fan of a false nine when combined with two attacking, in-cutting wingers.

I'm running an Arsenal save, and currently play a 4-2-3-1 with Sanchez (AMR W S) Ozil (AMC T A) Ayew (AML W S) and Giroud just ahead as a Poacher, and i'm finding all three just shoot from ridiculous positions on the pitch, without trying to play the ball, even though i use short passing, retain, etc.

Wilshere and Ramsey play behind as a DLP and BBM respectively and similarly just do the same.

Highly frustrating

You could try this although it's something I have been trying on FM14 after a suggestion by Luizinho. I have added "pass into space" and have a lot more passes centrally to the forwards now. They still blast it straight at the keeper mind but it's a start!!!

Is that something I can do on a per player basis? Is it the 'More Risky Passes' instruction maybe?

The silly angles shooting appears to be because of distance from goal. IE players determine whether or not shoot based on how close they are to the goal, not on the angle they are from it. I don't understand why. It's been this way for as long as I can remember, too. You simply cannot seem to get players to cross from inside the penalty area, particularly from about five yards inside either line.

It drives me mad as my attacking play is entirely designed around overloading the back four to create situations where a cut-back is deadly... except most of the time the cut-back won't ever arrive unless the player is far wide of goal (IE distant as well as at a wide angle). Even then they sometimes shoot. As in from the touchline. Fortunately goals still happen anyway, but we'd get so many more...

Which to be honest makes me wonder if it's partly intentional: there'd be too many goals if the classic FIFA sweaty goal was possible.

Archived