Coventry City in the 21st Century

SBA

So, it finally happened ...

May 2001 and at long last our fall from grace was cemented (at Villa Park of all places icon_wink.gif)

Two and a half seasons have passed by almost un-noticed as far as neutrals are concerned as Coventry City continue to strive to climb back to the promised land that is the Premiership.

This is new territory for me within my life time.

34 years of unbroken top flight football is a long time and is all I'd ever known.

So, here we are on 26 November 2003, sitting in Division mid-table obscurity.

Confined to where we belong as far as many are concerned.

There is a mountain of debt left over which the club are continually fighting against, which has involved drastic measures being taken such as players' contracts being terminated by 'mutual' consent.

Since being relegated all of the following have been moved on by the club:

Moustapha Hadji

Magnus Hedman

Chris Kirkland

Marc Edworthy

John Hartson

Craig Bellamy

Lee Carsley

John Eustace

Paul Williams

Paul Telfer

Gary Breen

Youssef Chippo

The battle to revive former glories (i.e. being famous for hovering just above the Premiership drop zone to the annoyance and disbelief of most) goes on ...

This CM Story is a story with a difference

The arrival of CM03/04 meant the availability of an option to watch every single match in full ...

... that is what I'll be doing ...

I'll be playing one CM match per day (may increase to 2 or 3 at weekends) and posting the details here ...

The thread will be updated with a match report per day (whenever humanly possible).

I won't bog it down with statistics and endless lists - the emphasis will be on match reporting (being as I have a ticket to every game icon_wink.gif) ...

I'm two games into the season so far, details will appear here later ...

SBA

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it finally happened ...

May 2001 and at long last our fall from grace was cemented (at Villa Park of all places icon_wink.gif)

Two and a half seasons have passed by almost un-noticed as far as neutrals are concerned as Coventry City continue to strive to climb back to the promised land that is the Premiership.

This is new territory for me within my life time.

34 years of unbroken top flight football is a long time and is all I'd ever known.

So, here we are on 26 November 2003, sitting in Division mid-table obscurity.

Confined to where we belong as far as many are concerned.

There is a mountain of debt left over which the club are continually fighting against, which has involved drastic measures being taken such as players' contracts being terminated by 'mutual' consent.

Since being relegated all of the following have been moved on by the club:

Moustapha Hadji

Magnus Hedman

Chris Kirkland

Marc Edworthy

John Hartson

Craig Bellamy

Lee Carsley

John Eustace

Paul Williams

Paul Telfer

Gary Breen

Youssef Chippo

The battle to revive former glories (i.e. being famous for hovering just above the Premiership drop zone to the annoyance and disbelief of most) goes on ...

This CM Story is a story with a difference

The arrival of CM03/04 meant the availability of an option to watch every single match in full ...

... that is what I'll be doing ...

I'll be playing one CM match per day (may increase to 2 or 3 at weekends) and posting the details here ...

The thread will be updated with a match report per day (whenever humanly possible).

I won't bog it down with statistics and endless lists - the emphasis will be on match reporting (being as I have a ticket to every game icon_wink.gif) ...

I'm two games into the season so far, details will appear here later ...

SBA

... and there's only one KEANO icon_biggrin.gif

Readers to this thread are requested to not post any advice on player purchases, tactics etc. (bearing in mind that I will not complete my first season until the New Year icon_biggrin.gif) as I will be steering well clear of any advice ... that's the point of the game - as is watching games and making changes as you see the game unfold - just like IRL icon_smile.gif

You confused me a little. Is this your first season or 3rd in the game?

A good idea is to post the matches for download in your reports. I may be interested in watching some of them.

Good luck!

PS. I play as Everon I've played 17 matches so far and I'm 6th which is quite good. I play in extended and if I'm not satisfied by 60 minute I change to full. I watch matches with big teams on full though.

SBA talks ...

It's often said that managers prefer to start off their new campaign with a home game.

In my case this was the opposite.

I could already feel the immense pressure having been thrust into the job of my dreams at the club I had supported since childhood. What I didn't need to see was an opening game against one of the Division's lesser likes at Highfield Road.

My wishes came true. In fact the fixture computer threw up 3 consecutive away games to kick off the new season.

A trip to The Hawthorns in the 1st Round of the League Cup was sandwiched between Division One away days in London - first at Selhurst Park to face Crystal Palace and a week later at The New Den to face Millwall. We would play Cardiff in our first home game of the season on 23 August.

It would pass as a personal accomplishment for myself to just avoid a disastrous start to the season and avoid further fuel to the fire that Chairman Mike McGinnity had done the wrong thing in appointing such a novice as myself in the summer.

I understand the supporters' concerns. But what I want them to understand is that I am a supporter as well, and will be doing everything within my power to make the club a success again.

The odds were stacked against me.

For example we have 4 coaches at the club - two of them earn less than £2,000 a week between them but the other two earn close to 10 times that amount between them (Steve Ogrizovic & Eric Black).

Immediately I looked into the option of terminating their contracts. However this would cost the club close to £1 million for each coach to be released - so the idea was quashed before it got moving ... it would not exactly have enhanced manager-chairman relations for me to incur such cost for the club within my first week!!

The club was being operated on a shoestring (compared to the Premiership days).

Transfer fees of £75,000 were available to me so I quickly got used to the idea that what I was seeing on the training ground would have to serve me for a good while into the season.

The club has a good reputation for youth player development and this may also have to be a key factor in my success or otherwise.

With this in mind I did manage to appoint Stuart Gibson as a coach to bring the total up to 5 - and £400 per week was thankfully not in the region to raise any eyebrows in the boardroom ...

The feeling around the club was that we could achieve a safe mid-table position, but sights had been lowered somewhat season by season since being relegated. I knew what the fans really wanted was a play-off place, something we had failed to achieve thus far. That was my personal aim, well, probably more like a dream actually.

In reality mid-table this season and more solid financial position would be something for me to build on, for I was in this for the long haul, I had no choice, there was to be no quick fix to the Sky Blues' predicament, one faced by many other clubs who have succumbed in the Premiership since its' inception in 1992.

We had a mixed pre-season - winning 2, drawing 1 and losing 2 of our games.

The real deal was about to begin, Crystal Palace away on 9 August, a game which had everyone full of nervous anticipation - the fear of the unknown ... and I was the one fronting the Sky Blue Story ...

SBA

Saturday 9 August

Nationwide League Division One

Crystal Palace 1

Shipperley 7

CITY 1

Suffo 43

MATCH REPORT from the CET

SBA's eagerly anticipated first game in charge of the new-look Sky Blues saw them take what was, in the end, a useful point from their opening day trip to Selhurst Park.

No doubt many of the travelling City fans, lapping up the August sunshine, would have quietly settled for a draw whilst making their way to the capital and so although what they saw wasn't always pretty, the end reward was none the less satisfying.

Neil Shipperley fired Palace into a 7th minute lead and this prompted SBA into a rather public verbal assault on his side for he must be well aware that Sky Blue fans will want to see some proof of why the Board have elected a man with limited previous managerial experience.

City were looking to threaten on the break with Palace having the majority of posession and full value for their lead but it was Andy Morrell who freed himself down the inside right channel to intelligently square the ball to SUFFO who slid the ball in from ten yards out.

SBA used his full quota of three substitutions although it was Calum Davenport who excelled at the heart of the defence, playing alongside Dean Gordon who is not used to playing such a central role but this was enforced due to a training ground injury to Mo Konjic.

An away point to kick off with then, and West Bromwich Albion to follow in the League Cup before a trip to Millwall next Saturday ... SBA will no doubt be looking for a repeat of the spirit his team showed at Selhurst, although he will be hoping for an increase in the quality department.

BIG MATCH STATS

Crystal Palace 1 - 1 CITY

Goal Attempts

Crystal Palace 13

Coventry City 3

Corners

Crystal Palace 4

Coventry City 1

Don't miss SBA's Selhurst Park post match reaction ...

Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Shearer 5

Whing 6

Staunton 5 (Mansouri 52 - 7)

Gordon 4

Davenport 8 (MOM)

Morrell 5 (Adebola 71 - 6)

Warnock 6 (YC)

McAllister 7

Safri 6

Suffo 7 (goal 43)

Pead 5 (Pipe 28 - 6)

SBA talks exclusively to CM Stories

Pre-season optimism is a funny thing ...

Football fans are so often described as fickle and the opening day of the season demonstrates this so clearly time and time again.

The first 90 minutes of any season can be a compacted box full of the widest variety of emotions ... and we will doubtless re-visit every single one of those we encountered on Saturday as we go through the season.

As a new manager to not only the club but to the game I must plead for your patience ... however just 10 minutes in on Saturday and we were already looking ahead with some angst as to the what the season might have in store.

That said I was pleased with how the lads battled their way back into the game and it would be nice to think that this was a reflection of my own character ... for there will be knocks this season ... but so long as I see the players react in the positive fashion they showed on Saturday then I'll be a happy manager.

Although I don't normally look to single players out I must say that Calum Davenport's performance was one extreme composure - showing maturity beyond his years and as I stated before Saturday, the performance and progression of the younger players will be paramount to our chances this season.

How could you play Dean Gordon, terrible tactics icon_mad.gif

I prefer to use one of the youngsters than him, I hate him with a passion for some completely unknown reason lol

Not a bad start, as long as we do better at Palace tomorrow. I can't take many more draws icon_frown.gif

Now just try to keep the story up icon_razz.gif

Wednesday 13 August 2003

English League Cup (First Round)

AET

West Bromwich Albion 3

Dichio 23 (pen), 36

Haas 91

CITY 2

Joachim 7, Adebola 66

City crash in League Cup First Round

The Sky Blues went out of England's secondary cup competition at the first time of asking at The Hawthorns last night but the Baggies needed extra time to finally book their own place in the Second Round.

The draw had not exactly been kind to them. They could have hardly faced a tougher assignment than a trip to their West Midlands rivals.

SBA made changes to the side which drew at Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Fit again Mo Konjic came into the line up and Craig Pead, who was substituted early on at Selhurst Park, was given the full 120 minutes and certainly put himself about by showing boundless energy in the midfield.

Gary McAllister was rested and replaced in the side by Claus Jorgensen but the Sky Blues found themselves lacking in creativity and so replaced the Dane with Andy Morrell and went for a more direct route to goal at half time.

Youssef Safri was also rested with Yazid Mansouri replacing him in the holding role in midfield - he impressed and SBA must be looking for a system which incorporates both in the same side.

It had looked so good for City when Julian JOACHIM opened the scoring on 7 minutes. There was a chance for the striker to add to his tally before Albion grabbed an equaliser courtesy of a somewhat dubious penalty award for an alleged push by Davenport.

Dichio made it 2-1 to the home side before half time.

Joachim was starting his first game of the season and had not had a full pre-season under his belt - he was substituted for Dele ADEBOLA who nodded in a Steve Staunton corner from the left midway through the second half to give the side renewed optimism.

The Sky Blues held on to get to extra time but were struck down at the start of the first period when Haas scored what turned out to be the winner despite an unrewarded Sky Blue surge towards the end of the 120 minutes.

BIG MATCH STATS

West Bromwich Albion 3 - 2 CITY (AET)

Goal Attempts

West Bromwich Albion 11

Coventry City 6

Corners

West Bromwich Albion 3

Coventry City 6

Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Arphexad 8

Whing 7

Staunton 7

Davenport 6

Konjic 5

Pipe 6 (YC)

Jorgensen 4 (Morrell 46 - 7)

Barrett 5 (Safri 69 - 7)

Mansouri 7

Joachim 7 (goal, 7) (Adebola 59 - 7) (goal, 66)

Pead 7

SKY BLUE NEWS

Thursday 14 August 2003

Julian Joachim has today been placed on the transfer list by his manager SBA.

SBA said that he didn't want to be contemplating losing a player of the calibre of Joachim, but that the interests of the club had to come first and foremost.

He went on to say that he could have picked out any one of his more experienced performers in a bid to provide a much-needed financial boost.

However Joachim was the odd man out because of his proneness to injury, and the fact that he was one of the club's better paid players at £10,000 a week.

Joachim's current deal with the club is due to expire in June 2004 and so SBA will be looking to do business as soon as possible with an asking price of £425,000 being circulated.

Chesterfield, Brentford and Tranmere are reported to be interested in the former Aston Villa and Leicester marksman.

Saturday 16 August 2003

Millwall 0

CITY 0

Brave City escape The New Den with a point

Manager SBA completed the run of three away games to kick off his first week in charge of his 03-04 City side with a hard-earned point at The New Den, although with a little more fortune in front of goal the Sky Blue Army could have been left rejoicing with all three.

Two points from a possible six is a reasonable start for the Sky Blues ... just how reasonable it is in reality will now be determined by the upcoming home games where the onus will be on the strikers to convert the kind of chances that went begging in South London on Saturday.

Having said this Millwall will point to Scott Shearer's excellent double save in the second half to thwart former City favourite Noel Whelan, but for City to leave with nothing would have been somewhat of an injustice.

The contest was keenly fought throughout with a total of seven yellow cards, the presence of Dennis Wise helping the cause in that department.

Youssef Safri was pushed on a little in midfield leaving Mansouri to protect the back four with City operating a narrow 4-1-3-2 formation.

Youngster Andrew Whing is a rarity in that he has completed all three of the Sky Blues' games so far and from his right back berth was encouraged to get forward at every opportunity, providing some much needed width to City's attacking play as manager SBA deployed the three central midfielders of Safri, Barrett and Pead with Mansouri just behind them.

Transfer listed Julian Joachim again did well but was substituted in the second half as he tired with Dele Adebola again the replacement.

Patrick Suffo failed to recover from injury in time but with a full week before their next fixture SBA will be hoping to be able to pick from a full strength squad as ahead of Cardiff City arriving in town for the Highfield Road curtain-raiser next Saturday.

BIG MATCH STATS

Millwall 0 - 0 CITY

Goal Attempts

Millwall 7

Coventry City 6

Corners

Millwall 3

Coventry City 5

It is unlikely that we will be involved in a busier week this season than the one we have just experienced ... the FIRST one!!

Three games in seven days ... nothing out of the ordinary there ... but with all three of them being away from Highfield Road it is a relief to get it out of the way and now we can look to our first home game on Saturday when Cardiff City will provide the opposition.

We could have taken all three points against Millwall but it was encouraging to have at least made the chances to miss at The New Den.

Every effort will now be made on the training ground to provide strikers such as Andy Morrell, Patrick Suffo and Dele Adebola with that all important ingredient for any striker - confidence.

Talking of strikers it was not the most pleasant of duties for myself to have to inform Julian Joachim that he had been placed on the transfer list last Thursday.

Whilst he does not want to leave the club, he does understand that due to circumstances we will be unable to offer him a new contract when his current deal expires next June. It would be good for Julian if we could get him fixed up with a new club as soon as possible.

In the meantime Julian will remain in my first team plans as he is a quality player and adds a new dimension to our attacking play.

I look forward to seeing you all at Highfield Road on Saturday.

Don't miss the Match Report of the Sky Blues v Millwall ... to appear here soon ...

Saturday 23 August 2003

CITY 2

Cardiff City 0

Calum carves the way towards opening victory

Coventry City gained a most welcome first three points of the season as Patrick Suffo's late strike added to Calum Davenport's fourth minute opener to give manager SBA the outcome he was looking for.

City stuck with the narrow formation that had served them well at Millwall a week ago. Youssef Safri produced a dominant display in his more advanced role in the middle of the park and was just edged out for the Man Of The Match Award by the improving Davenport.

The home fans had barely found their way to their new seats for this first home game of the season when Steve Staunton drilled in a corner from the left which was met on the near post by the towering DAVENPORT who glanced in much to the delight of the new manager.

Cardiff could have been level almost immediately but a superb reflex save by Scott Shearer meant that the early celebrations were not to be short-lived.

Andrew Whing covered a huge amount of ground down the right flank for City and, even at such an early age, is clearly one of SBA's more cherished pieces in the Sky Blue Jigsaw.

There were chances for Andy Morrell to increase City's lead later on in the first half. The striker clearly much in need of a confidence boost which a goal would doubtless bring.

City continued to have the upper hand into the second half with Cardiff becoming ever more desperate in throwing men forward as there plight became more and more obvious.

Transfer listed Julian Joachim probably didn't do enough for the watching scouts to enduce a bid from the clubs concerned in the near future and was replaced by Patrick Suffo.

Cardiff had long since run out of ideas with Safri successfully keeping tabs on the on-loan Cheyrou in the midfield.

David Pipe, who had replaced Morrell, went bursting down the right hand side as the game entered injury time and picked out the perfect pass to enable SUFFO to quash any lingering doubt amongst the Sky Blue faithful.

Three games in then and SBA has done nothing to intensify the thoughts of the pre-season doubters.

Stoke City, who have drawn their opening three games of the season, are next Saturday's opponents at Highfield Road.

The Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Shearer 7

Whing 8 (YC)

Staunton 8

Davenport 8 (goal, 4) (MOM)

Konjic 5 (YC)

Mansouri 7

Pead 7

Barrett 6 (Warnock 74 - 7)

Safri 8

Morrell 6 (Pipe 85 - 7)

Joachim 5 (Suffo 63 - 7) (goal, 90)

SKY BLUE NEWS

Monday 25 August 2003

- Three more players have been transfer-listed by manager SBA as the club's off the field problems show no immediate sign of subsiding.

- Gavin Ward, the goalkeeper brought in to provide experienced cover alongside Pegguy Arphexad to current No. 1 Scott Shearer, has made been available for £80,000.

- Long time club man Richard Shaw has been made available on a free. But with Shaw considering retirement at the end of the season and apparently not in the manager's first team plans, it seems unlikely that any doors are going to be knocked down regarding the player's availability.

- Dean Gordon, who has started one game so far this season and failed to impress, has also been put up for sale at £170,000 as SBA pushing his belief that investment in youth is the only investment the Sky Blues should even consider making at the current time.

- SBA has signed central defender Paul Robinson on a three-month loan from Millwall. City will be contributing half of the player's weekly age, amounting to just £100 per week. It is thought that manager SBA will be keeping a keen eye on the youngster as he makes his reserve team debut later in the week.

Don't miss SBA's weekly column as he reflects on the Sky Blues' victory over Cardiff City

Tuesday 26 August 2003

Having picked up a couple of creditable draws in our first two away games it was significant that we made home advantage count on Saturday.

Craig Pead was a real plus point with his endless running playing in front of the solid Yazid Mansouri. This allowed me to utilise Safri and Barrett either side of Pead and I was pleased with their supply to the two front men.

Within this system comes an enormous responsibility on the two full backs, with Steve Staunton and Andrew Whing not letting anyone down.

We have not conceded a goal in the league since the seventh minute of the season and whilst playing at home means the onus is on you to go forward, this impressive defensive record is one which we shall be looking to carry forward into Saturday's game with Stoke City at Highfield Road.

Saturday's game will see the return of John Eustace, Marcus Hall and Paul Williams, all three of which were heavily involved in the latter years of the club's long stint in the top division.

Coventry City v Stoke City MATCH REPORT will appear here ...

Saturday 30 August 2003

CITY 0

Stoke City 0

Former Sky Blue fails to make City pay the penalty

Former Coventry City favourite John Eustace missed the perfect opportunity to make his old club pay for letting him go in the summer as he saw his first half penalty spectacularly saved by Scott Shearer.

Shearer, who joined the Sky Blues in the summer, pulled off a blinding stop to his right hand side to foil Eustace, who had an otherwise enjoyable return to his former club.

That incident, following a handball by Stephen Warnock, will be the only lasting memory on an afternoon when City failed to follow up their impressive win last time out against Stoke City.

The game was scrappy throughout, with the visitors seemingly satisfied to take a point from the moment Eustace had his spot kick saved.

SBA drafted Warnock into the midfield pressing role vacated by an unfortunate Craig Pead who had been ruled by a fractured wrist, an injury which is likely to see him also ruled out of Wednesday's trip to Upton Park.

SBA could not be accused of not going for all three points as City mounted increasing pressure on the Stoke back four (which included both Paul Williams and Marcus Hall) as the second half progressed, but in truth they never really created the worthwhile chances to say they deserved to win the game.

City remain undefeated, having conceded just one goal in four games, but it is their limited success at the other end of the pitch which means they have drawn three of their opening four matches.

BIG MATCH STATS

CITY 0 - 0 Stoke City

Goal Attempts

Coventry City 2

Stoke City 1

Corners

Coventry City 2

Stoke City 1

The Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Shearer 7

Whing 7 (YC)

Staunton 7

Davenport 6

Konjic 7

Mansouri 7

Warnock 4 (YC) (Pipe 27 - 7)

Barrett 7 (Adebola 61 - 6)

Suffo 6

Joachim 4 (Jorgensen 61 - 7)

Safri 6 (YC)

SKY BLUE NEWS

Sunday 31 August 2003

The Sky Blues have successfully captured two scouts, an area SBA knows to be crucial as he looks to pick up sensibly priced playing talent from all corners of the globe.

Joining the scouting team are John Griffin and Lee McKenzie - both reported to be earning £200 per week.

2003-04 SEASON

SKY BLUE AUGUST REVIEW

August

LEAGUE POSITION

Played 4, Won 1, Drawn 3, Lost 0 POINTS 6

Crystal Palace (a) 1-1 Suffo

Millwall (a) 0-0

Cardiff City (h) 2-0 Davenport, Suffo

Stoke City (h) 0-0

Top Scorers (League Only) for the season

Suffo 2

Davenport 1

Average Rating (Top 6)

N/A due to insufficient number of games played

The Sky Blues face a trip to West Ham on Wednesday night ... MATCH REPORT to appear here ...

Wednesday 3 September 2003

West Ham United 1

Carrick 30

CITY 0

Brave City edged out by Promotion Favourites

A solitary first half goal from Michael Carrick on the half hour mark was ultimately enough to signal SBA's first taste of defeat in charge of the Sky Blues.

In truth this performance was far better in terms of quality than that seen against Stoke on Saturday which left the die-hard City fans who had braved the midweek trip to the East End all the more frustrated at the final whistle.

It will be of little consolation to them that this was an entertaining affair between two sides keen to get the ball down and play.

The winner came from a corner as Carrick escaped the attentions of the massed ranks of City defenders to head home a goal which had followed a sustain period of Hammers pressure.

SBA opted to play the youthful David Pipe up front alongside the still goalless Andy Morrell as Julian Joachim was left out of the squad altogether following his poor showing at the weekend.

It was unfortunate for City that their best chances kept falling to Pipe who clearly had the home defence worried with his pace and direct running. Had he been able to keep a cool head in front of goal then the Sky Blues would surely have taken something from the game.

With 20 minutes to go SBA brought on Claus Jorgensen for Steve Staunton as he went with three at the back and pushed Jorgensen on to try and capitalise on the tiring Repka at right back.

Although over the game as a whole West Ham probably deserved the win City did cause panic in their defence in the latter stages and thought they had got level on 78 minutes when Andrew Whing finished off a fine move with a rasping drive into the far corner. The celebrations had begun on and off the pitch before they were alerted to a raised linesmans' flag.

After a promising start to the campaign the Sky Blues now find themselves in the more to be expected region of 15th in the Division One table but there was evidence at Upton Park to suggest an improvement on that position was imminent.

BIG MATCH STATS

West Ham United 1 - 0 CITY

Goal Attempts

West Ham United 11

Coventry City 6

Corners

West Ham United 4

Coventry City 1

The Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Shearer 8

Whing 7

Staunton 5 (Jorgensen 73 - 6)

Davenport 8

Konjic 8

Mansouri 7

Warnock 5 (McAllister 49 - 7)

Barrett 7

Morrell 5 (Suffo 49 - 7)

Pipe 7

Safri 7

Don't miss SBA's weekly column as he reacts to his first taste of defeat at the Sky Blue Helm ...

Thursday 4 September 2003

When looking through the fixtures and the general task ahead at the start of the season it must be acknowledged that the trip to Upton Park was never going to fall into the 'must win' category.

I'm sure that those of you that made the journey will have been satisfied that we tried everything to achieve such a result but I'm sure you'll also accept that West Ham are going to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

I had not seen the dreaded linesmans' flag until well after Andrew Whing had smashed in what we thought was a well worked equaliser in the second half, and I would need to see it again before I could say whether we were denied a potential point-saving goal.

Going back to Saturday's game against Stoke I was naturally disappointed not to have followed up on the win against Cardiff with another three point return.

Stoke must given credit however for the way they organised themselves and I'm sure there was that little extra incentive for the three former City players in the Stoke City team.

We now have a 10-day break before our next fixture when we take on Wigan back at Highfield Road and this will give enough time for Craig Pead to build himself back up to match fitness. He has done very well in the games he has played this so far and has been sorely missed in these last two matches.

It's been a very quiet week on all things Sky Blue.

We are now looking ahead to this Saturday's game against Wigan Athletic at Highfield Road but the preparations have not been ideal.

The first genuine break of the season hasn't been much of a break for many of the players as several of them have been many miles away from where I'd liked them to have been - the training ground!!

There is always a greater air of anticipation ahead of a game when there has been a long break since the previous one and I really believe a win on Saturday could give us the needed encouragement to sustain a position in the top half of the table.

Another City old boy returns to Highfield Road on Saturday - this time in the shape of goalkeeper John Filan who many believe to have been unjustly limited in the opportunities he had whilst he was here.

Naturally we'll be offering him a warm welcome back on Saturday, and naturally we will hope the generosity is returned out on the pitch!!

Saturday 13 September 2003

CITY 1

Joachim 58

Wigan Athletic 1

McMillan 88

Two points dropped as Joachim Jewel not enough

A 25-yard free kick two minutes from time off the left boot of Steven McMillan denied City after Julian Joachim had earlier struck by far and away their best goal of the season to date.

Less than 12,000 fans turned out to witness the Sky Blues, who had failed to score in their last two matches, suddenly bring the game to life 13 minutes into the second half when Patrick Suffo latched onto a headed clearance by Youssef Safri before running half the length of the pitch when he eventually picked out the on-rushing JOACHIM who gleefully smacked a right foot volley into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

It was a goal good enough to enliven a dire game, especially in the first half when Wigan had the better of the chances with Geoff Horsfield twice being denied by Scott Shearer.

SBA replaced the ineffective Barrett midway through the first half in a bold move which saw McAllister brought on and the midfielders doing their best to slide balls through the Wigan defence who, although excellent in the air, were clearly lacking pace over the ground.

The luckless Andy Morrell was replaced by transfer-listed Joachim at half time and immediately the Sky Blues were lifted with Suffo going close before Joachim did break the deadlock.

City looked in little danger of ever surrendering the lead until a free kick was awarded just outside the area with just minutes remaining.

McMillan took the free kick very quickly as the Sky Blues were busy trying to organise a six man defensive wall but could only watch the ball fizz past their ears and into the top corner of the net.

There remained an excellent chance for substitute Pipe in stoppage time but he was closed down just as he had looked to have set himself whilst only 10 yards out for what would have been a dramatic winner.

MATCH STATS

CITY 1 - 1 Wigan Athletic

Goal Attempts

Coventry City 6

Wigan Athletic 7

Corners

Coventry City 3

Wigan Athletic 2

The Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Shearer 7

Whing 6

Staunton 7

Davenport 6

Konjic 7

Mansouri 7

Pead 7

Barrett 5 (McAllister 26 - 7)

Morrell 5 (Joachim 45 - 7) (goal, 58)

Suffo 7 (Pipe 81 - 6)

Safri 7

Conceding a late goal is one of the worst feelings you can experience in football - and on Saturday we paid the biggest possible penalty as two points slipped from our grasp.

In fairness it was an excellently executed free kick but as a manager I have to look at what we could have done to prevent it. Television replays and further inspection has informed me that there were so many holes in our defensive 'wall' that it was hardly worthy of such a description.

The fact that we were defending a 1-0 lead with not long to go probably added to the panic which abounded in my players as the kick was awarded. This one incident meant that Saturday turned out to be a very frustrating day for us all.

I was absolutely delighted with the way had responded after half time, they seemed pepped up and ready to take the win off a lowly Wigan side who didn't cause us many problems after we had gone in front until that late, late intervention.

Nothing can be done about it now though and we must look ahead to Saturday's game at Preston North End where I'll be looking for a response from the players who are just as angered as I am at snatching a draw from the jaws of victory.

Sky Blue News Update to follow ...

Tuesday 16 September 2003

As the season reaches the half dozen games mark, time for a more light-hearted look at the Sky Blue Scene ...

Life-long fan and regular contributor to a City fanzine, Graham Abraham gives his view from the stands ...

CET: Thanks for coming in to talk to us Graham

Graham: No problem at all

How many games do you get to in a typical Sky Blue Season??

All of them, I've got a season ticket in West Terrace Block 6 and go to all the away games, sometimes by coach and sometimes by car

That's some dedication Graham ...

It's become a way of life. I'm grateful that I'm in the kind of work to be flexible enough to go and watch a midweek game and earn enough to be able to make all the games without giving it much of a thought - I try and plan my holidays around City matches.

So you try and get away in the summer then ...

Yeah, but if ever I did something as stupid as to get married and have kids it would have to change

... you'd have to cut down on matches then ...

No, I'd have to cut down on my holidays!!!

What did you think of the appointment of current manager SBA??

I thought the club were a bit daft to take him on when there were other experienced managers available at the time.

... and have the first six games done anything to change your view on that??

Not really, it's a bit early to judge but 7 points from 6 games is hardly play-off form which is what we're looking for. The last few seasons have all been finished for us by March.

What has been the best performance of the season so far do you think??

The game against Cardiff at home, well, it's the only one we've won so it ain't as if I've got loads to choose from!! I was well gutted after Saturday against Wigan, I thought the free kick should have been brought back because the lad seemed to take it too quickly. Our wall hadn't even been set properly.

Graham, once again, thanks again for talking to us and we look forward to seeing you again when the season reaches the 12-game mark.

Cheers, and Play Up Sky Blues ...

News Updates To Follow ... plus your CET Match Report on City's game at Preston ...

Thursday 18 September 2003

SKY BLUE NEWS UPDATE

- SBA is rumoured to be vigorously stepping up his efforts to attract players to the club. He is reported, both in Warwickshire and Lancashire, to be tracking Oldham Athletic's 27-year old midfielder Paul Murray as well as keeping tabs on Marc Bircham of Queens Park Rangers.

Murray looks the more likely addition to the Sky Blues squad with Rangers likely to insist on a hefty bid to even consider releasing Bircham from Loftus Road.

SBA is looking at his own playing assets at the Ryton Training Ground, mulling over the possibility of a part-exchange deal.

Richard Shaw and Dean Gordon have not featured too heavily in SBA's first team plans thus far this season and may be offered as bait in any future deals of this nature.

- 22 year old Michael Doyle, brought in from Celtic in the summer, has grown increasingly disheartened in recent weeks at his constant omission from the first team squad. With SBA currently adopting a narrow 4-1-3-2 system in most games the side would appear to be crying out for someone who can raid down the left hand side (which would also enable more opportunities for the talented David Pipe on the right flank - he has been deployed mainly as a striker thus far).

Doyle could well fit the bill although SBA is currently over-looking the youngster, who has been playing regularly for the reserves this season.

- The Sky Blues have employed another coach - Andy Garner - his wages reported to be worth £350 per week.

- Stockport County have been in negotiations with City to loan Julian Joachim but the deal has broken down - any loan deal of interest for Joachim would need to significantly slash the Sky Blues' part of a £10,000 a week current deal, however Stockport were unwilling to increase an initial offer to pay just 10% of the player's wage.

SBA has stated that whilst Joachim is scoring goals like the screamer he scored on Saturday, he is doing more in the way of marketing himself (Joachim is currently on the transfer list) than he ever could be in joining a struggling Second Division outfit.

The Sky Blues travel to Preston and go in search of their first away victory of the season on Saturday afternoon ... don't miss the CET Match Report ... to appear here ...

Saturday 20 September 2003

Preston North End 1

Fuller 44

CITY 0

Gould denies City their share of the spoils

A single glance at the match statistics would tell you all you needed to know in order to summarise this game. Unfortunately for City the scoreline is the only statistic which doesn't reflect favourably on them.

Former Sky Blues goalkeeper and son of two-time City manager Jonathan Gould denied them what would have been a deserved draw. He pulled off a string of fine saves, most notably a superb one handed tip around the post in injury time from Gary McAllister's fiercely struck low drive.

SBA started with unfamiliar formation. He deployed Patrick Suffo up front on his own with Julian Joachim pushing forward from the left and David Pipe, who again impressed, pushing forward from the right. With Preston playing just three at the back there seemed to be plenty of space throughout for the City wide men who were found with impressive regularity by the likes of Safri and Pead.

City's cause was not helped on the half hour when Suffo was chopped down by centre back Chris Lucketti. Suffo was treated but was replaced by Andy Morrell a few minutes into the second half when it became clear he was still being hampered by the injury.

Lucketti was sent off nine minutes from time and that was the signal for the SBA to throw everything at Preston. Indeed 3 of the 5 City shots on target came within these last nine minutes plus stoppage time.

Preston had earlier scored from what was to be their only shot at goal for the entire game. Craig Pead lost the ball in midfield before Richard Cresswell released Ricardo Fuller. Scott Shearer was hesitant in coming off his line and Fuller beat him at his near post with a left footed finish.

A defeat for City then which pushes them down to the depths of 19th in the Division One table but it was good to see the City fans applauding the side off at the final whistle. For they, along with the rest of us, had not been totally pre-occupied with the final score, frustrating as it was. It seemed that the general consensus was that the Sky Blue season was about to kick into gear. The performance was much improved, it is imperative that the results follow suit.

BIG MATCH STATS

Preston North End 1 - 0 CITY

Goal Attempts

Preston North End 1

Coventry City 5

Corners

Preston North End 4

Coventry City 4

Sky Blues Line Up

... and how they rated

Shearer 4

Whing 8

Warnock 7

Davenport 7 (YC)

Konjic 7

Mansouri 4 (McAllister, 48 - 7)

Pead 7 (Barrett, 77 - 7)

Pipe 7

Joachim 7

Suffo 7 (Morrell, 48 - 7)

Safri 7

SBA's weekly column to appear here as he gives the final verdict on City's frustrating day in Lancashire ...

Tuesday 23 September 2003

Those who attended Deepdale will know deep down that we should have brought 1, and maybe all 3 points back from Preston on Saturday.

As the manager it can be sometimes difficult to hide your own frustration when giving an assessment to the players after the game - but that is all part and parcel of being a football manager - especially when the stakes are so high for all concerned.

I can assure the fans that the players are anxious to get out there and put it right this weekend as Reading visit Highfield Road.

It has been stated by a former manager of this club that the league table no longer lies once you get ten games into a season - and that a team's position at that juncture will not be far away from where the team will finish the season.

Not necessarily the case but given the encouraging performance on Saturday we will be striving to improve on our current position with three points against Reading.

We must be more clinical in front of goal - for it is goals that win matches, and that fact was never more evident than in the Preston game where they won the match thanks to their only attempt at goal throughout.

The system I played worked in the sense that we produced worthwhile chances whilst still keeping it tight at the back.

4 goals in our first 7 matches is very poor on the face of it and I shall be giving every encouragement to the side (in terms of tactics) to get us goals on Saturday.

David Pipe has excelled on the right hand side and much of the supply against Preston came via him. I used Julian Joachim on the opposite side and although we don't have anyone screaming out to play on the left at the moment I feel it would be unfair to deny Pipe his claim for a place on the right flank (his natural position) solely in the interests of the balance of the side.

To appear here ... match report on City's game against Reading as the Sky Blues look to push back up to a mid-table position ...

SKY BLUE NEWS

Thursday 25 September 2003

Suffo sidelined

City striker Patrick Suffo broke down in training this week. He could be sidelined for up to two months with a torn groin muscle.

City have Ifura within range

The Sky Blues are about to sign rookie central defender Marien Ifura from Queens Park Rangers for a fee of £8,000.

Joachim deal is cancelled

Swindon Town were on the verge of agreeing a 3-month loan deal with the Sky Blues for Julian Joachim. However SBA cancelled the deal at the last minute, probably as a result of hearing of Patrick Suffo's injury. Releasing Joachim would have left him very thin on the ground in attack.

CITY v Reading match details to follow ...

MATCH REPORT from the CET ...

Saturday 27 September 2003

CITY 2

Adebola 68

Joachim 76

Reading 2

Sidwell 42

Forster 83

Forster foils City comeback

City looked to be on the brink of a much-needed win at Highfield Road on Saturday before Royals hitman Nicky Forster struck to signal a fifth draw in eight games for the Sky Blues, who are still left searching for their second victory of the campaign.

The first half provided no clues as to the drama we were going to get in a second half full of incident.

SBA decided to give Pegguy Arphexad a rare start in place of Scott Shearer - and his stay on the pitch lasted all of five first half minutes before becoming involved in a nasty collision with a combination of his own defenders and visiting strikers - prompting SBA to replace him with Shearer.

SBA opted to partner Dele Adebola up front with Julian Joachim, and it was the former's header which led to a vital clearance off the Royals goal-line but that apart it was a fairly non-descript first half.

The City players must have been wondering what sort of reception they would get at half time, both from the fans and the manager as Reading won a corner on the left - leading to a goalmouth scramble and the ball eventually finding its' way to the unmarked Sidwell who side-footed home from six yards out.

SBA made a second enforced substitute soon after the interval when he replaced Youssef Safri, who was carrying a knock, with Graham Barrett, who went on to have his best game of the season to date.

The Sky Blues were transformed in the second half with David Pipe raiding down the left hand side giving cause for hope of a turn-around.

It was Pipe who fed Joachim who in turn crossed for ADEBOLA to nod City level midway through the half.

Suddenly the fans had turned full circle and were urging the side on at every opportunity - and another slick move initiated by Staunton and Pipe left JOACHIM sprinting clear of the Reading rearguard before lifting the ball over the advancing keeper to put City 2-1 up with fourteen minutes to go.

However City were again to concede a crucial goal in the last ten minutes of the game - Nicky Forster had waited all afternoon for a chance - and when it came he was in no mood to let it pass.

MATCH STATS

Goal Attempts

Coventry City 12

Reading 5

Corners

Coventry City 4

Reading 2

SEASON 2003-04

Review of the Season so far: SEPTEMBER

September Results

(a) West Ham lost 1-0

(h) Wigan drew 1-1 (Joachim)

(a) Preston lost 1-0

(h) Reading drew 2-2 (Adebola, Joachim)

LEAGUE POSITION

City are currently 18th in Division One

They have played 8 games, have won 1, drawn 5, and lost 2, scoring 6 goals and conceding 6 goals. They currently have 8 points and are 2 points above the relegation zone, 5 points off the top 6, and 8 points off the top 2

Leading Goalscorers (All Competitions)

Joachim 3

Adebola 2

Suffo 2

Davenport 1

Average Player Ratings (All Competitions)

Figure on the immediate left indicates number of first team starts with the figure in brackets indicating substitute appearances

1. 9 Whing 7.00

2. 9 Davenport 6.89

3. 4 (2) Suffo 6.83

4. 2 (3) McAllister 6.80

5. 1 (4) Adebola 6.80

SKY BLUE NEWS

Wednesday 1 October 2003

McSheffrey & Doyle both surplus to SBA requirements

Both Gary McSheffrey and Michael Doyle have been placed on the transfer list by manager SBA.

He is said to be particularly upset at the action taken with McSheffrey, who is a home-grown talent with a clear passion for the club.

The player's wages amounted to £4,500 a week however, and with no immediate prospect of first team football it was decided that McSheffrey needed to be moved on.

However SBA has thus far been totally unproductive in his efforts to trim the wage bill, which is of massive immediate concern in the boardroom.

SBA added that Doyle just did not possess enough quality to figure in his long-term plans.

Thursday 2 October 2003

The second half performance against Reading at the weekend was, in my opinion, the best sustained spell of play we've seen from a City side this season.

To let the two points slip (for the second home game running) was therefore all the more frustrating.

We can only keep on chipping away and hope that the results come right for us in the games ahead.

It has been said before but Division One is a strange league with the teams being much of a muchness - the example this week being bottom of the table Norwich City beating table-topping West Bromwich Albion.

I'm sure I'm not the only manager in the Division who feels that his team's league position is somewhat false - despite the fact that we are now into October.

It was with great sadness that I had to inform Gary McSheffrey that he was being placed on the transfer list this week. However he, possibly more than any other current player, is aware of the financial difficulties at the club and I was delighted with his understanding and maturity on receiving the news.

We wish him all the best for the future and know that he will continue to give his all whilst still at the club.

On Saturday we travel back down to London once again, this time for a game against Wimbledon in Milton Keynes - and for those of you that are going, well this really will be a novel experience, how times have changed. Let's make sure we take the three points and go some way to changing them back again for the better.

To appear here ... Match Report on Wimbledon v CITY ...

Wimbledon 1

Gray 7

CITY 1

Morrell 62

Morrell off the mark to grab a point for City

Super-sub Andy Morrell finally opened his account for the Sky Blues and helped gain City a point but it was Scott Shearer whom manager SBA was left singing the praises of after yet another draw.

City have now drawn 2/3 of their 9 league games to date, but, in contrast to many of those that had gone before, they could definitely put this game into the 'point gained' rather than 'two points lost' category.

Shearer made a string of fine saves in the City goal as gritty Wimbledon dominated the game for the majority.

They were ahead as early as the 7th minute when a lofted through ball by Alex Tapp went sailing over the head of Mo Konjic for striker Gray to run on to and slot the ball beyond the advancing Shearer, who went on to give a faultless performance for the rest of the afternoon, possibly angered at being dropped to the subs' bench for last week's game against Reading.

SBA did his best to make things happen for the Sky Blues, taking off a fading Yazid Mansouri and replacing him with David Pipe as they tried to react to their early setback.

Craig Pead was also withdrawn before the interval following a crunching tackle in the midfield and was replaced by Stephen Warnock.

City won a corner in the 62nd minute, and that was the opportunity for SBA to replace Dele Adebola with a determined Morrell. No sooner had MORRELL sprinted to take up his position for the corner inside the Dons' 6-yard box than he was sprinting towards the jubilant City support after pouncing to slide in on a loose ball after Konjic's initial header was blocked.

Morrell could have won it for City but blazed over from inside the area, no doubt due to a rush of adrenaline at the prospect of netting twice inside 20 minutes after failing to register in the entire season before this game.

It was left to Shearer to preserve the point for City at the other end with a couple of superb saves at the death.

The results might be following a certain pattern but on this evidence the performances are definitely not ... but that, I suppose, is the First Division for you.

MATCH STATS

Goal Attempts

Wimbledon 11

Coventry City 3

Corners

Wimbledon 1

Coventry City 5

SKY BLUE NEWS

Tuesday 7 October 2003

Pipedream fulfilled

David Pipe has been called up to the Wales international squad for the first time for an upcoming friendly. He has said he is delighted to have made it into the national squad at such a young age.

SBA gives Whing backing

City manager SBA has publicly acknowledged right full back Andrew Whing's contribution to the City cause so far this season. Whing has been an ever-present in the side and currently tops the club stats in the list of 'match rating' figures. SBA stated that should Whing continue to make strides as he has done in the last few months then he could go on to become a real star in the game.

City poach Pitcher

The Sky Blues have signed 28-year old Geoff Pitcher from Brighton & Hove Albion. The midfielder had spent a period on loan at Third Division Macclesfield where he shone every time he took the field. The player admits the step up to Division One football will be tough to adjust to but is delighted in the faith that City manager SBA has put in him, the fee being £7,000. Pitcher's arrival will mean increased competition for the midfield places at Highfield Road.

Archived