A product from Iceland...

HorusFM

Three new players joined Hjortur's side on the same day. Scottish winger Ryan Wilson, and Slovakian pairing Denis Emersic and Borut Demsar. Big signings and good additions to the squad. And the season would now be underway.

Sunday 17th February - vs. HK, Kopavogsvollur

Deildabikar Group B

GK – Helgi Helgason

DL – Terry Lawrence

DR – Sigurbjorn Ingason

DC – Vigfus Juliusson

DC – Sigurour Skarpheoinsson

ML – Ryan Wilson

MR – Jonathan Godsmark

MC – Eggert Jonsson

MC – Skuli Jonsson

ST – Albano Correia

ST – Brynjar Benediktsson

Attendance: 2171

HK try to assert their authority early on, Gislason going close with a long range drive. They did take the lead though, Gislason playing Sigporsson through the defence, and him ending the move with a cool finish. Tinda try to get back into it, Wilson attempting a 25yard freekick, but narrowly putting it over. The equaliser does eventually come though, and it was well worth the way. Godsmark with a mazey run down the right, crosses to the far left, and Wilson opens his account with a prolific long range volley which ripples the net with style. The happiness is short lived though, Ragnarsson bending a freekick in beautifully after a foul by Ingason. The second half starts no better for Tinda, HK scoring a third through a well worked corner routine, ending with Sigvaldsson heading it in. Its four moments later, as the top league side begin to run riot. Sigvaldsson once more the scorer with a precise finish after a through ball from Ragnarsson. Tinda go straight on the attack and a defensive error allows Benediktsson in, and he smashes the ball in from 25yards. It matters little as another collapse sees the three goal lead restored, Sigporsson unleashing a 30yard screamer. The rest of the half quietly passed by and the curtain was drawn on a dreadful game for Tinda. FULL TIME.

HK 5 (Sigporsson 16, 62, Ragnarsson 54, Sigvaldsson 56, 58)

Tindastoll 2 (Wilson 32, Benediktsson 60)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday 24th February - vs. Stjarnan, Sauoarkroksvollur

Deildabikar Group B

GK – Helgi Helgason

DL – Terry Lawrence

DR – Sigurbjorn Ingason

DC – Vigfus Juliusson

DC – Sigurour Skarpheoinsson

ML – Ryan Wilson

MR – Jonathan Godsmark

MC – Eggert Jonsson

MC – Skuli Jonsson

ST – Milos Tanasic

ST – Brynjar Benediktsson

Attendance: 178

After the really poor defeat against HK, Hjortur wanted a better performance, but saw his side let off the hook only 3 minutes in, Kevinsson scoring only to be ruled out for a foul. Wilson has a good chance to give Tinda the lead, but its Stjarnan who grab it. A mazey run from Kevinsson and his subsequent cross finding Birgisson, who simply heads the ball past Helgason. The lead is doubled not long after, a failed chance from Tanasic ending up with a counter for Valsson, who runs the whole way and fires under Helgason to make it two. Tinda nearly pull a goal back, but Benediktsson's effort is palmed away from goal. The second half starts better for Tinda, Tanasic both creating but also missing a chance from 5yards. The frenzy soon fades and Tinda find themself 3 down, Birgisson pumping the ball past Helgason from all of 35yards, much to the amazement of the crowd. Even the Tinda fans applaud the goal. Tinda continue to knock for a goal, both Tanasic and E.Jonsson being turned away though. The game ends with nothing to note, and Hjortur's job is hanging perilously now. FULL TIME.

Tindastoll 0

Stjarnan 3 (Birgisson 17, 63, Valsson 27)

After the game it was reported that Hjortur was to need to win his next game to keep his job. Looking at the tough fixtures ahead, he resigned there and then as Tindastoll FC boss.

Thanks EvilDave. Big news to follow...

Sverrisson Quits! Sunday 5th May - 2013

Iceland today found out that their national football team will be in the search for a new manager. Eyjolfur Sverrisson resigned today to try his hand at club football. The manager, who formerly played for Stuttgart, Besiktas and Hertha BSC, today announced his decision in the hope of taking a job in club football. Its a big step for him, and hes done a good job for Iceland since taking them over. The main frontrunner for the job is the available Hjortur Olafsson, who recently left his post as Tindastoll manager. Other favourites are Einar Sigtryggson and Englishman Leroy Rosenior.

The following news item showed the ambition of Hjortur.
Olafsson Becomes Iceland Boss - Saturday 11th May - 2013

Big news today as Iceland wasted no time in moving to appoint a successor to the recently departed Eyjolfur Sverrisson. Hjortur Olafsson becomes the new boss after spells in England with Boston United, Lancaster City, Leigh RMI and with Tindastoll in his native Iceland. Hes yet to make the step to the big level, and this will definitely be seen as a rash move by the Icelandic FA. Time to see what he can really do.

Wednesday 15th May - World Rankings Announced; Iceland remain in 74th position. Italy remain the top ranked nation.

Sunday 26th May - Squad Selection for games aaway against Portugal and Bulgaria;

GKS; Pall Gisli Jonsson (IA), Aron Vioarsson (Por), Haraldur Bjornsson (Bristol Rovers).

DEFS; Indridi Sigurdsson (Preston North End), Gunnar Por Gunnarsson (Racing), Johann Kristjansson (Grindavik), Gunnar Sigurosson (Fylkir), Ragnar Sigurosson (Helsingborg), Kristjan Orn Sigurosson (Parma), Vigfus Juliusson (Tindastoll), Stefan Gislason (Strasbourg).

MIDS; Johan Frioriksson (Wigan Athletic), Bjarni Vidarsson (Hibernian) , Eggert Jonsson (Tindastoll), Skuli Jonsson (Tindastoll), Birkir Bjarnason (Reading), Sveinn Elias Jonsson (Brann), Emil Halfreosson (Reggina), Hafpor Egir Vilhjalmsson (Blackpool), Baldur Sigurosson (Excelsior)

STRS; Brynjar Benediktsson (Tindastoll), Kjartan Henry Finnbogason (Wigan Athletic), Gunnar Heidar Thorvaldsson (Wolfsburg), Hjalmar Porarinsson (Airdrie United)

Saturday 1st June - vs. Portugal, Estadio Municipal de Aveiro

World Cup Qualification Group 6 - Match 6

Iceland Squad;

GK; Pall Gisli Jonsson

DL; Indridi Sigurdsson

DR; Johann Kristjansson

DC; Vigfus Juliusson

DC; Kristjan Orn Sigurosson

ML; Sveinn Elias Jonsson

MR; Birkir Bjarnason

MC; Johan Frioriksson

MC; Bjarni Vidarsson

ST; Kjartan Henry Finnbogason

ST; Gunnar Heidar Thorvaldsson

Subs; Aron Vioarsson, Baldur Sigurosson, Gunnar Por Gunnarsson, Skuli Jonsson, Emil Halfreosson, Brynjar Benediktsson, Eggert Jonsson

The game away to Portugal was always going to be rough on Iceland, and for Hjorturs first fixture, was going to be big learning day for him. The first chance falls squarely on the shoulders of Thorvaldsson, but as he bore down on goal, he looked uncomfortable, and he skied his volley way over the bar. Portugal find their feet and it only takes a matter of time, Ronaldo's cross finding Quaresma who heads it past Jonsson to give them the lead. Iceland break through the Portuguese defence, but Vidarsson wastes another glorious chance at glory. Portugal look sharp though, and Mourinho's side power at Iceland, Ronaldo hitting the side netting twice. Another great counter from Iceland sees them power towards goal, Thorvaldsson seeing his shot tipped agonisingly wide of the post. But the unthinkable occurs moments later, S.Jonsson powering down the wing and crossing for Finnbogason, who powers a looping header over Ricardo to equal the score. Iceland win a freekick in a good area, and the cross finds Juliusson, but his header is saved well off the line by Ricardo. Going into half time, Portugal now look fidgety at the back. Frioriksson is taken off and replaced with B.Sigurosson. Mourinho must have ripped into Portugal at half time, as they came out on fire. Miguel turning on the edge of the box and bending an effort past Jonsson. The Iceland defence crumbles straight after the kick off, and Miguel bursts through to power a second past Jonsson. The same thing happens again to Iceland, and its all over. Miguel takes the ball on the edge of the area, and lashes a shot in for his hat trick. Thorvaldsson has a good chance to save some face, but his shot from 10yards is skewed horribly. The game ended, and despite a 4-1 defeat, it was actually a rather good performance from them. Portugal were always favourites. FULL TIME.

Portugal 4 (Quaresma 16, Miguel 49, 50, 52)

Iceland 1 (Finnbogason 40)

Attendance: 29,973

Referee; Daniele Spina

Other Group 6 RESULTS;

Isreal 4 - 1 Moldova

Russia 1 - 1 Bulgaria

Current Standings;

1. Israel 12pts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. Russia 10pts.

3. Portugal 10pts.

4. Bulgaria 5pts.

5. ICELAND 4pts.

6. Moldova 1pts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have decided that Hjortur will retire from football after he is finished with Iceland. He may return in the future. :)

Wednesday 5th June - vs. Bulgaria, Vasil Levski

World Cup Qualification Group 6 - Match 6

Iceland Squad;

GK; Pall Gisli Jonsson

DL; Indridi Sigurdsson

DR; Johann Kristjansson

DC; Vigfus Juliusson

DC; Kristjan Orn Sigurosson

ML; Sveinn Elias Jonsson

MR; Birkir Bjarnason

MC; Johan Frioriksson

MC; Bjarni Vidarsson

ST; Kjartan Henry Finnbogason

ST; Gunnar Heidar Thorvaldsson

This game was definitely one Hjortur's side could win, but they'd need to work hard. Sadly, all best laid plans fell apart from within a minute. Berbatov played Domochivskyi through, and his shot was terrific, flying past Jonsson with ease. Iceland have a great chance to equalise, but Thorvaldsson hits the side netting. The continue to attack, Thorvaldsson once more going close with a looping header. Their hard work finally pays off moments before half time, Thorvaldsson's header saved well before Atanasov bundled it over his own line. Half time approaches, with both sides looking healthy for a win. Bulgaria start the second half, and go close with an Atanov freekick. Swift play eventually gets them a second goal, Berbatov striking a clean shot under Jonsson for 2-1. Thorvaldsson continues to be the main threat behind Iceland's push for an equaliser, missing a header and putting a shot over the bar. He then works his way through on goal, and somehow, one on one, puts his shot way over the bar. Subs are made, Finnbogasson replaced with Benediktsson and S.Jonsson coming on for Frioriksson. It nearly pays dividends straight off, Benediktsson forcing the keeper to tip his shot over the bar. Despite pushing and pushing, they just cant find an equaliser. Iceland did their best, but the game ends in Bulgaria's favour. FULL TIME.

Bulgaria 2 (Domovchiyski 2, Berbatov 52)

Iceland 1 (Atanasov OG 40)

Attendance: 41,210

Referee; Lubos Michel

Other Group 6 RESULTS;

Isreal 1 - 0 Portugal

Russia 6 - 0 Moldova

Current Standings;

1. Israel 15pts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. Russia 13pts.

3. Portugal 10pts.

4. Bulgaria 8pts.

5. ICELAND 4pts.

6. Moldova 1pts.

Hjortur looked at his wife and his son as they sat on the sofa. Hjortur will freely admit that he hasnt had the best managerial career, but he certainly gave it his best shot. Erika looked across and saw that he was lost in his own thoughts.

"Hjortur?"

He snapped back into reality as she spoke to him.

"Yeah?"

"You okay hun?"

"Yeah I'm fine. But I have decided that I'm going to resign from my job. I realised after the Bulgaria game that I want to take some time out. Spend more with you and little Hjortur Junior here."

Erika smiled and came across to him. She kissed him softly on the head and sat next to him. She cuddled into him and he realised how happy he was just to have a normal life.

"Erika. I want us to get married."

Erika immediately perched herself up.

"Get down on one knee and do it properly mister."

Hjortur laughed and bent down in front of her.

"Will you marry me, Erika?"

"I'd love to." said Erika and they hugged each other tightly. Little Hjortur Jnr. let out a baby chuckle, though he had no idea what was going on.

"Will you go back to management?" asked Erika.

"Maybe one day." he replied.

I decided to call time on this game as I rarely play FM07 anymore. Closing it now will allow me to call upon Hjortur sometime in the future should he return. This story was the first one I ever posted on here, and it was a pleasure to write it, even if it did lose its way a few times. Thanks to anyone who read it and kept up with it =]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nice story. i saw this in the forum and saw the name... the only reason i clicked it was because im from iceland myself. the first mistake i saw was well hjortur should be hjörtur and the reykjavík airport is only for domestic flights unless you have a private jet. you would be going to leifstöð (keflavík airport) if you were going to another country. enjoyable read, have to praise you for this story. the season is about to kick off during the weekend and kr (my home team) is being predicted in 2nd place and fh 1st (hate them personally). keep on going with this story.

My pleasure, bben. I do admit to some errors, but as this was my first story, I'm still awfully proud. Im glad your first post was in here, and welcome you to FMS. Best of luck to KR in the league, too.

• 3 months later...

"You are missing football, aren't you?" Erika asked as Hjortur sat at the kitchen table. She was right, he was.

"Yeah, I am."

Little Hjortur Jnr was playing in his high chair, food everywhere on the little table in front of him. Erika plucked him out of his little world and then sat next to Hjortur.

"Well, why don't you put yourself back in the managerial market as soon as summer arrives?"

Hjortur's eyes lifted up to meet Erika's, "Are you sure?"

"Of course."

"But I promised that I would spend more time with you and little Hjortur."

"And you still can. Providing you get a managerial job that is part-time."

Hjortur smiled, "Deal."

Thursday 3rd April 2014

Hjortur was woken up from an afternoon nap by the sound of his phone ringing on the coffee table. Erika and Little Hjortur were out in town, allowing Hjortur the time to sleep. He picked it up and responded in a weary voice.

"Hjortur Olafsson."

"Hjortur, its Jim Rodwell."

Hjortur bolted upright. Jim had sacked him from his role as manager of Boston United in March 2007 citing poor results.

"Jim; long time no speak. What can I do for you?"

"I am going to be blunt and simple. We are in the sh*t and I need a manager."

Boston United News - April 3rd

It was revealed today that Boston United chairman Jim Rodwell has turned back the years; seven to be exact, to offer former Boston manager Hjortur Olafsson a second stint at the club. Hjortur was relieved of his duties in 2007 after an ineffective start to his reign at the club. Many people believed that to be the wrong decision, after all, six of the players he signed are still playing regularly for the club. (Neal Trotman, Dougie Calder, Birkir Sverrisson, Arni Guonason, Andrew Matthews and Paul Flaherty respectively.) Hjortur, currently living in Iceland, went on to manage Lancaster City, Leigh RMI and Tindastoll before a brief stint as Iceland's national manager. He is now without a job, and as such, no compensation package would need paying. When asked, fans seemed happy at the prospect of a return for Hjortur Olafsson, sparking more rumours that he was in Boston to meet Rodwell last night before. True or not, Rodwell had confirmed that the job had been offered as of today. Hjortur was unavailable for a comment, but the fans eagerly await his decision. Boston are currently languishing in the Blue Square Premier relegation zone with just six games to go. If Hjortur does accept the job offer, its likely he will take charge at the end of the season regardless of which league the side will play in next year. Youth coach Steve Welsh has been given the caretaker role while the managerial post is vacant, but went on record to distance himself from the job.

Olafsson Returns! - 28th May 2014

Hjortur Olafsson today made a sensational return to Boston United. The former Iceland national team manager makes his return seven years after leaving the Lincolnshire club. He has been offered a one year rolling contract, allowing Boston to compensation should he be poached by anyone else. Jim Rodwell saw his club survive relegation on the final day, a three-nil victory over Halifax Town securing their Blue Square Premier status for another year. With the club constantly harbouring expectations of relegation, Hjortur must apply himself quickly for the new season and try once more to keep them in the league. With money virtually non-existent at the club, Olafsson will receive little if any funds, and word from the club is already stating that the wage bill needs reducing. Welcome back to Boston, ey?

Upon returning to Boston, Hjortur was greeted by a few familiar faces. The squad was quite thin at the moment, just like it was seven years ago.

Goalkeepers

Dougie Calder - Signed by Hjortur during his first stint, and made only 11 appearances in his first season. Has gone on to make over 250 starts for Boston. First choice keeper this term.

Robert Webb - Solid young Irish keeper signed from Bohemians on a free just last year. Understudy to Calder for the moment.

Defenders

Jake Buxton - Arrived in 2008 for a still club record £65k, and has made over 200 appearances for the club. Still a solid defender who will be integral to the relegation scrap.

Michael Synott - Another very established defender at the club who has a lot of games under his belt. Was vital last season alongside Buxton, and will be called upon again this season.

Birkir Sverrisson - One of Hjortur's original players who, funnily, had his best season in his first year. Has struggled to make a steady impact for the club, but may see a revival under Hjortur.

Neal Trotman - Another Hjortur signing, but one who has really struggled to get matches under his belt. With the other three guys at the club, that trend looks set to continue. Seems content as a backup player, though.

Fullbacks

Nick Gore - One of the Boston youth academy graduates. He can play on both sides making him a good player to have in the side. His contract has run out now, though, so negotiations must begin if Hjortur wants to keep him.

Kenny Haswell - Signed from Dumbarton 2008 and has been the clubs only left back for six years. This may chane depending on Hjortur's use for Flaherty.

Paul Flaherty - Signed young from Clyde and is now close to making his 300th appearance for Boston despite being only 26. Plays best at left back, but the lack of MC's at the club could see him move into that role aswell.

Midfielders

Arni Guonason - Seasoned player who continues to ply his trade happily. Was vital last season, and should remain so this. May rejuvenate under a Icelandic manager.

Andrew Matthews - An excellent midfielder that Hjortur brought to the club back in the day. Has set himself up as an irreplaceable member of the side.

Wingers

Craig Kelly - A fairly decent winger who can play at left back too. Only been at the club for two years having joined from Ayr for £10k.

Matthew Doherty - Probably the most key player for the club the season just gone. Is a dynamo on the right side and vital to the club again this season.

Matthew Avery - A free arrival from Cheltenham who struggled to break into the first team for Boston last season. Made ten appearances, but is likely to lose out to Doherty.

Strikers

Chad Redmond - A striker who came from Southport two season ago. Sadly he made little impact at Boston as he did for Southport, only managing 4 goals in 70 appearances.

Thomas Annett - Young arrival from Distillery who is yet to prove his worth, but with 7 goals last season, is definitely one being touted for the future and worth holding on to.

Alex Williams - Last seasons top scorer with 22 goals. Has had a terrific few years with Boston, notching up 81 goals in 202 appearances. Will be a definitive choice for striker this year.

Well I must say gavrenwick, an exceptional story. I've been sitting here for the best part of an hour reading this, magnicifant story, its a pleasure to read, especially with your travelling about at different clubs, and of course, your time in charge of your native Iceland.

I must say though, the return to Boston was a turn up oout of the blue, but as ever, I expect you to do a great job in charge of them.

I will be following this story very closely from now on. :)

Thats very kind of you, ITFC. This was my first story after all, and while its sloppy at times, I'm very proud as it was my first. Really hope you keep along. The job offer from Boston was out of the blue; as such Hjortur did not apply for it.

Boston agree deal for Redditch Attacker

Saturday 14th June 2014

Hjortur Olafsson today negotiated the free transfer of Liam Horsted from recently relegated Redditch United.

Horsted, 28, is a former Portsmouth trainee, and can play as a striker and a left winger. In what was poor season for Redditch this season, he only managed one goal, but notched up twenty six combined in the two seasons before.

Horsted moves on to what will now be his seventh club after signing a one year deal worth around £250 a week. As its only mid-June and the transfer is a bosman, Horsted doesn't move until July 1st.

Sheffield United announce loanees deal

Friday 20th June 2014

Sheffield United manager Steve Coppell today announced that three of his youth players would make the journey south to join Boston United on season long loans.

The three players in question are central midfielders Ronnie Bird, 17, Glen Williams, 18 and full back Bradley Williams, 18. Bradley Williams is the only player out of the three to make a competitive appearance for Sheffield United, his debut coming in a league match against Rotherham United.

Pilgrims manager Hjortur Olafsson was said to be surprised at the decision for the players to come on loan, but was looking forward to welcoming them to the club. The three youngsters will join in July along with recent signing Liam Horsted.

Monday 23rd June - vs. Bangor City, Farrar Road

Wales Tour Friendly

GK – Robert Webb

DL – Paul Flaherty

DR – Nick Gore

DC – Jake Buxton

DC – Birkir Sverrisson

ML – Craig Kelly

MR – Matthew Doherty

MC – Andrew Matthews

MC – Arni Guonason

ST – Alex Williams

ST – Thomas Annett

Attendance: 100

Bangor started sluggishly but had the better chance before Boston hit on the counter with Annett. A deep cross from Doherty found the striker well, and after a dodgy first touch, he tucked away the second time to give Boston a lead. The lead is doubled when Guonason bends a splendid freekick past Carden in goal. A third goal is found before half time when A.Williams fires in a long range scorcher to show his credentials off. Redmond comes off for Annett at half time. Boston start the second half in similar style and dominate the early exchanges with two chances going begging. Bangor pull one back through Flynn, an error from Webb in goal allowing the striker an open net to finish into. Chances fall to both sides to add to their tallies but all are wasted until S.Williams grabs a second Bangor goal with a long range effort that flies past Webb. An offside flag prevents Boston getting a fourth, Williams adjuged to have ran too early, despite finishing well. The final goal does come though, last gasp too. Guonason setting up Redmond to grab a fine goal courtesy of a fine finish.

Bangor City 2 (Flynn 69, S.Williams 82)

Boston United 4 (Annett 12, Guonason 29, A.Williams 39, Redmond 92)

I didn't know that, archie, so thank you very much.

Olafsson Making His Mark

Thursday 26th June 2014

Recently returned Boston manager Hjortur Olafsson has already begun making his mark at the Lincolnshire club with four new players already arriving. Three loanees have arrived from Sheffield United while Liam Horsted is joining from Redditch in July.

Three youth players have also been given the chop by Hjortur, Billy Dolman, Ross Francis and Jack Bishop all receiving the news they would be on their way. It is expected that Robert Morris and Fannar Eyjolfsson will join them in the coming days.

Former assistant manager James Marshall has also been relieved of his job, but has been made coach instead, with Icelandic Tryggvi Haroarson set to join the club and become Hjortur's right hand man.

Peel Signs On Again

Saturday 28th June 2014

Geoff Peel today signed a new contract with Boston. Peel, 20 and a central midfielder, is believed to have been offered the contract as backup to the first team members. The Irish midfielders contract ran out at the end of last season, and a last minute deal with Hjortur sees him sign a 1 year extension to his deal. With the clubs finances in such disarray, the option to keep him on saves the club from paying out any transfer or signing on fees. Peel made five appearances last season and is a product of the youth academy.

Meanwhile, Arni Guonason's pre-season has been hampered as he picked up a bad case of food poisoning after the clubs visit to Bangor. He has been ruled out for a week with the bug.

Horsted Joins Boston

Tuesday 1st July 2014

The pre-arranged transfer of Liam Horsted from Redditch was today completed. The winger-come-striker spoke of his happiness at joining the club.

"I am truly happy to have made the switch to Boston. I have really enjoyed my time at Redditch but after the relegation I felt it was time to move on. I hope I can offer Boston what I gave to Redditch and hope to grab a few goals whether I play on the wing or up front."

Elsewhere, Nick Gore signed a contract extension on top of his deal that ran to 2015. He is now contracted to Boston til 2016. Youngster Robert Morris wasn't so lucky however, and he today left the club after spending last term on loan to Radcliffe Boro. It's firmly expected that he will join them.

Shocking Defending Caps Boston Win

Tuesday 1st July 2014

The Recreation Ground today lay witness to a terrific game of football involving seven goals; three of which were own goals, and a red card. Welsh champions TNS hosted Boston for their tour of Wales and served up a real treat for fans present; all 114 of them.

Alex Williams opened the scoring for Boston early on before a Gareth Jones own goal doubled the lead just quarter of an hour in. TNS seemed awestruck, but only temporarily. They struck back with Ian Jones snatching a lovely headed goal before half time. Alex Williams saw red just half an hour in, a reckless and dangerous tackle on Gareth Mainwaring ending his participation.

The second half saw much more action than the first, TNS grabbing their equaliser just six minutes in when Buxton gifted a penalty to the side, I.Jones slotting it home for his second. Chances were falling for either side to grab the lead, but Boston took theirs first. A freekick on the edge of the box fell to Doherty to take, and the winger bent in a delightful effort to put Boston back in front.

As time moved on, the game found itself to offer so much more. A shot from Doherty clattered off Waters before tricking his keeper for the second own goal of the game. With Boston clearly in front, it was obvious more was to come. Buxton played a horrific backpass to Calder that the keeper completely missed, having to watch as it bowled over his own line. The game had nothing more to offer after, despite chances for Horsted and Annett.

Horsted and Glen Williams both made their debuts in todays match, neither really giving an exhilirating performance. Boston's next game is a trip to Waltham Forest before a home visit from Hearts' Reserves. TNS' next game is a Champions League home tie against APOEL Nicosia.

TNS 3 (I.Jones 33, pen52, Buxton OG 85)

Boston United 4 ( Williams 4, G.Jones OG 14, Doherty 57, Waters OG 72)

4th to the 11th.

Young Welshie Signs Up

Friday 4th July 2014

Boston today unveiled the signing of former Aberystwyth Town youngster Dave Bradley.

Bradley, a left back, is 17 years old and signs after leaving the academy at the Welsh club. He made two starts last season along with six substitute appearances. Bradley is known for his good speed and his very good long throws.

Bradley spoke briefly with us, "I'm delighted to join up with Boston. I left Aberystwyth with the hope of finding a club in England in order to try and shore up my options for the future, and this is a great choice for me. It's a different class of football here. I haven't forgotten where I come from, and the boys in Wales did great in helping me through the academy, but now Boston is my future."

Williams Cuts Down Waltham

Sunday 6th July 2014

A brace from Alex Williams helped seal a solid, if not unspectacular, victory over non-league Waltham Forest. 89 people turned up to see the Scotmans efforts seal a second straight pre-season win.

Boston dominated with ease early on, Annett and Horsted both wasting chances. Alex Williams opened the scoring 16 minutes when he tucked away with ease upon being played through by captain Matthews at the back. Waltham almost caused a shock when a freekick from Andy Underwood struck the post, but he was penalised when pouncing on the rebound. Alex Williams grabbed his second of the game and half when a loose cross from Avery found him in the centre, his finish even more crisp than the first. An acrobatic save from Hibbert in the Waltham goal prevented Boston taking a three goal lead into half time.

Boston started the second half just like they had in the first; full of fervour. Alex Williams had two early chances to seal his hat-trick but he failed on both occasions, one being a spectacular headed miss from 4 yards out. The half was throughly devoid of chances though, and it was almost welcoming to here the final whistle.

Waltham Forest 0

Boston United 2 (A.Williams 16, 33)

Boston Squad; D.Calder, N.Gore, P.Flaherty, J.Buxton, B.Sverrisson, A.Matthews, M.Avery, L.Horsted, G.Williams, T.Annett, A.Williams

Arthritis Hits Buxton

Wednesday 9th July 2014

Boston defender Jake Buxton broke down in training today suffering from arthritis. This is his first case, and is a worrying blow to all concerned with Buxton. Arthritis is a health problem that will plague Buxton's muscle joints, an extreme problem for a sports person. But Porn Naret is confident that he will return stronger than ever.

"Jake is a very strongwilled individual, and he will make sure that he returns to the first team before long. My initial assessment says two to three weeks, and I am thoroughly confident that he can return after that period ready to play once again."

In other news, Boston chairman Jim Rodwell has accepted a £4,000 bid for goalkeeper Robert Webb. Webb joined from Bohemians two years ago, and is considered a part of Boston's future. But when money comes calling, especially at a club in as much debt as Boston are right now, then their is no other option. Olafsson will now have to browse the market for a replacement with no funds at his disposal.

Thanks alot bobatwal.

12th to 19th July

Goalkeeper Confusion Hits Boston

Saturday 12th July 2014

It was revealed today that Boston United goalkeeper Robert Webb has turned down the chance to join League Two outfit Shrewsbury Town.

Webb told us, "I believed I was more deserving of a performance-related pay rise based on any future promotion, and Shrewsbury were not willing to offer it. I'm going to stay at Boston for the meanwhile."

The news is welcoming for Hjortur Olafsson, who was dreading the search for another decent keeper to replace him with. Sources tell us that he was going to bring a former Tindastoll keeper from his days at the club to Boston, but no-one from Tindastoll was willing to comment on this.

In other news, Hearts' Reserves had to cancel their trip to Boston with Hearts needing all players available for their upcoming European game against FC Haka.

Guomundsson Joins Boston as Webb Goes Backwards

Wednesday 16th July 2014

Boston United today completed the signing of Tindastoll goalkeeper Bjarki Freyr Guomundsson, confirming speculation boss Hjortur Olafsson had been enquiring to Tindastoll.

Bjarki, 38, joins Boston on the back of the previously mentioned goalkeeper crisis regarding Robert Webb. Webb recently told us that he had no desire to leave Boston after talks with Shrewsbury fell through, but has since begun discussions once more, an improved £4,000 bid and 30% of his next sale to go to Boston.

Hjortur spoke to us about both events, "Bjarki is an experienced veteran of the game and will provide good cover for Dougie and Robert, unless Webb leaves. With regards to that transfer, its not in my hands now. Webb has the option to join Shrewsbury again, but whether he takes it will be another matter."

Webb Rejects Again

Saturday 19th July 2014

Robert Webb today announced his rejection at the second contract offered to him by Shrewsbury Town. With details of the offer unknown, Boston are left wondering whether Webb really wants to stay or whether he is becoming extremely awkward.

"This time round I feel that the basic wage being offered is unacceptable and the duration of the contract just isn't long enough. I will definitely be staying at Boston for the meanwhile." he told us.

It's said that fans are beginning to become annoyed with Webb's attitude towards the club, believing him only to be staying as he is unable to achieve higher wages at Shrewsbury.

20th to 27th.

Boston Batter Bloods

Sunday 20th July 2014

Boston followed up their win over Waltham Forest with a simple and heavy scoring victory over Droylsden.

Early chances fell to Annett and A.Williams, both resoundingly missing them. Droylsden didn't really turn up for the game and were always on the backfoot. Boston took the lead when a ball from Annett found Avery behind him, the winger tucking inside before lashing a right footed shot into the opposite corner. Moments later the lead was doubled when a corner from Annett found A.Williams, and his header was sweet as it rippled the net for the second time in four minutes. A third came ten minutes later as Matthews whacked in a twenty yard effort to silence the Droylsden faithful. Takes Matthews just minutes more to grab his second and Boston's fourth, a long range shot being fumbled by the Bloods' keeper.

Half time brought a welcome respite for Droylsden, but within ten minutes, Horsted burst down the right and crossed for A.Williams, who smashed the ball in from close range. The sixth goal came iseventy minutes in, a solo effort from Gore ending with a terrific finish from outside the area. Everytime Boston attacked they looked threatening, and Droyslden couldn't control it. A.Williams had a goal ruled out late on, but he was happy with his contribution. Liam Horsted took man of the match for his impressive wing play performance.

"I was really happy with the performance we put in today, and with the amount of goals we secured. This was our last friendly, so now we have to look towards our first game against Eastleigh." said Hjortur.

Droylsden 0

Boston United 6 (Avery 22, A.Williams 24, 55, Matthews 32, 39, Gore 71)

Boston Squad; D.Calder, N.Gore, P.Flaherty, M.Synott, N.Trotman, A.Matthews, M.Avery, L.Horsted, A.Guonason, T.Annett, A.Williams

Boston End Interest In Midfielder As Thompson Takes England Role

Saturday 26th July 2014

Boston today pulled out of the running for Longford central midfielder Michael Dolan. He was key to Longford last season, bagging four goals and nine assists in forty appearances. Boston had been allowed negotiations with the midfielder, but have now pulled out citing a disagreement in wages and duration of contract. Better news for Boston fans as Jake Buxton returns to the club after his specialist treatment for arthritis, and is said to be happy at returning.

In other news, England today appointed a new manager in succession to the sacking of Paul Jewell. The replacement is, rather surprisingly, former Havant & Waterlooville manager Paul Thompson. England supporters are said to be shocked and confused by the appointment of such a low league manager, but only time will tell if he will succeed. Jeff King replaces Thompson at Havant.

"I am thoroughly devoted to the job and I am ecstatic to be working with the England players on a full time basis." said Thompson at his press conference.

28th to the 4th.

Boston Given No Hope

Monday 28th July 2014

Totalbet.com today released they're odds for the upcoming Blue Square Premier season. And to say it looks unpromising for Boston fans is an understatement.

With Boston given the odds of 50-1, we are told by Totalbet.com that we should be gearing up for a long, hard and ultimately disappointing season. They believe relegation is a real possibility and that we should be prepared for life next year in the next league down.

Last year's playoff finalist losers Kidderminster Harriers have been given odds reflecting their chances of taking the title this year after missing out on it to York last season. The other two teams given a real chance in the odds to get promoted this season are the other two playoff team from last season; Forest Green and Stevenage Borough. Last season League Two relegated sides, Hartlepool and Dagenham are given a slim chance of returning at the first bounce, both sides given 5-1 odds. Other teams tipped for the top are Burton (6th last year) and Hjortur's former haunt Lancaster (7th last term).

Board Inject Cash To Coffers

Saturday 2nd August 2014

It was revealed today that Boston United chairman Jim Rodwell and General Manager John Blackwell had approached the rest of their board members for a cash injection to keep the club running. The approach was accepted, and a collective fund of £140,000 was input into the clubs running costs.

Its well known that Boston are really struggling financially - and in the current economic state, its not good. Hjortur has now got a real challenge on his hands - if Boston get relegated this season, they surely will struggle to function financially.

In other Boston news, captain Andrew Matthews picked up a serious hamstring injury during a sprinting exercise in training today. Physio Porn Naret has ruled him out for upto 3 months, a very disappointing start to a season already predicted to be a struggle.

Wills Snubs Boston for Whitby

Sunday 3rd August 2014

Former York City striker Peter Wills today joined Blue Square Northern side Whitby Town, despite offers from Boston United and Burton Albion in the Blue Square Premier.

Wills, 21, has been a York player since coming through the academy in 2011 and despite never making a start, has bagged 17 appearances from the subs bench. He has only two goals to his name; one coming notably against Lancaster last season.

Its a further blow to Boston once more as they seek to expand a strikeforce already weakened by the absence of Alex Williams for the first three games of the season and the underperforming Chad Redmond. Hjortur will need to look at other targets now as Whitby snatched Wills from under their noses and Sheffield United turned down a loan bid for young striker Sam Ogunwe.

Thanks very much mirrorboy. Hope you stick along for the ride!

5th to the 12th

Horsfield New Boston Physio

Tuesday 5th August 2014

Former Halifax and Birmingham striker Geoff Horsfield today signed up to join Hjortur Olafsson's back room staff as physio. The recently retired striker achieved his qualification just last week, and Hjortur moved fast to add Horsfield to his lonesome physio group of just Porn Naret.

Horsfield's career ended just last year after the striker had an impressive end to his career with Cheltenham, where he notched up 97 goals in 225 matches.

Today also brought confirmation that Hjortur has moved to secure the signature of Valur's 18 year old striker Gunnar Gislason. The youngster is yet to play a competitive fixture for the Landsbankadeilden side. Boston have also had a bid of £0 accepted for Brentford forward Martin Galley, and it remains to be seen whether one or both will join the club.

Disastrous Opening Day

Saturday 9th August 2014

Boston surprised no-one today with a collapse that verged on insane, Eastleigh coming from behind to snatch all three points at York Street.

Despite being the first game of the season, Boston started well, and took a nice early lead when Sheffield United loanee and debutant Ronnie Bird, in for the missing Matthews, took a pass from Guonason well, and placed a lovely finish to put the home side ahead. Sadly the lead lasted all of three minutes, Thomas Carter being released on the left before pulling inside and lashing a delicious shot past Calder to level the score. Carter then gave his side the lead with a splendid freekick given away by the returning Buxton, the ball curling round the wall and into the top corner Brazilian style.

Boston's day got worse when a double injury occurred with seven minutes, key players Guonason and Sverrisson being hauled off, hopefully not with long-term injuries. The collapse was complete sixty minutes in, Buxton receiving a second yellow for being the last man and bringing down Robson, the striker himself getting injured and needing to come off.

So it's back to the same old for Boston, while Eastleigh open their league account after being crowned champions in last seasons Blue Square South.

Boston United 1 (Bird 16)

Eastleigh 2 (Carter 19, 25)

Boston Squad; D.Calder, N.Gore, P.Flaherty, B.Sverrisson, J.Buxton, R.Bird, M.Doherty, L.Horsted, A.Guonason, T.Annett, A.Clifford

Galley Sails In

Monday 11th August 2014

Brentford striker Martin Galley today secured his move from Middlesex to Lincolnshire in a free transfer to Boston.

The Ringmer born forward spent half of last season on loan Blue Square Southern side Halesowen Town, bagging himself 6 goals in 17 matches. He never made a competitive start for Brentford.

Brentford boss Brian Laws said "We felt it right for Martin to move on. After our promotion to the Championship, there was no real future for him here, and when Boston made the bid, it only seemed logical to allow him discussions."

Galley scored on the final day of last season and secure a win for the team, a win that saw Halesowen tie on points for a playoff spot but miss out on goal difference.

Thanks as ever bobatwal. The game is still being played, and all leagues are loaded from England, Iceland, Scotland and Holland.

13th to 20th.

Plain Boston At Plainmoor

Wednesday 13th August 2014

Boston's season looked no nearer to finally getting off the ground as they were torn apart by a slick looking Torquay side.

Torquay started the game strongest and ended it strongest, an early goal coming courtesy of a fine run from Michael Graham, who made no mistake in sliding the ball past Guomundsson to open the scoring. Travelling Pilgrim fans were silenced even more just a half hour in, Graham heading in a Benyon cross with alarming ease to double the lead.

It got no easier for Boston in the second half, Torquay running the defence ragged with splendid passing and crossing of a high calibre. Boston offered nothing going forward, and fans who were still around in the 80th minute were given a rare glimpse of a goal, Horsted breaking away but slicing his shot well wide. Benyon then broke on the counter and doused the game with the third, a well executed finish meaning most Boston fans had left before the end.

Winless and pointless after just two games is hardly great, but in all honesty, no-one is expecting anything else. Having survived on the final day last season, Boston have major issues for the rest of this.

Torquay United 3 (Graham 4, 26, Benyon 82)

Boston United 0

Boston Squad; B.Guomundsson, N.Gore, P.Flaherty, N.Trotman, M.Synott, R.Bird, M.Doherty, L.Horsted, G.Williams, T.Annett, M.Galley

Forest Green Caught In A Webb

Saturday 16th August 2014

A man of the match goalkeeping performance from Robert Webb, who came on as a sub, earned Boston their first win of the season.

It wasn't the most interesting of matches at the start, neither side pushing forward with any real malice or danger. The loss of Galley early on was also a blow for Boston, Redmond replacing him. The day got worse when goalkeeper Guonmundsson had to be brought off with an injury, no-one willing to comment why. Outbound Robert Webb took his place.

The second half began with Forest Green dominating the early exchanges and hitting the woodwork twice. But it would be Boston who took the lead. A great piece of play frm Doherty on the right saw him pull inside and cross decently, Annett challenging defender Driver for it, the defender forced into an error and ending up putting it in his own net. But it was to be Webb who would cause the most discomfort for Forest Green, the keeper making three splendid saves to keep Boston in front. Boston plugged on and somehow ground out a win and their first three points of the season, mainly thanks to man of the match Robert Webb.

Having finally kicked off their season, Boston can now aim to push slightly more up the table.

Boston United 1 (Driver OG 61)

Forest Green Rovers 0

Boston Squad; B.Guomundsson, N.Gore, P.Flaherty, J.Buxton, M.Synott, R.Bird, M.Doherty, L.Horsted, G.Williams, T.Annett, M.Galley

Archived