[FM15] 4-2-3-1 tactic help

Hey I'm looking for help in creating a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-4-2 tactic for my Manchester United team.

I've added Sven Bender and Marco Reus to the midfield and attack and I've brought in Peruzzi as a second RB.

I've tried to get the 4-2-3-1 to work with little to no success. I've got a SKa, RFBa CDd CDd LFBs BWMd DLPs RWs APs LWa AFa

I'm set to control setting and fluid. For the home games I usually create a lot of chances but don't convert and away from home I get dominated regardless of opposition

I put the APs to roam from position and left the rest of the player instructions as they are. I've used several different team instructions and it just doesn't seem to work, my striker is either too isolated or he shoots from too far out and on several occasions he has just taken way too many touches for no reason and either been tackled or had to pass because the shooting opportunity had gone.

Also the tactic leaks goals left right and centre and I can't seem to stem the tide.

I could really do with some help in making this tactic better in the attack and stronger in defence.

I'll try getting the 4-4-2 to work after I've made progress with the 4-2-3-1

Hey I'm looking for help in creating a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-4-2 tactic for my Manchester United team.

I've added Sven Bender and Marco Reus to the midfield and attack and I've brought in Peruzzi as a second RB.

I've tried to get the 4-2-3-1 to work with little to no success. I've got a SKa, RFBa CDd CDd LFBs BWMd DLPs RWs APs LWa AFa

I'm set to control setting and fluid. For the home games I usually create a lot of chances but don't convert and away from home I get dominated regardless of opposition

I put the APs to roam from position and left the rest of the player instructions as they are. I've used several different team instructions and it just doesn't seem to work, my striker is either too isolated or he shoots from too far out and on several occasions he has just taken way too many touches for no reason and either been tackled or had to pass because the shooting opportunity had gone.

Also the tactic leaks goals left right and centre and I can't seem to stem the tide.

I could really do with some help in making this tactic better in the attack and stronger in defence.

What I have noticed so far is that The full backs and wide midfielders work better with an auto setting. I would put your RB and LB to auto fullbacks.

I would set your RW and LW to winger support or you may find they work better as WM auto.

I would personally set your "control" setting to Standard.

Your AM would probably work better as an AM support.

Get rid of "higher tempo" as even with the mighty Arsenal play too fast and you lose possession quite a lot.

I wouldn't use fluid as it will exacerbate 'broken team syndrome' - try flexible (as already suggested), put your centre forward on a role that sees him closer to the midfield, turn the ball-winner into just a straightforward 'central midfielder - defend', and try one of the wide players with a non-winger role to create some variation (Reus as a Raumdeuter sounds good to me).

Thanks for the suggestions guys (and any gals who frequent the forum), ive made some changes and got great success (at the moment). I put the LW to IFa with the AP now being an APa. All 4 attacking players are set to direct passing and risky passing if possible. The IF has shoot less often and the AF is now Shoot more often, I also have the LB as a WBau and the RB as a FBau.

TIs are now shorter passing, Higher Tempo, Exploit Right flank and Overlap. Team is set to either Attacking / Flex at home or Standard / Flex away.

I wouldn't use fluid as it will exacerbate 'broken team syndrome' - try flexible (as already suggested), put your centre forward on a role that sees him closer to the midfield, turn the ball-winner into just a straightforward 'central midfielder - defend', and try one of the wide players with a non-winger role to create some variation (Reus as a Raumdeuter sounds good to me).

Considering what ive already said above i may try Reus as a Raumdeuter as well just to try it out, cause he's scoring quite a few by ghosting in at the back post and thats as an IFa so using a Raumdeuter who plays in the space without the ball may just be a winner.

I'm no expert by any means but I'm going to give my insight anyway:

- by far the biggest misconception I see in this forum (and I used to think that too) is that the Ball-winning midfielder is a good role to defend. It is not. The BWM closes down high up the pitch and does not hold his position. So by having this setup with no DM, what you have is a BWM who closes down high up the pitch and a DLP who is the only man to protect the area between the DCs and the CMs;

- by not having DM protection, your MC partnership should be more cautious. Change the BWM to a CMd or a BBM;

- you don't have anyone attacking the area but the AF. The wingers play wide, the APs doesn't attack the area and the MCs don't have attacking roles. Consider changing the AMC role to a more attacking one, or make one of the wingers an inside forward.

I'm no expert by any means but I'm going to give my insight anyway:

- by far the biggest misconception I see in this forum (and I used to think that too) is that the Ball-winning midfielder is a good role to defend. It is not. The BWM closes down high up the pitch and does not hold his position. So by having this setup with no DM, what you have is a BWM who closes down high up the pitch and a DLP who is the only man to protect the area between the DCs and the CMs;

- by not having DM protection, your MC partnership should be more cautious. Change the BWM to a CMd or a BBM;

- you don't have anyone attacking the area but the AF. The wingers play wide, the APs doesn't attack the area and the MCs don't have attacking roles. Consider changing the AMC role to a more attacking one, or make one of the wingers an inside forward.

Thats what i've ended up doing the BWM is now on support (is playing really well) the DLP is now on defend and ive got the AML as a IFa and the AP is an APa as well and the team are doing a hell of a lot better

I use 4-2-3-1 (2 CM, 1RAM, 1CAM, 1LAM)

13 Leagues games in, 12 wins and 1 draw (unlucky and against team 2nd in league). Won all my friendlies, Carling Cup matches and Champions League matches. So around 25 matches, 24 wins 1 draw.

I use the following

WB-S or F. Stay Wider

CD-D close down less

CD-D close down less

WB-S or F. Stay Wider

Roam. Direct Passes, Risky Passes.

DP-S.

IF-S close down more. Sit Narrow

AM-S close down more. Get forward More. Direct Passes

IF-S close down more. Sit Narrow

CF-S Close down much more

Control - Fluid

Higher Defensive Line, Retain Possession, Play Narrow, Play Offside, Early Crosses.

At corners defending.

No men on posts (screws you up I find for near post)

3x Mark Tall

2x Mark small (fullbacks)

1x Zonal

1x Forward

1x Edge of Area

rest GO BACK

Keeper distribute ball to fullbacks.

Twice the goals scored of the second team in league. 44 Goals I think in League, 10 conceded.

Striker has more goals than games played.

Not saying its a great tactic for everyone, but it works for me and might help you form your own.

I find having players on support instead of attack roles brings everyone back to defend, so your compact.

They pass it around a lot, it moves fluidly, goals are not a problem.

edit. Things I tried and discarded because it didn't suite the overall team balance.

Full backs instead of wing backs.

Deep Striker.

Raumadaladingdong winger.

Any AM Central role that doesn't track back. T is not bad though if you need extra attacking.

Defensive midfield duty on the holding midfielder, breaks up your midfield. Better just to DP-S him. IMO.

Things I might try and work more into.

AM as a T with specific man marking.

Poacher instead of CF-S

Tweaking my fullbacks more.

Archived