Get the best out of Wilshere

Hi, in every save I have with Arsenal, and im Arsenal always many seasons and 99% of my FM time since im a Arsenal fan. But every save Wilshere never plays great, he is just... OK. I try Deep Lying Playmaker, box to box and central midfielder. But no matter what he get around 7,0, very few assists and almost 0 goals each season and that is OK, but not good enough I think of a player with his stats. So how do you guess get the best out of him?

So far on FM 15 I had 1 season with Arsenal on the beta as a test save, I won the PL and semi final in CL, but Wilshere was same as FM 14 and the stats I wrote. And now with the full game out I have started a new save, which I hope to have for many many season, and in the pre seasons matches so far he got 6,50 in average. I know its just pre season matches with bad match form, but still the other players perform better. I know he is alot of times..like...3rd last on the ball if you understand, which is good. But still feels he have more to give, and lacks that last thing...

So any tips?

Depends entirely on your tactic. There is no one set way to play to get the best out of anyone. The role you give the player is important but it isn't everything. How the player functions within the team as a whole is what counts...

So for example... If Wilshire is in your team as a player who drives forward from central midfield, getting into the box, then he's probably going to be a goal threat. But, if he sits back and covers the defense more than anything else, he's not going to show up much on your stat sheet (and honestly that wouldn't suit his attributes).

If you've set someone to DLP for instance, but there isn't anyone to pass to, or the tactic doesn't suit a deep playmaker, then it isn't going to help Wilshire. You can't just give players roles that fit them if they dont fit into the system as a whole.

Right now in my Arsenal save I have Jack Wilshire playing mostly as a CM-S in a very fluid 4-4-1-1 system. He's got Ozil ahead of him as a playmaker (the only playmaker in the team), and next to him he has a simple CM-D. Jack's role in the team is a link. So, he brings the ball from central midfield up towards the box, and distributes to the flanks and elsewhere. He links things together. He gets into the box late and scores goals.

That's just one example, but surely you get what I'm driving at?

I think what Jack is good at is bringing the ball forward out of defence by dribbling and the ability to keep possession via accurate short passing. The problem he has in both the Arsenal and England setup is he is being asked to do something he is not. If you want to get the best out of him I would say to set him as a Roaming Playmaker with a dedicated DM behind him. However this does mean you will need to think about what to do with Ramsey and Ozil.

• 2 weeks later...
Play him on the left as IF-A. Has worked for me in most tactics. 15+ goals and assists.
4-2-3-1, control, fluid. Supporting left-back, 2 x CBs (X-C / D-D), supporting right-back, BBM LCM, defensive role RCM. Supporting CAM, supporting winger, poacher.
Regista with play it shorter and dribble more.

Jack - this isn't helpful. You need to explain why you recommend something - so - if a Regista works well, explain why - e.g. "he has a lot of deep space to exploit with his passing and I find he attacks the space in front of him well when in possession too" - that kind of thing, so people can understand why you had success.

Archived