4-2-3-1 wide

Hi i just wondered if people could help me with my tactic after a good early start to the season when i was keeping it tight at the back and scoring freely i'm now struggling to score or keep a clean sheet. Most of my goals conceded come from crosses into the box and failing to defend corners. Although i have noticed a lot of 35 yard screamers going in as well. i go witha control mentality and a structured shape. My team instructions are more direct passing, shoot on sight, close down more, get stuck in, prevent gk distribution, more expressive and higher tempo. My positions are as follows:

GK

Complete wing back - attack

Central defender - stopper

Central Defender - cover

Ball winning midfielder - defend

Deep lying playmaker - support

Winger - Support

Winger - Attack

Advanced playmaker - attack

Advanced forward - Attack

If you think there are any things that you would change or tweak any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

1) You have very attacking wing-backs and wingers on both flanks. Both players will try to do the same thing: get to the byline and cross. There's little point in having two players on the same flank trying to do the same thing. Add some variety by either using regular full-backs, or inside forwards, or whatever else you can think of :)

2) You dont have proper defensive support in central midfield. You play with two central midfielders and between them, they'll be responsible for guarding the area in front of your centre-backs. If this area isnt covered properly, teams are gonna walk straight through it and make it very difficult for your centre-backs. A ball winning midfielder, even on defend duty, will focus mainly on leaving his position to close down. A deep lying playmaker is more focused on just staying in position, but you're using a support duty. Try to make sure you use at least one central midfielder tasked with just holding position. This is particularly important when you use two extremely attacking wingbacks as you do.

It is only now that I read that you concede a lot from crosses, which stems directly from my point 2), and that you concede a lot from 35 yard screamers, which comes directly from my point 1) :)

I think reading the sticky about pairs & combinations will give you some fantastic insight as to what roles you should use throughout your team and how to combine them. Definately worth a read if you're looking for some pointers!

edit: shoot on sight encourages long shots, which typically have a low chance of going in. I wouldnt suggest using that shout as a default, only when you're in general just really struggling to get shots off during a particular match. Direct passing is most usefull with quick and or/strong physical players up front. Particularly if you dont have a midfield with the technical ability to create proper chances. Direct passing will often skip your midfield to get the ball straight to your front players. Aks yourself what type of players you have and who you want to get the ball in order to create changes and who you want in the box to finish chances.

Thanks for your input guys I'll try and adopt this to my tactic just a quick thought instead of playing with wingers would having two raudementors or one raudementor and an inside forward have an adverse effect? I like my wife men to contribute to scoring and assisting and ive played with one raudementor before and was very successful

Hi i just wondered if people could help me with my tactic after a good early start to the season when i was keeping it tight at the back and scoring freely i'm now struggling to score or keep a clean sheet. Most of my goals conceded come from crosses into the box and failing to defend corners. Although i have noticed a lot of 35 yard screamers going in as well. i go witha control mentality and a structured shape. My team instructions are more direct passing, shoot on sight, close down more, get stuck in, prevent gk distribution, more expressive and higher tempo. My positions are as follows:

GK

Central defender - stopper

Central Defender - cover

Ball winning midfielder - defend

Deep lying playmaker - support

Winger - Support

Winger - Attack

Advanced playmaker - attack

Advanced forward - Attack

If you think there are any things that you would change or tweak any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I'm playing similar tactic. Only my MC's are set to DM strata so it looks like this:

Standard - Flexible

TI: shorter passing,play out of defence,work ball into the box,push higher up,be more expressive,prevent gk distribution

GK - sweeper keeper/D

DR - Wing back/S

DC - cen.defender/D

DC - cen.defender/D

DL - complete wing back/A

DMR - def.midfielder/D

DML - deep lying plym/S

AMR - winger/A

AMC - adv.playmaker/A

AML - inside forward/S

ST - advanced fwd/A

I'm happy how it works for now..sometimes I'll make AMS to support role, or play control with retain possesion..depends.

Archived