Attacking/Defending Corners with Midgets

I'm wondering if anyone has worked out good set piece routines or has any advice regarding set pieces.

Specifically, I'm playing as Chelsea, and my only tall players on the pitch are generally my Striker, 2 Centerbacks, and a DM. The rest of my players are generally small.

Defensive Corners:

I tell the 2 CBs to mark tall players, the 2 FBs to stand on near/far posts, a playmaker to stay on the edge of the area, and a winger (hazard) to stay forward. Everyone else is told to go back. This works reasonably well, as the high winger makes the opposing team stay honest and helps to relieve pressure. I do still concede on corners fairly often though given the size of my team.

Attacking Corners:

Here I have 2 CBs on near/far post, STR on challenge keeper, winger on offer short option, playmaker on lurk on edge of area, a long shot taker on attack ball from deep, DM and both fullbacks always stay back while the rest are told to go into the box. I don't score directly off corners that often, but I find that this setup gives possession back to me quickly more often than not, or sometimes someone will smack in a loose ball from range after a poor clearance.

They seem like intelligent routines. As Arsenal I get Olivier Giroud marking the 6 yard box, and he frequently makes several clearances from corners, free from the responsibility of marking an individual. As for attacking corners I always favour swinging it in to the near post and getting Koscielny or Mertesacker attacking the ball.

Archived