Évian Thonon Gaillard- Pink is the new Black

nickkos18

At the start of the 2014-15 Ligue 1 season, little known Australian manager Nick Hiller was asked to take over Évian Thonon Gaillars, after the club parted ways with incumbent Pascal Dupraz. The club hope to achieve a lower mid-table finish with their new man in charge...

dW0W2LH.jpg[/img]

Reasons for Choosing Évian

Initially for this save, i thought about taking charge of my hometown club, Brisbane Roar, but decided against this because i didn't think i could keep the series interesting for too long, in the 10 team A-League, which does not yet involve a promotion/relegation system. Another candidate was Crystal Palace, my favourite side in England, but i know the team well through fifa, and also wanted to try something other than the EPL.

Club Background

ÉTG came into its current state in 2003 as a merger of several smaller sides and has enjoyed significant recent success, culminating in a 9th place finish in their first season in the French top flight. While the team is from Évian and Thonon-les-Bains, they play their game in nearby Annecy, at the Parc des Sports, also home to feeder club and rival Annecy FC. The club is affiliated with Ukrainian powerhouse Dynamo Kyiv, and we are allowed to take players on loan without having to pay their wages, which could prove to be handy. Our two feeder clubs are the previously mentioned Annecy and FC Nivolet, both of which deals giving us preference to their (preferably young and talented) players.

The Squad

The squad is quite solid in general and is accentuated by terrific players such as Milos Ninković, Cédric Mongongou and Daniel Wass, who is capable of playing almost anywhere on the pitch. Areas that lack depth are the Left Back, Defensive Midfield and Attacking Midfield and these are areas i will obviously looking to strengthen over the transfer window. A priority for me in my tenure at Évian is to nurture young French talent, my target being to have 6 of the preferred starting 11 french players (i am a bot OCD about having players from the club that i am managing's nation).

WbLyaol.jpg[/img]

Pre-season results coming soon!

Thanks and Stay tuned for more!

Pre-Season Results and Analysis

bEcV2jB.jpg

vs Lask Linz 1-1

It was absolute domination for us as we cruised through much of the first half before conceding a shock own goal to centre-back Aldo Angoula. We eventually recovered from the shock to equalize through Fabien Camus, after a rocket of a cross from Clarck N'Sikulu was slotted in calmly by the Tunisian. Disappointing result, especially given we had 12 shots to our opponent's 1.

vs Admira Wacker Mödling 0-1

A far more even game which was won by young forward Thomas Gösweiner after some lacklustre marking by Cédric Mongongou allowed him to finish into the bottom corner in the 19th minute. We didn't really threaten after this, surrendering quite meekly to the side who are predicted to finish last in the Austrian top flight. Quite concerning.

vs Middlesbrough 1-1

We started well and our sustained pressure resulted in a 45th minute goal to Marseille loanee Modou Sogou. A delightful ball over the top from Rudy Haddad found veteran Cédric Barbosa who slipped a cross in behind the defence for Sougou to slam home. We backed off a bit in the second period, but were devastated by a late own goal when Kassim Abdallah accidentally headed past his keeper.

vs Reading 1-2

We were under fire by Reading early and this climaxed in lax defending and Anton Ferdinand's finish in the 23rd minute. We scored through a lucky hit off Michael Hector from a corner midway through the 1st half. We were undone by an own goal yet again, when Jesper Hansen juggled a corner and the ball crossed the line. Frustrating

vs Atlético Madrid 1-0

Finally, the performance i was looking for as we executed a perfect smash and grab to defeat the Spaniards in France. Periods of pressure finally paid off in the 79th minute as Cédric Barbosa ghosted into the far post to head home a bullet of a cross by Daniel Wass, shocking the Spanish Champions. Encouraging signs heading into the main game.

August and Start of Season Update coming tomorrow. I might be posting a couple of updates tomorrow because its a public holiday here thanks to the G20 summit :eek:

Stay tuned!

Archived