3 Man Defence

Hi all!Currently sat on the train home with my steam activation code in my wallet ready to get stuck into FM this afternoon. Gutted that this will be the first game in about 15 years that I don't actually have the disc but that's off topic...Just a quick question, has anyone ever found or currently using a tactic employing 3 defenders, with or without the use of wing backs? I tried in vain to produce such a tactic on FM14 but I failed badly! I want to try and avoid my usual 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-4 as some call it, purely for experimental purposes and tactical variation!If anyone has any tips on a slim line defence please let me know!

3 at the back didn't always do so well in FM14 - much better balanced now in 15.

Basically you have 3 ways to set it up. Pick your central defender roles based on their distribution, and the duty affects their marking & tackling behaviour.

So you can have a flat back 3 (I'm ignoring wing backs etc) - with Defend-Defend-Defend, or, you can choose to close down the wide men, leaving 2 men over in the centre still to deal with any crosses, Stopper-Cover-Stopper, or, you can choose to close down the centre and funnel play out into the flanks by using; Cover-Stopper-Cover - which has limited use if you play a DM as the Stopper defender will get into the same space as the DM.

Thanks for the input guys! Yes I did see that thread posted after I had posted mine! Should have read the forum closer!

I like the idea of using them to funnel the play into certain areas, which obviously can be altered depending on where the rest of yours or your opponents stregths and weaknesses are.

I Started pre-season with a 3-5-2 formation but struggled to keep any possession and was cut open on around the back with easy crossing oppotunities for the opposition, leading to annoying frustrating simple goals being conceeded. I think being Worcester City in the Conference north didnt aid this formation as the players simply dont have the ability to adapt to it well, thats my opinion anyway.

I reverted back to the 4-2-4 which has lead me to 4 wins and drawn in the opening 5 league games... goals galore (for and against!) but thats lower league football for you. I am going to work on the 3-5-2 or a variation of it as it is definitly something I want my Worcester team to use, perhaps if I manager to get into League football!

I have had a lot of success with a 3-5-2 which involves 3 centre backs, wing backs and no DM but 2 midfielders and an AMC. I tend to use it against any teams with two up front and no AMC- such as a 4-4-2. Working really well. The three at the back are a cover-stopper-cover style which works well with what I am trying to do by controlling to game. Use a BPD as well

I have been using a very similar style to Mcmuffin above, from what it sounds like. The problem I notice (well, more of an area for improvement than a problem), is that the 3 CBs just sit behind the ball and contribute little when we have possession in good areas except a route for an escaping backpass, and then we have to basically reset and lose all the ground we've made up.

If there is nobody to mark back there and we have reliable possession, I want one of these guys to step forward into the deep midfield area and be more involved in the buildup and triangular passing structures. Mind you, I'm already playing press high up, so they stand around midfield but don't really link up with meaningful passing.

If you're having the same thought, check out this thread where I explained this problem and discussions of halfbacks, liberos, or just ball playing midfielders.

Archived