How to prevent runs behind your fullbacks and dominate

I have been asking for weeks and did not really get much help from most people here. Sometimes they start talking and then my thread gets cold. 2014 is my first FM. Here are the tips

1 You need a Limited Fullback in your team

2 Check your team report, do you conceed goals from the right wing or left wing. Opponents will exploit it

3 Use defensive winger role,limited fullback on your weaker side and auto assign the other roles.

I have been very frustrated by this game but I am the German Defending Champion with St Pauli. I lost 2-1 to Barcelona( Why doesnt Messi Retire haha)

Now if only I can win a European Competition Haha

How does your team play offensively with such a defensive flank? Do you notice much deficiency, or do you find it still offers an attacking threat?

I think its a big misconception to think that defend duty means a player wont attack.

I won that game 4-1 with a limited full back.

And Standard or above is the better mentality unless you have the best defenders in the world who dont get tired.

I tried another experiment with WB sent to defend duty

I also tried automatic WB and beat Bayern 5-3

I could have avoided two goals

One I conceeded because my CB was exhausted and the other because I switched mentality to Counter.

Also get a player with a long bullet throw or at least train your players. Its a very useful preferred move.

Defensive Wingers stay high up the pitch, so the Defend duty is actually deceitful

And for General Training: Set to Tactics indefinitely

For match training Tactics or Team work. Best advice '>here :

General Training

Match Training

Well a Limited Full Back is not designed to attack, so I wouldn't call it a misconception.

Isn't a Limited Fullback a positioned geared towards a guy who is lacking the necessary skills to be a complete defender? For example, one of your starting defender lacks a lot of valuable skills, so you stick him with the limited defender role so that he only focuses on his strengths, rather than jeopardizing the rest of the team by putting yourself in a position where you are greatly out matched?

And therefore, it is a waste if you put a good defender as a limited defender? You are not utilizing his other skills and abilities, right?

I just always thought the limited defender role is more of a dumb'd down position for the inferiors. So, no point in using it when you are in a top flight league since even your worst starting defender can handle more than a limited role.

Well I cant say I am 100% right but I had the same thinking as you and decided to use a Wing Back set to automatic and beat Barcelona which requires less skills than even a Limited full back. A Limited full back still needs a lot of skills.

A Limited Full Back can obviously do a great job at his role - but is just that - Limited. After all, many fundamentally limited players have still been successful in football, because they possess a few important attributes which raise them above their peers.

A Limited Full Back can obviously do a great job at his role - but is just that - Limited. After all, many fundamentally limited players have still been successful in football, because they possess a few important attributes which raise them above their peers.

Oh i know. Never said they couldn't do their would amazingly. Just saying, it is pointless to be a great full back into the limited role because you are wasting the rest of his abilities. So, there is no need to ever use the limited role unless that person is very good at defending but very back at supporting and attacking, right? So, it is not so much that a limited full back role fits a tactic, but more so, the limited full back role fits a specific type of place. Whether you have that type of player on the field determines if you use the limited role or just the normal full back role. That is how I saw it.

Oh i know. Never said they couldn't do their would amazingly. Just saying, it is pointless to be a great full back into the limited role because you are wasting the rest of his abilities. So, there is no need to ever use the limited role unless that person is very good at defending but very back at supporting and attacking, right? So, it is not so much that a limited full back role fits a tactic, but more so, the limited full back role fits a specific type of place. Whether you have that type of player on the field determines if you use the limited role or just the normal full back role. That is how I saw it.

You are right but the advice from most guides is that you should have a good defensive fullback in your team, hence a Limited fullback but looking at the attributes, a Wing back at the Defender role requires less attributes

Look at Chelsea in their golden years and also now

Ivanonic is a Limited Fullback

Ashley Cole the offensive fullback

You are right but the advice from most guides is that you should have a good defensive fullback in your team, hence a Limited fullback but looking at the attributes, a Wing back at the Defender role requires less attributes

Well, I won't necessarily agree with that statement; I never use the limited role because it's limited. Even with crap players, if I have a strong middle (DM, two solid CBs) I want my Fbs to get attacky-ish. There is a risk true, but I don't say that is entirely necessary. It depends on your formation and what you want out of your team.

Well, I won't necessarily agree with that statement; I never use the limited role because it's limited. Even with crap players, if I have a strong middle (DM, two solid CBs) I want my Fbs to get attacky-ish. There is a risk true, but I don't say that is entirely necessary. It depends on your formation and what you want out of your team.

Like I said I tried it and conceeded only a goal. I prefer using automatic wing backs. It was the better trade off. I dont really need my fullbacks to attack. I prefer creative midfielders and with the bullet throw I take another attacking threat there.

Always prefer wing backs playing on support, personally. They get up the pitch a bit but usually only one at a time, and most of the time in the attacking phase they sit around or behind the middle of the opposing half, in a position to either break forwards on the overlap or drop back and defend. Because they tend to have lots of pace it's a nice balance and gives two additional "outballs" for recycling a move that's in danger of breaking down.

Always prefer wing backs playing on support, personally. They get up the pitch a bit but usually only one at a time, and most of the time in the attacking phase they sit around or behind the middle of the opposing half, in a position to either break forwards on the overlap or drop back and defend. Because they tend to have lots of pace it's a nice balance and gives two additional "outballs" for recycling a move that's in danger of breaking down.

Thanks will try that

Look at Chelsea in their golden years and also now

Ivanonic is a Limited Fullback

Ashley Cole the offensive fullback

I disagree that Ivanovic plays in a limited fashion.

Archived