Touch line team talks usefull or useless?

Touchline team talks usefull or useless?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Touchline team talks usefull or useless?

• Usefull
    • Useless
    • Dont know/care

So what does everyone else think of this new feature personally i think its useless i have tried using it many times and seen no effect what so ever it feels like to me it is kind of useless and something after a while i just stopped bothering with, also alot of the options seem like tactical instructions rather then team talks so does this mean it affects your tactics or not personally i am not sure but anyway what does everyone else think?

I only really use them after I've scored (concentrate) and when I've conceded (demand more/tighten up/push forward). Then possibly towards the end of a game when chasing a

goal/defending a lead. No idea if they actually work though! Just do it out of habit now.

I dont think they have a massive effect on the game, often wondered if like the general team talks if its just a placebo effect.

However if you have a player that is nervous ect ect you can say you have faith in him ect ect and it should calm him down. So i guess it can work for individual players

I dont think they have a massive effect on the game, often wondered if like the general team talks if its just a placebo effect.

However if you have a player that is nervous ect ect you can say you have faith in him ect ect and it should calm him down. So i guess it can work for individual players

I've yet to fix nerves or complacency with the match talks.

The right press conference, right pre-match team talk, right this, right that and you end up with your guys performing % better than without it.

While that may be the difference between winning or losing, it's really hard to see and feel, even if you save before a match and keep reloading, there is still enough randomness in the engine, you can win the match, while doing most thing wrong and loss while doing it all right.

I use them out of habit though I've never seen them have much effect, I don't think a player being nervous is necessarily a negative anyway although I'd like to stop the boys getting complacent. If I'm chasing a goal I change my formation or instructions first and then perhaps tell the lads to push forward, though being a goal down with 10 minutes left and 4 up top I'd like to think it was pretty obvious. Assume it's just for show, a bit like the "add additional comments" in the press conference which makes me chuckle. When I play the game I pretend I'm at press conferences or standing on the touch line, so it's a nice touch to bark orders or swear at the press, even if it makes no difference to the game itself it makes me feel like a real manager.

The feature isn't just for show. Don't expect it to drastically affect your players though. Not even "normal" team talk, when you have their full attention, have drastic effects.

In all probability, the Touchline Team Talks will have lesser effect, but it isn't for show. That much I do know.

The feature isn't just for show. Don't expect it to drastically affect your players though. Not even "normal" team talk, when you have their full attention, have drastic effects.

In all probability, the Touchline Team Talks will have lesser effect, but it isn't for show. That much I do know.

The main question to me is whether we HAVE to use them for top performance? I.e. can we safely ignore them and be as fine as we were before the option existed (i.e. any effect would only be positive/negative, depending on our choice of shout, on top of what we had before) or will there be any kind of penalty for not using touchline shouts (e.g. with a rationale along the lines of: this happens irl and the team will feel left alone if the manager doesn't instruct them during the match as well)?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

You wont need to use them for every game, they are just there for an extra option for trying to get more out of your players. I may be making it up in my head, but i have certainly seen a change when using some of them, and other times i havent, which is what i would expect. I make use of them in games when i feel they are required, and i leave them in others where i dont feel they are needed. I wouldnt say i have won or lost games because of using them, or not using them.

You wont need to use them for every game, they are just there for an extra option for trying to get more out of your players. I may be making it up in my head, but i have certainly seen a change when using some of them, and other times i havent, which is what i would expect. I make use of them in games when i feel they are required, and i leave them in others where i dont feel they are needed. I wouldnt say i have won or lost games because of using them, or not using them.

It will, as with all features, be heavily dependant on the state of mind.

"Push forward!" you shout...

And your lads net in the 99th minute injury time!

It worked! Hot damn! I love this feature.

Don't score though?

"hmm... does it work, I wonder... hmmm!"

Confirmation bias will be there of course, but I think it's going to be such a subtle feature that 9/10 we're not going to be sure if it has any effect. And we all know, people hate the unknown! :)

The main question to me is whether we HAVE to use them for top performance? I.e. can we safely ignore them and be as fine as we were before the option existed (i.e. any effect would only be positive/negative, depending on our choice of shout, on top of what we had before) or will there be any kind of penalty for not using touchline shouts (e.g. with a rationale along the lines of: this happens irl and the team will feel left alone if the manager doesn't instruct them during the match as well)?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

As much as I like team talks, I don't even use touchline team talks. I'm doing perfectly fine. You don't have to use it at all. Obviously, by using it you could stand to gain or lose more than not using it, but the same goes for everything else in FM.

Okay thought about creating a post with regards to this new addition and behold someone beat me to the punch :)

I have found this to be totally useless so far and no matter how much I try to give the player a boost or a kick up the backside it fails!

Now is it a case of miss-management on my part or is the concept flawed?

• SI Staff
Maybe a word from SI if this is true? Or how small the effect actually is?

Nope, it's not just for show. There are effects from the touchline team talks that are present in the match, but since there are so many factors involved under the hood in the mental state etc. of the player, it would be very hard to assess when something has been a direct result of a given touchline talk, what has been partially influenced by one and what has happened regardless of you giving a touchline talk or not.

We may look into ways of portraying this more clearly thru the body language of the player sometime in the future but other than that, there is very little in real life you can do to assess the results of one individual shout from the sidelines. Like was already mentioned in the thread, sometimes it happens that your team scores right after a shout and instantly feel it was the shout that did it, other times you may end up wondering if your shouting makes any difference if things don't go down well on the pitch. Just like in real life.

Edit: And no, you are not punished for not using them. You can either help your team by doing them or you can cause a negative effect with some choices. The AI managers use touchline talks as well depending on the situation, so it all depends on a lot of factors. Sometimes it can be the final thing that clinches that crucial performance for your team, sometimes you can get by without shouting any abuse from the touchline.

I use it mainly because I have faith that it actually does something, even if it's not immediately obvious, and it's pretty clear from the body language feedback you get and the description of the talks which to use and when. I use concentrate when I've built up a 2+ goal lead and my guys look like they're letting off the gas, calm down when they look angry or frustrated, push forward when I absolutely need a goal, etc. Sometimes you can kinda tell. There's been a couple times where I felt like my guys sorta regained control of the pace of the game when I've used concentrate.

I've seen a player I've singled out go from looking furious to not by using "calm down" and another go from looking nervous to not by using "no pressure." But it's correlation not causation. In general I feel it's kind of hard to discern what it's boosting. Doesn't stop me from Assertively shouting "Tighten Up" in the dying moments of 1-0 away games, though.

I also use "Calm — Concentrate" a lot after I've just scored.

If you are rubbish at team talks then they will be useless, if you are a super motivator then they will be worthwhile. If your tactics are sit hot then you may not need them.

FM's team meetings used to be a minefield and to be used as a last resort in an attempt to arrest a slide and never if you were doing well as the risk of them having a negative affect was too great. Hopefully this introduction will see increased interaction between managers and players that a true Football manager will have.

Nope, it's not just for show. There are effects from the touchline team talks that are present in the match, but since there are so many factors involved under the hood in the mental state etc. of the player, it would be very hard to assess when something has been a direct result of a given touchline talk, what has been partially influenced by one and what has happened regardless of you giving a touchline talk or not.

We may look into ways of portraying this more clearly thru the body language of the player sometime in the future but other than that, there is very little in real life you can do to assess the results of one individual shout from the sidelines. Like was already mentioned in the thread, sometimes it happens that your team scores right after a shout and instantly feel it was the shout that did it, other times you may end up wondering if your shouting makes any difference if things don't go down well on the pitch. Just like in real life.

Edit: And no, you are not punished for not using them. You can either help your team by doing them or you can cause a negative effect with some choices. The AI managers use touchline talks as well depending on the situation, so it all depends on a lot of factors. Sometimes it can be the final thing that clinches that crucial performance for your team, sometimes you can get by without shouting any abuse from the touchline.

Fair play thanks for the response it is always gratifying to see si staff respond to these kind of posts, although I do understand why you can't it as often as I'm sure you would like.

I do use them when I feel my team need a kick up the proverbial. But would be nice if these instructions yielded an effect on the body language like team talks. then you better gauge the effect, see who responded to what in what way, and then make subs changes accordingly.

I've had some success using them. My biggest win (Chelsea 8-1 West Brom) I credit with the touchline talk. I demanded more from them and told them to push forward after we bagged 5 in the first half and let one during the second. I applied the teamtalk around 70/75 mins and we got the extra 3. It certainly seemed to have an effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I say its useful playing liv 4-3-3 3cental strikers at overload fluid

Liv vs Bayern uefa cup home I ordered everyone to tackle hard and show weaker foot in case wild robben appears. You cant have well oiled machine if your players are injured (jibe intended german tanks) Back to the match I assertively encourage players after 20 or so minutes I ask to show more passion aggressively...cout,lucas,flanagan,sakho all got yelow carded but muller lewandoski ribery and alonso all got slight injured. The last 10 minutes of first half i shouted to get more creative and a long ball from sakho (pass shorter P.I.) reached sturidge and scored. Second half I ordered everyone to calm down few minutes later show more creative Henderson get one from a cross from flanagan won me 2 nil

I have had on several occasions where i have assertively demanded more and get creative from key players in certain game situations namely strikers and attacking mids and who have then gone on to score within 5 or 10 minutes of giving the talk, now whether this is coincidence or not who knows.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter if it makes a 10% difference or a 0.000001% difference - each tiny good thing you do adds up to winning.

You could always not bother with setting training properly, not bother to tutor young players to get the best out of them, don't bother with teamtalks, let your assistant talk to the media, hire a DoF to sign all your players, don't bother to get players to learn beneficial PPMs or unlearn useless or detrimental ones for their role, don't bother with player instructions to sandpaper away those weaknesses and sharpen your team's strengths... just if you get sacked in November, then seriously, don't come onto the forums and complain. ;)

• SI Staff
The way I see it, it doesn't matter if it makes a 10% difference or a 0.000001% difference - each tiny good thing you do adds up to winning.

Every little helps :) The whole game is about making choices and all of those choices add up to what ends up happening in the game.

I generally use it to balance out some morale issues that might appear during the game.

For example if I see a player being "angry" or even "furious" I tell him to calm down. It usually helps.

Also if I see someone being "complacent" I tell him to concentrate.

• 2 months later...

In some matches I rarely if at all see any effects on mental state/body language of my players.

In other matches I've seen "Calm Down" affect players that seem frustrated/angry.

I have also noticed that "Push Forward" seems to give more chances in some matches - (which I tend to use if still level 15 minutes to go of the match)

But mostly, out of habit I tend to use "Concentrate" 1-2 times per match, whenever I score, or when I notice opposition change up their style.

It might not have a huge impact, but it does have some.

Any future addition to the match engine and body language to tell us managers some more about impact would be greatly appriciated SI.

• 1 year later...

They do have affect on players and sometimes on bigger and sometimes on smaller scale. Sometimes it can prove decisive, but sometimes it can have a lot smaller effect. I can give you an one example:

Player who has amazing off the ball movement, anticipation, decisions and playing as raumdeuter would naturally be in constant search for space. He also has amazing workrate (to work hard to find the space) and has good determination which I personally also find important when it comes to finding space (maybe even concentration). So as you can see, he has the ability to effectively find space and he also has good PPM's (at least not the ones that can contrast what is expected of him). The issue wasn't the lack of space but the fact the he was so static in his movement (body language was composed), and everyone else was playing good around him. Also, he wasn't marked out of the game and his mental and technical ability was beyond opponent's defensive ability. So no issue there. Also his rating was dropped down't to 6.5 so I knew it's only down to him just being freakin' lazy (and btw his personality is professional). So I reluctantly asked from him to work harder (why reluctant tone? well I imagined in in my head like this: " C'mon man , you're good, you're professional, but do I seriously have to f**** remind you to act like one??". That was 20th (+ something) minute and after that his body language was the same but I saw after a few minutes that his movement was much better. After the game I was sure that his performance wasn't down to pre-match talk, because if it was negative, it would had effect to at least one or two more players. And then, I realized that his good form and praise in press conf. after previous game caused complacency in him even though there was no any clear sign of it. Sometimes you ass man will indicate this before the game, but as you know complacency is sometimes really hard to spot just like IRL.

Archived