Preston North End. Lawrensen, Beckham, Moyes..... Wilson

Jonno Wilson

Since Preston North End were the first ever Top Division Title winners, it's time to transform the North End into a major force in English football again.

8Lyprof.png

u2ODUhI.png

Made a couple of decent free signings to bolster a very good League 1 squad. Fulop is a great 'keeper for League 1 and Ezequiel was an absolute steal. Raw pace, very good at dribbling and only young. Flogged a couple of players who don't feature in my plans and hopefully will follow that up with a couple more.

Ec2JywL.png

23aSNDR.png

Time to play some matches

2014-2015

The media predict we will finish in 4th place, so in my first season I will be content with a top 6 finish, but of course with the acquisitions I managed to sort out I would like to think we will finish slightly higher. With quite a small squad though, I will need a bit of luck with injuries.

So the first job, tie Bailey Wright down for the next 5 seasons. This guy has the potential to be a Premier League defender, so it's important I keep him for our journey.

VQinGW3.png

So my first few games have been mixed. I lost Joey Garner, Preston's best player to a 4 week injury straight away. Kevin Davies then soon followed for the next 3 weeks, leaving me very short in the attacking options. Two good league wins set us off well, but a disastrous early exit from the Capitol One Cup on penalties happened. It was a battle to keep players match fit during these opening 3-4 games.

jihZzjF.png

Sadly we went on a 4 game drawing streak followed by a defeat! One particularly dissapointing game saw us mount a very credible two-goal comeback, only for Gallagher to miss a penalty in the 92nd minute to snatch all 3 points and take us top.

X5shAxX.png

One other player I had been tracking was Savic, a tough Serbian CB. I'm hoping he can form a good partnership with Bailey Wright.

sZQJWnF.png

Couple that with the news that Super Joey Garner was back from his injury, and I'm hoping I can finally get my season up and running. I need to get Garner fit and scoring.

FlV94AH.png

Its been a mixed season.

Sat in 3rd place for a while, but injuries to Bailey Wright, Ezequiel and Savic amongst others cost me dear. The diamond started to falter BIG TIME. We went on a really bad run of games, winning only 1 in 14... see below. It lead to me nearly getting the sack.

uIVQQ35.png

The board dragged me into a meeting and DEMANDED 9 points from my next FIVE games.... What will happen next?

2014 -2015 Review: A Sluggish Start to the Return to Glory

wmpymOf.png

So its the end to a dissapointing season. A few things I've learnt about the PNE squad. It's lacking creative wingers, and strikers. Joey Garner is the only permanent striker we have that can play week in week out. Kevin Davies is pretty ineffectual even from the bench. I would throw him on with 25 minutes to go and I think he bagged about 2 goals all season. He started a fair few times too. Paul Gallagher (on loan from Leicester) partnered Garner for the majority of the season.

Wingers too, I had Ezequiel and fellow free signing Luke Mulholland (who incidentally is my friends brother in real life), who I brought in from the MLS. They were my wingers who played most weeks.

I will also be on the look out for a left back and right back. Woods and Clarke just didn't perform well enough for me.

4hMhdeE.png

This was easily my best run of the season, surging from 10th to 4th. Sadly the first and last parts of the season were very poor. I got manager of the month during this period, we were on fire.

The best result of the season came on the last day however, beating Colchester who were Champions on 95 points, 3-0 away from home.

Qwa9Ne2.png

So objectives for next season:

Get as close as I can to bringing in LB, RB, RM, ST, ST

Have some better cup runs

Get into the playoffs

Archived