Home ground, doomed to lose...

Hi, I am Nottingham Forest and fight to get promotion to BPL in season 1. And im the best team in the league on away matches, but 15th best team home. I dominates the matches att home with alot of chances and possesion. But my players miss everything, and by that I mean EVERYTHING. Like the match now, 0-4 defeat against Blackburn, 4goals from corners and free kicks and that was there only shots in the game. And on away matches I never conced goals on free kicks/corners almost. So I feel quite doomed to lose on my home matches...

And I thought first maybe it is tactic problem since the teams will counter more on my homeground, but when I play verygood, almost every match i have 55-65% possesion and alot of chances, and the onlcy chances I see from the AI is on counter attack with a cross that ends up in the goal even if the cross sucks, or corner kick/free kick...

CeviYMs.jpg

That is kind of the base tactic. And I make some changes to what team I meat, speccialy att home where I go over to short passing to try and controll the match more.

So im 4th in the league now, will get play off place. So the tactic works good on away since im the best team in the league there, its home thats the only problem...

OK so i read your original post again and it definitely seems as though your match training wants to be on def set pieces, and maybe raise the percentage a bit. How do you watch games? I normally watch the full match and if my team goes on the back foot a little then i change tactics.

Just a couple of things about the line up. Hobbs is an absolute beast at defending from corners. He's huge, strong, good at marking and heading, you definitely want him in your team IMO.

Also Cohen is a better LB than Harding and Vaughan does great in midfield.

If you are struggling to break the other team down at home and you're dominating the game, just drop a bit deeper to encourage the opposition forwards to allow more room. Your midfield is dominating home matches, right? Are your players struggling to get through on goal? Are your team exploiting the flanks like they should be? I would highly recommend switching Fryatt out for Antonio, and then switching him with Assombalonga. Assombalonga is absolutely deadly in this game once he gets in scoring form. Antonio has real pace to get in behind.

Burke's really good at crossing, if you are struggling for goals at home.

With Assombalonga up front if you set crosses to low he's got really good anticipation and acceleration and very often gets in front of defenders.

Generally, i think your tactics seem good. Have you tried playing defensive possession at home, instead of attacking more? I always use 4-1-4-1 DM at home and just keep the ball. then throughout the game just carefully adjust my tactics to get more and more attacking as the team gets used to keeping the ball.

One other thing, if you're playing possession make sure the tempo is low enough that the players can keep the ball properly, and then i think its just a case of trying out a few different things and seeing if any of it works. Touchline team talks can be useful too. Tell your team to tighten up if you are worried that the opposition are going to score. I think this increases the work rate of the defenders substantially (they seem to tire fast when i use this anyway).

OK so i read your original post again and it definitely seems as though your match training wants to be on def set pieces, and maybe raise the percentage a bit. How do you watch games? I normally watch the full match and if my team goes on the back foot a little then i change tactics.

Just a couple of things about the line up. Hobbs is an absolute beast at defending from corners. He's huge, strong, good at marking and heading, you definitely want him in your team IMO.

Also Cohen is a better LB than Harding and Vaughan does great in midfield.

If you are struggling to break the other team down at home and you're dominating the game, just drop a bit deeper to encourage the opposition forwards to allow more room. Your midfield is dominating home matches, right? Are your players struggling to get through on goal? Are your team exploiting the flanks like they should be? I would highly recommend switching Fryatt out for Antonio, and then switching him with Assombalonga. Assombalonga is absolutely deadly in this game once he gets in scoring form. Antonio has real pace to get in behind.

Burke's really good at crossing, if you are struggling for goals at home.

With Assombalonga up front if you set crosses to low he's got really good anticipation and acceleration and very often gets in front of defenders.

Generally, i think your tactics seem good. Have you tried playing defensive possession at home, instead of attacking more? I always use 4-1-4-1 DM at home and just keep the ball. then throughout the game just carefully adjust my tactics to get more and more attacking as the team gets used to keeping the ball.

One other thing, if you're playing possession make sure the tempo is low enough that the players can keep the ball properly, and then i think its just a case of trying out a few different things and seeing if any of it works. Touchline team talks can be useful too. Tell your team to tighten up if you are worried that the opposition are going to score. I think this increases the work rate of the defenders substantially (they seem to tire fast when i use this anyway).

Thanks for answer!

I use Fryatt since he is the top scorer in the league, and Assombalonga is the 3rd top scorer and alot of assist as a winger. And Hobbs never played good for me so I got Maguire on loan from Hull, since he is also strong and good with the head, and have really got controll over my defance, but he is now injured. And the next match is the play off semifinal, start att away fortunately....But needs work on the tactic for the home match, one more season i Championship is not to tempting :p

And if I droop deeper att home I normaly dont create much chanses, and get a draw maybe or loose on corner/free kick or counter.

And I watch the match with Extended.

And nomatter what I do on defensive corners they will score. If I defend every corner and wins the duel, they will score on rebound...

And nomatter what I do on defensive corners they will score. If I defend every corner and wins the duel, they will score on rebound...

Amen to this! No matter what I seem to do in this ME I'm punished by rebounds. Is an absoloute farce that your team can functionally defend well, set tactics to defend players and spaces but you have no control of the ME letting the AI score like this.

Essentially every game I'm having to go into 1-0 down due to this factor - at a minimum! This makes managing an underdog virtually impossible to set up a game plan to defend, when even when you do that you know it won't work as the ME won't reward that.

So I have just played the Play Off semifinal against Bournemouth. Got 1-1 away, and then it was time for the home game that i feard...And I just did one change to the tactic, I made my full backs to Limited Full Back. And won 4-1, with 100% controll of the match, and only 1 corner goal against. But I need to test it in alot of matches before I think that is a solution. I have tried to fix this problem the entire season, and feel that every change I make works for some games, then suddently stop working. So need more testing...

But atleast, Play Off final against Norwich or Millwall :D

Edit: And if you are in the Championship, then get Jack Grealish on a loan, he is a machine... 15 goals and 18 assists, most assists in the Championship

Yeah, but then I feel I have controll in the defence, while the playmaker type, the wingers and the striker has to take the offensive work, which so far has worked good. With the 4-1 win in the semi final, and 2-0 win in the final against Norwich. But as i said, I need more testing since I feel every change I have made has workd fine, but then it suddently stopd working...

So yeah, ofc It is more defensive and the full back's is much less often in attack, but it works good so far with good wingers that can both play good passes and create stuff on there own...

Archived