Direct/Defensive football philosphies

Hi guys, going into my 2nd season on my save and I've taken over as manager of Sevilla after a season at Norwich. One of the philosophies I have to adhere to is to play more direct football and defensive football. I'm looking for advice on formations and instructions that would suit this. So far I'm planning on going with this. (4-3-3 2DM Wide)

GK

CWB - A

BPD - C

CD - D

WB - S

A - D

BWM - S

AP - A

AP - A

IF - S

F9 - S

More direct passing

Lower tempo

Play Narrower

Whipped Crosses

Any advice on extra instructions for team/player would be much appreciated as these Sevilla guys don't seem like they're wanting me to mess around :lol:

My team wouldn't suit a 4-4-1-1 at all pretty much has to be 3 in the middle, I'll add be more disciplined though and wouldn't a cover CB be good if my FBs are really offensive, make sure there's always someone ready to sweep up anything if they caught. If not I can easily just change him to defend as well

In my (albeit limited) experience in La Liga, the majority of the teams are looking for an attritional war for possession. They want to pack the midfield, play a high line, get their fullbacks forward, and keep the ball as much as possible.

I had some success with a counter strategy, Clear Ball to Flanks, More Direct Passing, Pass Into Space. It's surprisingly easy to get around the back of some of these teams. They look totally unprepared for it, like "Hey! You can't do that! Get back here and fight us for control of midfield!"

Who is going to score your goals? You don't have any players attacking the box, even your striker is set to drop deep and play others in. But there isn't anyone to play in. Your only attack duties are on playmakers who don't attack the box so you really need to change your duties and probably drop one of the playmakers so you actually have a goal threat.

Archived