Team cannot keep possession, defend or attack effectively

Afternoon folks, I seem to be having a bit of trouble with... well, everything.

I'm managing Reading in the Premier League, after doing well for two seasons (champions then 10th) with a direct attacking 4-4-2 which seemed to work more by luck than judgement, I've tried to create a tactic which doesn't purely work by utilising the cross exploit (although the AI obviously has no qualms about using it...) and try and get a more consistent performance than scoring loads one week then conceding loads the next, which happened with the previous tactic.

After reading the 'Tricking the Wizard' thread, I've minimised TIs and PIs and tried to play a more possession based tactic, as follows:

My usual tactic is a 4-1-4-1, Defensive, Structured setup with Pass Into Space, Play Out Of Defence and Lower Tempo - it's won maybe one time in ten games. I'm obviously missing something but my head is so full of conflicting ideas after reading threads on here that I don't know where to go with it.

GK - D

RB - CWB ; I'm trying to get him forward more, but his positional heat map remains largely the same at the full back on the other side

RCB - LD St ; the idea is he will head off anything coming in over the CWB when he is out of position

LCB - LD Co

LB - FB S

DM - DM S (or D)

RM - WM S ; I've previously asked him to sit narrower and cut inside, but it made no discernible difference to his heat map so I've stopped doing so

RCM - CM S

LCM - CM A

LM - W A

ST - F9

The goalkeeper is set to Pass Shorter, Distribute to Full Backs and take Short Kicks, all of which he ignores but that's the least of my worries really.

This set up regularly allows 20+ shots in a game and has a maximum of about 40% possession, which is the same as I was experiencing with my old attacking tactic. It seems I've managed to cut out the goals from my team but not affected the opponents performance in any way. I previously had this formation set up on 'Counter' but it performed no better. Reading are one of the weakest teams in the division so I'm not expecting to win many away games, but I'm routinely getting thumped at home even by teams at the bottom of the league.

I concede the vast majority of my goals from the wings, although it is slightly more from the side with the FB rather than the CWB. My team finds it difficult to score from open play.

At this point I'm fairly close to reverting to the wing exploit tactic, but is just seems so unsatisfying. But, if it's the only way to beat the ME....

Thank you for the hint, I've added a BBM to my midfield instead of a simple CM(S). Experimenting with a RPM in the DM strata as well, but I'm struggling to see how their added presence upfield is going to win me any more possession or help the team keep the number of shots the opposition has down.

In the three games since this change I have still only scored from set pieces and am still conceding way too many shots and too much possession.

You are still not penetrating the opposition box enough. B2B can't be relied upon to get you consistent goals, your false 9 and winger attack are creators not main goal scoring threats. If you don't worry the opposition with dangerous runs then, they will pick off your one threat the CMa and keep you pinned back. This has a knock on effect of reducing your own possession and adding pressure to your back line, recycling possession becomes non existent for you as your attacks will break down easily.

The winger attack is almost redundant in this tactic, the false 9 will not be getting on the end of many crosses and nobody attacks the back post

I actually think the tactic is decent in terms of Role / Duty allocation, it's not a million miles away from a 4-1-4-1 I used with Southampton.

Where it lacks is in terms of Mentality. I can see why you'd be cautious (is this your first season after promotion?) but with that shape you have great strength on the flanks and with a DM.

I actually think the tactic is decent in terms of Role / Duty allocation, it's not a million miles away from a 4-1-4-1 I used with Southampton.

Where it lacks is in terms of Mentality. I can see why you'd be cautious (is this your first season after promotion?) but with that shape you have great strength on the flanks and with a DM.

Switching the LCM and RCM roles around would help enormously in my opinion, the supporting RM would link up much better with the CMa on his side. Also ditching the winger for a wide midfielder on attack who cuts inside would be much better for penetrating the box more.

Switching the LCM and RCM roles around would help enormously in my opinion, the supporting RM would link up much better with the CMa on his side. Also ditching the winger for a wide midfielder on attack who cuts inside would be much better for penetrating the box more.

Oh, there are certainly some tweaks to make, but it's not far away at all.

I think my midfield ended being an Anchor at DM, a Roaming Playmaker and CM (A) in the middle, a Wide Playmaker on Attack on one side and a Winger on Attack on the other.

Thanks for the input chaps, I've tried to implement a few of those ideas but my results and performances have just gotten worse and worse.

I now play a structured counter philosophy, with shorter passing and play out of defence. Had a tough couple of games to bed the tactic in but then a run of three or four 'winnable' fixtures. Lost all of them.

GK has same instructions as before

RB is now a WBA

Both CBs are LDs, as they are basically hopeless on the ball

LB remains FB (S)

DM is a DLP (S)

I have a WM(S) on the right with Sit Narrower, and a WM(A) on the left with Cuts Inside

RCM is now CM(A), with LCM either B2B or RPM

The striker I have toyed with various roles with zero success: DLF(S/A), Treq and Defensive Forward (S)

I keep losing goals from corners, despite sticking with the same zonal marking configuration which has coped well for two seasons.

I just lost two consecutive home games to teams in the bottom three, which has just about destroyed my enthusiasm. Last season the same team came 10th in the Premier League with a fast, direct, wide 4-4-2 which utilised the crossing exploit but which gave me no control or really any sort of satisfaction. It was however more fun than floundering frustratingly at the bottom of the division.

Why are you trying to play out of defence with Limited Defenders? You have no real defensive duty in central midfield. Counter mentality coupled with shorter passing and play out of defence is going to invite a press, are you good enough to play through that press? Not all teams will play the same against you, have a look at the next oppositions manager profile to see how he likes to set up, for instance an Attacking, passing game can be countered with a half press and fast transitions into a counter attack.

Archived