Discussion: Player Instructions & my Chelsea tactic

I've had a successful save with Chelsea and I was sharing my tactics with a few people on Facebook. One of the people I shared the tactic with said you must have been cheating because you haven't given any of the outfield players any individual instructions. My reply was: why would you bog down talented players with tons of individual instructions, just let them play football and express themselves. We're talking about Hazard, Fabregas, Costa, etc here. Anyway what's your thoughts on this? Is it really necessary to give top players loads of individual instructions?

For those interested, this is the tactic that gave me success. I beat Leicester 8-0 and Arsenal 6-0 with this tactic.

Chelsea - 4-2-3-1 wide - Control - Fluid

Instructions: Play out of defence, Exploit the flanks, Play Wider, Push Higher Up, Close Down More, Stay on Feet

GK (Defend) - Individual instruction: Kick it short

FB Right (Support) Azpilicueta

FB Left (Support) Filipe Luis

CD (Defend) Terry

CD (Defend) Cahill

Deep-lying playmaker (Support) Fabregas

Central Midfield (Defend) Matic

Inside Forward (Support) Hazard

Attacking Midfielder (Attack) Oscar

Winger (Support) Willian

Complete Forward (Attack) Diego Costa

It's a bit crazy for people to say that you need to have Player Instructions. I tend to use quite a few, but know that Cleon hasn't used many at all so far on FM15.

As ever, it's about how much you want to influence a players' general style. I've used loads of PIs to reduce crossing, shorten passing length and reduce long shots (in addition to TIs to do the same) and it has clearly been effective in matches compared to not having those PIs selected. The most important thing is that you are happy with how the players are performing.

I've been doing superb with this tactic but the one thing I have noticed is Eden Hazard is brilliant at cutting inside but he keeps missing the target. So I could either improve his long range finishing or tell him to shoot less?

Managing teams like Chelsea, City and United you really don't need PIs to make it work. They have so many gifted players that they will play very good no matter.

Personally I very rarely use PIs even when managing smaller teams. I've never had any success in finding the right formula this way, so I tend to look for better options.

I've been doing superb with this tactic but the one thing I have noticed is Eden Hazard is brilliant at cutting inside but he keeps missing the target. So I could either improve his long range finishing or tell him to shoot less?

Yep. You could also use Work Ball Into Box as a TI and train PPMs like Places Shots, and untrain any nasty long range shooting PPMs he may have.

Yep. You could also use Work Ball Into Box as a TI and train PPMs like Places Shots, and untrain any nasty long range shooting PPMs he may have.

I tend to use Work the Ball into the Box when things aren't going so well attacking wise in the game. But I've started using it from the off too recently.

Player instructions are just modifiers to the player roles. It's not like your team is playing without instruction; Deep-lying playmaker (Support) is a whole stack of instructions and suggestions on its own.

Some positions in my formation use no PIs, others use 5/6, based on how I feel the roles on offer suit my tactical plan. If I want a conservative left-back that mainly recycles play back to the centre of the field, but also takes up a fairly high position to be an out-ball (and I currently do), then that's where PIs get used.

Even talented players can benefit from some guidance in how to contribute to the team.

I fully support the above assertions Colinho - I rarely use player instructions. Normally about 5 across the entire team maximum. If your team is playing well, do not use them unnecessarily. If you have to use too many instructions, there is the chance you are using the wrong role.

I was looking at putting 'More Risky Passes' for Fabregas because in the deep-lying playmaker role he didn't have many assists. But I was successful in my first season but it also felt wrong not seeing Fabregas with tons of assists. *shrug* lol

I was looking at putting 'More Risky Passes' for Fabregas because in the deep-lying playmaker role he didn't have many assists. But I was successful in my first season but it also felt wrong not seeing Fabregas with tons of assists. *shrug* lol

Roaming Playmaker to get him to keep up with play a little more?

Roaming Playmaker to get him to keep up with play a little more?

I will have to give that one a test. The one thing that frustrates me the most is when the other teams begin to match you. Like with Chelsea I was on fire all season until the later stages when I had to start snatching draws even at home. For the majority of the season I was dominating possession and the ball, now I'm finding my team is sat deep in games against teams I was once destroying with ease.

I will have to give that one a test. The one thing that frustrates me the most is when the other teams begin to match you. Like with Chelsea I was on fire all season until the later stages when I had to start snatching draws even at home. For the majority of the season I was dominating possession and the ball, now I'm finding my team is sat deep in games against teams I was once destroying with ease.

This could be management of your team who are getting nervous at the business end of the season. Keep morale high and expectations a bit lower if they are struggling with nerves.

Player instructions are generally only necessary if it is required that a player play a role that does not include an instruction that is necessary to the system, where that player role is more suited to the system than a player role that naturally includes that instruction. Great current example: mark tighter, close down more often for an IF(A).

Unless you're a control freak, I suppose. Or you're trying to create a different role entirely...

Archived