Denial of a Goalscoring Opportunity

Why are players never sent off for DOGSO?

Can anyone provide any examples of DOGSO offences where the guy was binned?

I've not had a single DOGSO red card yet in my save, yet I'm six months into the season and have had five instances where, as a referee myself, I would have dismissed for DOGSO yet the player received no card or a yellow.

I can upload some happily to the bugs forum if I can establish whether or not this is actually a bug. I'm more intrigued as to whether DOGSO red cards actually happen or not, seeing as I always look at red cards in the match reports for all the leagues I have on now and very rarely see a red card for anything other than a bad foul in the middle of the pitch.

There are two sending-off offences that deal with denying an opponent an obvious opportunity to score a goal:

1. If a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball.
  2. If a player denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (direct or indirect) or a penalty kick

Criteria for deciding when to penalise for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity:

1. The direction of the play.
  2. The location of the foul.
  3. The proximity of the player to the ball.
  4. The probability of controlling the ball.
  5. The location and number of opponents.
  6. The opportunity for the attempt on goal.

With all that under consideration - it's probably listed as "Professional Foul".

If it's a rough tackle denying a goal then it's probably listed as "Violent Conduct".

No.

Rough tackle is Serious Foul Play... not that the reasons are listed with reds on FM (not that I see anywhere anyway). You're right that the correct term for DOGSO is professional foul, but is there actually any red cards for professional fouls/DOGSO offences within FM?

Then I would say that FM15 deems a professional foul in fact as serious foul play and not denial of a goalscoring opportunity. Very sad to see that such a big part of football is missing from the game (DOGSO red cards), especially seeing as we see 4-5 DOGSO red cards across the top four leagues in England every week without fail!!

If it's flagged as someone being sent off for a professional foul it could well be a DOGSO.

It's just not specific.

Like when saying things like "violent behaviour" it doesn't say "does a flying kick into the crowd".

I would say DOGSO is more common at lower league levels than at a higher standard, but is still present.

To give some figures, last year in the Conference across 555 total fixtures being played (including play-off semi final & final), the disciplinary sanctions were as follows:

3,159 cautions

227 dismissals

Of the 227 dismissals:

S1 - 39 dismissals

S2 - 25 dismissals

S3 - 2 dismissals

S4 & S5 - 105 dismissals

S6 - 4 dismissals

S7 - 52 dismissals

As you can see, almost half of all red cards issued were for DOGSO.

(I would've done this for the PL or FL, but could only find misconduct stats for the Conference)

This is what I am talking about mikenevo, I get penalties, soft sometimes albeit but then I think that if the referee has decided it's a penalty there's no way he can't send the player off for stopping my guy from scoring. I don't know, meh. I'll try to go back and get some of my highlights into the bugs forum I guess.

PS: I'm surprised that there was an average of 1 red card every two games in the conference last season!

Wouldn't say the ARSvEVE game is a DOGSO as Arsenal do still have two players inbetween the ball and the goal.

DOGSO as he was about to shoot clear on goal basically. Well, at least we can see DOGSOs are given, even if they are rare. Thanks for sharing guys.

Archived