Long Term Contracts & Players Salaries

I wanted to know how others handled situations like theses....

I signed a 20 y/o "wonderkid" when I was promoted to the Serie B on a long-term contract, optional extension by club, etc. I signed him for, at the time, a decent weekly wage (8.5k p/w).

I am now a mid-table team in the Serie A and the wonderkid actually lived up to the hype. Through bringing players in, the wage ranges went up, etc, etc. I now have a maximum wage of 60k p/w (for a key player)

This wonderkid has 3 years remaining on his contract, with another 1 year optional extension. He actually is one of my key players and is absolutely, drastically underpaid.

Should I offer him a new contract to get him up in line with the others? (I certainly have the wage budget to do so, and he certainty deserves it).

Part of me wants to b/c I feel bad to be completely honest (silly reason...I know, but I grew attached to him!), but then when I think about it - financially - it makes absolutely no sense to do this. He has essentially 4 years left on relatively nothing wages!

Should I wait until he complains? What do you guys do in situations like this?

I would generally wait a little while.

Sometimes he asks, sometimes your staff advise offering one, sometimes he is quite happy as he is.

If other clubs start to show interest thats maybe the time but I would try to wait until he has between 1-2 years left on his current deal.

Archived