Getting your IF's to score.

Hi everyone,

I have real issue getting my IF's to score in any tactic I use. I don't have a specific one at the moment as I've stopped using them for now, but usually I would do something like:

DLF/F9 (s)

IF (A) - AP (s) - IF (s)

to try and drag the defenders out of place with the forward and exploit the space with my wingers, but my IF's never seem to score goals.

What tips, tricks and tactics do you guys have to score with your wingers?

Hi everyone,

I have real issue getting my IF's to score in any tactic I use. I don't have a specific one at the moment as I've stopped using them for now, but usually I would do something like:

DLF/F9 (s)

IF (A) - AP (s) - IF (s)

to try and drag the defenders out of place with the forward and exploit the space with my wingers, but my IF's never seem to score goals.

What tips, tricks and tactics do you guys have to score with your wingers?

The issue with using a DLF/F9 and a AP when trying to create for space for people to run into is they are occupying the area you want to exploit. For example your DLF/F9 is dragging the defenders out of position by dropping deep but this makes him closer to the AP. It also means the AP/DLF and oppositions defenders are all in the space you want the IF to run into or exploit. It's over kill. If you want the striker dropping deep then you shouldn't be using a creative player behind him imo (this is if you want to create what you've mentioned btw and not a set rule) that way the IF's will actually have space to run into. Personally I'd use a supportive AM like you have but then make the striker an advanced forward so he pushes the defensive line back and occupies the defence then the IF's will have plenty of space to run into and have a AP to support them and a striker in advanced positions if they need the help.

The issue with using a DLF/F9 and a AP when trying to create for space for people to run into is they are occupying the area you want to exploit. For example your DLF/F9 is dragging the defenders out of position by dropping deep but this makes him closer to the AP. It also means the AP/DLF and oppositions defenders are all in the space you want the IF to run into or exploit. It's over kill. If you want the striker dropping deep then you shouldn't be using a creative player behind him imo (this is if you want to create what you've mentioned btw and not a set rule) that way the IF's will actually have space to run into. Personally I'd use a supportive AM like you have but then make the striker an advanced forward so he pushes the defensive line back and occupies the defence then the IF's will have plenty of space to run into and have a AP to support them and a striker in advanced positions if they need the help.

Ahhh ok that makes sense. My logic was the IF would run behind the creative players who drag the CB's out, but actually that makes more sense. Have them a little deeper but running at the defence from 'between the lines'. Makes a lot of sense. What PI's/Ti's would you use to specifically make the most out of the IF (A)?

Thanks.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with my AML and AMR set as Inside Forwards with an attack duty. My striker is set as a Deep Lying Forward with a support duty. In 3 of my last 4 seasons my AMR has finished as my top goal scorer with this setup. I don't give them any PIs. However, I believe this works because they cut into the spaces behind the defenders and I use the 'Pass Into Space' TI so the DLF plays a lot of through balls to them.

Obviously player attributes are important too. I always look for players with good off the ball, pace, dribbling and finishing. Sometimes I will sign players who are good poachers and advanced forwards and retrain them as inside forwards as they tend to have suitable attributes for this role.

Archived